Trump says he will dissolve foundation amid NY investigation

rooster59

Trump says he will dissolve foundation amid NY investigation 

VIVIAN SALAMA, Associated Press

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) — President-elect Donald Trump said Saturday he will dissolve his charitable foundation amid efforts to eliminate any conflicts of interest before he takes office next month.

The revelation comes as the New York attorney general's office investigates the foundation following media reports that foundation spending went to benefit Trump's campaign.

Trump said in a statement that he has directed his counsel to take the necessary steps to implement the dissolution of the Donald J. Trump Foundation, saying that it operated "at essentially no cost for decades, with 100 percent of the money going to charity."

"The foundation has done enormous good works over the years in contributing millions of dollars to countless worthy groups, including supporting veterans, law enforcement officers and children," he said in a statement.

"I will be devoting so much time and energy to the presidency and solving the many problems facing our country and the world. I don't want to allow good work to be associated with a possible conflict of interest," he said.

Trump said he will pursue philanthropic efforts in other ways, but didn't elaborated on how he'd do so.

A 2015 tax return posted on the nonprofit monitoring website GuideStar shows the Donald J. Trump Foundation acknowledged that it used money or assets in violation of IRS regulations — not only during 2015, but in prior years.

Those regulations prohibit self-dealing by the charity. That's broadly defined as using its money or assets to benefit Trump, his family, his companies or substantial contributors to the foundation.

The tax filing doesn't provide details on the violations. Whether Trump benefited from the foundation's spending has been the subject of an investigation by New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman.

In September, Schneiderman disclosed that his office has been investigating Trump's charity to determine whether it has abided by state laws governing nonprofits.

Documents obtained by The Associated Press in September showed Schneiderman's scrutiny of The Donald J. Trump Foundation dated back to at least June, when his office formally questioned the donation made by the charity to a group supporting Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi.

Bondi personally solicited the money during a 2013 phone call that came after her office received complaints from former students claiming they were scammed by Trump University, Trump's get-rich-quick real estate seminars.

The Trump Foundation check arrived just days after Bondi's office told a newspaper it was reviewing a lawsuit against Trump University filed by Schneiderman. Bondi's office never sued Trump, though she denies his donation played any role in that decision.

Trump later paid a $2,500 fine over the check from his foundation because it violated federal law barring charities from making political contributions.

Amy Spitalnick, press secretary for Schneiderman's office, said Saturday that the foundation "cannot legally dissolve" until the investigation is complete.

The charitable foundation was ordered to immediately stop fundraising in New York just weeks before the general election, Schneiderman's office saying it wasn't registered to do so. The N.Y. attorney general's office said in October the Trump Foundation had a registration for an organization with assets in New York, but the law requires a different registration for those that solicit more than $25,000 a year from the public. It complied with the order and stopped its fundraising activities.

Trump was highly critical of Democratic rival Hillary Clinton's family charity, the Clinton Foundation, saying without evidence that she ran "a vast criminal enterprise run out of the State Department" while she was secretary of state. At the final presidential debate, he challenged Clinton to "give back the money" that came from donors in countries that fail to respect various human rights.

More than half the people outside the government who met with Clinton while she was secretary of state gave money — either personally or through companies or groups — to the Clinton Foundation. The proportion indicated possible ethics challenges had she been elected president.

Trump's announcement to dissolve his own foundation came a day after the president-elect took to Twitter to declare it a "ridiculous shame" that his son Eric will have to stop soliciting funds for his charitable foundation, the Eric Trump Foundation, because of a conflict of interest.

"My wonderful son, Eric, will no longer be allowed to raise money for children with cancer because of a possible conflict of interest with my presidency," Trump tweeted. "He loves these kids, has raised millions of dollars for them, and now must stop. Wrong answer!"

Trump was in his South Florida estate, Mar-a-Lago, on Saturday, his retreat for most holidays. He spent the week meeting advisers and interviewing candidates for a handful of Cabinet positions that remain unfilled.

The president-elect also continued his criticism of a decision by the United Nations to condemn Israeli settlements in the West Bank and East Jerusalem, saying Saturday that it "will make it much harder to negotiate peace."

