What is the title of that book

JAS21

I know that there is a book that is recommended to be read by the foriegner who is in a relationship with a Thai Lady. It explains customs/culture differences etc

Can someone please jog my memory ..it's not for me nor does the title start with Men Are From Mars ...☺

I met a guy who maybe needs to read it...

thanks

Do you believe that a book about Americans would explain you (assuming you are from the USA or a book about Brits would explain you if your a Brit). I know for a fact that there are so many different Dutch people and that our customs vary and not everyone is as strict that a book like that would be no more then entertainment with little real value. Ok it might show some stereotype but most people dont match those. 

Most Thai girls I met were quite modern and had not much of the foolishness that i see here on this site. Maybe because I only went after woman with a job that were self-reliant. I think it will be hard to describe all Thais in a book. Just my opinion. 

21 minutes ago, robblok said:

Do you believe that a book about Americans would explain you (assuming you are from the USA or a book about Brits would explain you if your a Brit). I know for a fact that there are so many different Dutch people and that our customs vary and not everyone is as strict that a book like that would be no more then entertainment with little real value. Ok it might show some stereotype but most people dont match those. 

Most Thai girls I met were quite modern and had not much of the foolishness that i see here on this site. Maybe because I only went after woman with a job that were self-reliant. I think it will be hard to describe all Thais in a book. Just my opinion. 

Thank you ... a man with experiance. I am relatively inexperianced compared to you. Having only been married 14 years ...we spent the early years in the UK and the last 9 years here and have no desire to finish our days anywhere else.

I take your point ... however there is nothing wrong with having your eyes opened wider ...thanks

4 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

Thank you ... a man with experiance. I am relatively inexperianced compared to you. Having only been married 14 years ...we spent the early years in the UK and the last 9 years here and have no desire to finish our days anywhere else.

I take your point ... however there is nothing wrong with having your eyes opened wider ...thanks

Been here 10 years so around the same time as you.

Point is that humans (last time I checked Thais were human too) vary so much and a southern Thai and a Northern Thai differ and one from Bangkok again will differ. Then we got the age factor and education and so on and so on. Just find it hard to believe that a book would be able to do more then just stereotype people. 

But I do like your intentions about learning more. 

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Been here 10 years so around the same time as you.

Point is that humans (last time I checked Thais were human too) vary so much and a southern Thai and a Northern Thai differ and one from Bangkok again will differ. Then we got the age factor and education and so on and so on. Just find it hard to believe that a book would be able to do more then just stereotype people. 

But I do like your intentions about learning more. 

Yes ... as I said in post #1 ...it's not for me ...Mrs J tells me all I need to know ...☺

1 minute ago, JAS21 said:

Yes ... as I said in post #1 ...it's not for me ...Mrs J tells me all I need to know ...☺

I had my glasses on but missed that my apologies. It might be useful for some people to read who are fresh off the boat. (as a matter of saying). 

I just see Thais as individuals but of course after all the years spend here I know what to look out for.

51 minutes ago, sipi said:

"I know that there is a book that is recommended to be read by the foriegner who is in a relationship with a Thai Lady."

The bible. 

Could you narrow it down to which Testiment or better still which Book ?

Edited by JAS21

1 hour ago, JAS21 said:

Could you narrow it down to which Testiment or better still which Book ?

My memory isn't that good, and it was actually a poor joke.:ph34r:

Anyway I am sure it offers better advice than all these so-called books on offer.

7 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Private Dancer is a great book and a fun read. Try also some of Christopher G. Moore's books. 

Love his books!    Anyone interested in Thai culture and the craziness that goes on here would enjoy them.. great reads!

https://www.google.co.th/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=Christopher+G+Moor+books

If it is Thai culture apart from those recommended above try these:

Culture Shock – Thailand  -  Robert & Nantopa Cooper

Publisher:  Marshall Cavendish  ISBN 981 276 1347

----------------------------------------------------------------

Thai Ways  -  Denis Segaller

Pant Books:  ISBN 974 202 006 X

----------------------------------------------------------------

Working with the Thais  -  Henry Holmes and Suchada Tangtongtavy

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Lucien Hanks "Merit and Power in the Thai Social Order", 1962 and Fred W Riggs 1966).

A good but sad read is a book called   Only13 

Its a true story of a young girl entering prostitution and wanting to marry a rich foreigner and how it goes sadly wrong for her.

The beginning of the book talks about some Thai cultures and the reason for her story.

Sorry I can't remember her or the authors name but it's well worth a read if you can find it

Best one I know for advice on how to safely and politely manage a relationship with a Thai girl is "In the bedroom - Out of trouble". I found it very useful, and because it has sections in Thai the girlfriend can join in. I have been married (to the same girl) for 18 years now.

After first Thailand visit I read these and they were very useful..

Thai Ways.....

More Thai ways....

Mai Pen Rai means never mind...

Culture Shock Thailand...

Monsoon Country, Pira Sudham... about Isaan life

many good later books now .....

Private Dancer has good warnings about the bargirl scene

19 hours ago, sipi said:

"I know that there is a book that is recommended to be read by the foriegner who is in a relationship with a Thai Lady."

The bible. 

I personally liked reading Private Dancer as it helps you see the gold digger type bar girls and some Thai culture issues.   Having said that I also know several bar girls that make the rest of us seem like the dishonest ones and I trust and enjoy them more than some expats I know. 

Yes but there are many chapters intentionally left out of the Bible by the male dominated religious "leaders" that specifically deal with women and men. 

You ever read those forbidden chapters? Quite interesting to read but will change your mind about past male relIgion leadership. Your God and the creator of life is great ----it is humans that screw it all up and make life worth living including myself. Peace ?