Trump took to Twitter a day after the U.N. Security Council vote on the settlements, saying that the decision is "too bad, but we will get it done anyway."

He didn't elaborate, but a move by the Obama administration to abstain from Friday's U.N. vote brushes aside Trump's demands that the U.S. exercise its veto and provided a climax to years of icy relations with Israel's leadership.

In a change of personnel, one of Trump's senior communications staffers, Jason Miller, said Saturday he would not take the job of White House communications director after all. Miller said in a statement that he and his wife are expecting their second daughter in January and "this is not the right time to start a new job." In his place, Sean Spicer will serve as communications director as well as press secretary.

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-12-25

God, there is no end to this man's deceit.   His charity has been accused of giving money to questionable political causes and politicians, in violation of laws and regulations.   It has several other unethical accusations.   

The foundation can't be dissolved, as Donald says, because it is under investigation.   

every time i hear the words 'charitable organization', i think of illegal activity hidden under the guise of charity.  it is really too bad.  i hope only a small percentage work this way but i have a feeling alot of the money donated to 'the cause' is redirected to other efforts (paying large salaries, first class plane rides, luxury hotels, etc..).

That foundation is small peanuts and not really any sort of issue. The big issue is his holdings around the world, where the big money is, and what he may do to protect and/or increase his assets. The foundation hub bub is just a distraction from reality once more.

While we are at it, what happened to the cessation of his business and all the conflict of interests that accompany it?

Oh, and for that matter, what about releasing the tax returns?

It's a real cesspool this one. The Trump clan are taking corruption to new levels. Both down in the gutter with the Mob and tying private business interests to government policy both foreign and domestic. All the time just lying through their teeth denying black is white.

44 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

While we are at it, what happened to the cessation of his business and all the conflict of interests that accompany it?

Oh, and for that matter, what about releasing the tax returns?

It's a real cesspool this one. The Trump clan are taking corruption to new levels. Both down in the gutter with the Mob and tying private business interests to government policy both foreign and domestic. All the time just lying through their teeth denying black is white.

Yes sir. What a surprise eh? lol lol 

3 hours ago, buick said:

every time i hear the words 'charitable organization', i think of illegal activity hidden under the guise of charity.  it is really too bad.  i hope only a small percentage work this way but i have a feeling alot of the money donated to 'the cause' is redirected to other efforts (paying large salaries, first class plane rides, luxury hotels, etc..).

And therein lies the problem....

Few of us trust any charities nowadays as we've learned that too much of the income is spend on 'administration' - for which read huge salaries for those running the charities.  Not illegal, but also far from the expectations of those donating.

But this is off-topic, and hopefully we'll eventually find out whether Trump and Clintons' 'foundations' have been spending their foundations' money pursuing their own agendas.

2 hours ago, buick said:

i wouldn't be touting the charity watch ratings.  the stuff i noted in my earlier post (first class travel, luxury lodging, etc...) can't really be 'found' by a review of tax returns and other docs (they can probably just make stuff up as no one really challenges them, as in 'can you confirm those were all legit travel expenses).  i'm sure they do a good job of exposing the worst.  but i wouldn't go so far as to suggest their top rated entities are 'clean'.

i'm far from an expert on the topic but the cost to administer a 10 million charity shouldn't really cost much more than a 100 million charity.  and some of the scrutiny placed on charities uses some percentage of the charity proceeds going to real causes versus the charity expenses/employees.  let's just say it is 80/20.  so give 8 million, at expense of 2 million.  or give 80 million, expense of 20 million.  so the bigger the charity, the easier to 'hide' the expenses used by the employees.  in the larger case, it should probably be more like 95/5.

In other words, you know better than the people who make these evaluations their life work. And the data you provide was so near to being not nonexistent.

9 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Amy Spitalnick, press secretary for Schneiderman's office, said Saturday that the foundation "cannot legally dissolve" until the investigation is complete.

Better hurry and dissolve this Foundation so no more ugly investigations can take place! Who knows how many more past violations would come up. Must be some pretty interesting stuff the con-man POTUS-elect doesn't want coming to light. The foundation has already admitted to violating IRS rules by improperly giving money to someone close to the organization. Keep on digging and let's see what else is buried there.

4 hours ago, atyclb said:

good idea. dissolve clinton foundation also, the foundation that excels at charitable giving to themselves.

Usual defence I see.  Try and drag Clinton into the mix as some sort of mitigation.  Surely everyone is getting tired of all of this by now.  Trump is what he is and the USA will have to pay the price for their votes

13 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

Examples of this so-called 'sleaziness ?

That will be what the investigation is about, I assume.

2016 is nearly over and it cannot come too soon for me.  Worst year I can remember for a long time but some out there will be celebrating.  2017 is not going to be dull, that is for sure!

6 hours ago, atyclb said:

good idea. dissolve clinton foundation also, the foundation that excels at charitable giving to themselves.

Clinton Foundation scores 5 out of 5 stars on an grading system aimed at grading foundations.

On the other hand, Trump saying he'll dissolve his foundation (who believes anything he says?) ....reminds me of former Thai ministry officials, when they're being investigated for illegal activity:  They simply say, "I'm no longer the Minister, so how can I be investigated for something that happened in the past?"

How about the thousands of contractors on Trump construction projects who got shafted by Trump?  Perhaps Trump can simply say, "I am no longer CEO of those construction projects, so any lawsuits are moot.  They have no merit, because I quit being chairman of those companies."

2 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

How about giving thousands of dollar, of Trump foundation money, to the Florida AG, days before she decided not to take any legal action on behalf of hundreds of Florida residents who got ripped-off by Trump University.  A day after she made her decision (to let Trump U off the hook), she was feted at Mar-A-Lago by Trump and his kids.  Was she given more gifts?   .....a large diamond ring perhaps?    ....a swimming pool for her house?

....and he still hasn't released any tax statements.  He promised he would.  Yet another of the dozens/hundreds of broken promises in his oil slick wake. 

17 months ago, he declared, "I would love to release my tax forms, believe me."

Boomerang asks; Why is one of the most powerful men on the planet not able to do something he would love to do?

13 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

How about giving thousands of dollar, of Trump foundation money, to the Florida AG, days before she decided not to take any legal action on behalf of hundreds of Florida residents who got ripped-off by Trump University.  A day after she made her decision (to let Trump U off the hook), she was feted at Mar-A-Lago by Trump and his kids.  Was she given more gifts?   .....a large diamond ring perhaps?    ....a swimming pool for her house?

Actually, and here's a perfect example of the difference between a trustworthy news source and a fake news source, the New York Times did an investigation of that which at least partially exculpated the Florida AG and Trump:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/15/us/politics/pam-bondi-donald-trump-foundation.html

But you know the Times did try to bury the story by putting it on the front page.

3 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

You must be joking.

Here is my personal favorite:

He spent $20,000 that other people donated to his "foundation" to purchase a 6 foot portrait of himself.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/a-clue-to-the-whereabouts-of-the-6-foot-tall-portrait-of-donald-trump/2016/09/14/ae65db82-7a8f-11e6-ac8e-cf8e0dd91dc7_story.html?utm_term=.7689ed0e0589

Edited by up-country_sinclair

12 minutes ago, up-country_sinclair said:

You must be joking.

Here is my personal favorite:

He spent $20,000 that other people donated to his "foundation" to purchase a 6 foot portrait of himself.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/a-clue-to-the-whereabouts-of-the-6-foot-tall-portrait-of-donald-trump/2016/09/14/ae65db82-7a8f-11e6-ac8e-cf8e0dd91dc7_story.html?utm_term=.7689ed0e0589

Yeah, I like the fact that it was Melania that actually got the final bid of $10,000 but the auctioneer asked to go higher so the final price paid was $20,000 but wait, it wasn't actually paid by Melania but by Trump Foundation (of which she is not an officer). So a painting of Mr Ego was paid for by his foundation and is currently placed at one of his golf courses. Sure, seems legit to...um, no one.