Alternatives to Truevision

dick dasterdly

I have an 'intelligent' TV and a Moviemate box.

Unfortunately, I've had endless problems with the router (?)/problems too with the Moviemate box/and no idea as to how the internet connection on the TV works :sad:.

Are there any 'computer wizards' on this forum who can help me out?

I live in Rawai.

Edited by dick dasterdly

The first step would be to go into the menu on your tv and look for an option labelled "Network" or something similar.

You should be able to then tell whether you can connect wirelessly or whether you have to use a cable.

If its wireless enabled then it should detect your home internet and its just a case of clicking on "connect" and putting in your password. 

I use Pulse TV who have been the best option for me out of all the other IPTV providers which I have tried, they offer some Thai FTA channels to keep the missus happy and they are the only company I could find who doesn't buffer at busy times like when the footy is on, and a good selection of UK, USA channels with catchup. You can see more details on their website www.pulse-tv.net 

Many thanks everyone, I'll try to work it all out in a few days.

Incidentally, I already have an internet cable to the router box (?) - but, if I understood correctly, the cable from the router box to the TV is broken/damaged, according the the LG TV repair man I called out when the picture on the relatively new TV started playing up.  He was obviously right about the cable as he disconnected it, and no further problems with the TV picture.

I gather the router box (?) is needed because of the number of 'possibilities' or connections - i.e. surround sound system (which can change between TV/DVD player etc.)/Truevision box and Moviemate box.

Random Android TV box circa 3000-6000b (you kind of get what you pay for), install Kodi and exodus  for yourself and you have the world of movies and TV series at your disposal for free (thai subs available for about 50% of stuff that's not brand new). 

For the missus install ilikeHD and go with the free option, this gives her most of the free to air channels like channel 3 ,3HD, C7, C8....)

So far no ongoing subscription costs beyond your internet fee

If you want live TV/sports ilikeHD is good as well as you can go paid for either a monthly sub or just for a few hours ( basically pay as go) , this has options that includes most true channels and on top UK (Freeview and Sky), French, German and Indian channels (there are ways to get these for free though exodus as well but find ilikeHD better for live TV)

Alternative option is a vpn to gain access to anything online  but honestly, while i did that before stopped few months after discovering exodus.

Only two downsides, if you are useless at IT you might need to get someone to set up for you and if you go exodus route you will never be able to enjoy regular live TV with advertisement breaks again

20 hours ago, Griffo63 said:

Any thoughts on getting English/American movies and/or series with Thai subtitles

TT torrents for thai dubbed or subtiles torrents

or use BS player on your computer, it auto opens a window to chose subtiles on everything you watch, set it to thai and download the best rated one. Then take the subtitile file from the /subtitle folder and move it right next to the tv show or movie file, then it will appear on your android box

Just reading this morning, that HBO have already discontinued their supply to True, and it's rumoured that HBO are going to move to AIS Playbox.

I got Pulse TV six months ago, having at the time True internet.   Problems with True internet were highlighted when using Pulse, so changed to AIS Fibre (50/10).   What a difference in quality, and am more than happy with it.   As a bonus, AIS installed a Playbox at the same time as the fibre cable, which has all the Thai channels preloaded.   The real sweetener was that the AIS installation, including the Playbox, cost us nothing.   That might be because we already have AIS contracts on our mobiles however.   Could be that AIS aims to become a significant player for media supply by streaming from their high speed network.

For the major series such as HBO, I download them from torrents all the time, as locally broadcast ones are inevitably a couple of weeks behind the US showing, and are heavily censored.

New scrolling text at the top of "HBO HD" channel: "All HBO channels will stop 1st Jan."

But we will get Warner, Sony, Paramount and - best of all - The Food Channel.  cheesy.gif

From Facebook:

"Warner TV watch at channel 223
Paramount viewed at channel 224
Sony channel watch at channel 225
Fox action movies watched at channel 227
Celestial Classic movies watched at channel 228
Food Network HD watch at channel 342"

I just installed a network cable to my tv and will get the pulse tv box next month.

Just in time to throw the True Vision box through the window back in their shop.

Lost many channels and the price remains the same off-course.

38 minutes ago, Valentine said:

What about the announcement to curtail streaming. Could put a lot of the alternatives out of play.

That related to those sites streaming pirated footage, I believe. There are plenty of legal ones out there.

I see no one has even mentioned the cable networks, whose content is so poor these days they're hardly worth it.

29 minutes ago, madmitch said:

That related to those sites streaming pirated footage, I believe. There are plenty of legal ones out there.

I see no one has even mentioned the cable networks, whose content is so poor these days they're hardly worth it.

That's probably due to Thai Visa's name and shame prohibition policy 

42 minutes ago, madmitch said:

I have Rawai cable as a backup in case True goes off. Worth every baht of the 250 it costs, especially as it has Fox News - the happiest news channel on the planet. smile.gif

8 hours ago, JohnOFphon said:

https://unlocator.com/

I'm new at TV in Thailand. Not moving there for 3 more months.

I take it you can't get streaming TV like HULU..Amazon..etc.?

If I purchase a streaming service before moving and use this Unlocator..do you think it will work or be worth the expense?

You can get many streaming feeds by using either a smart DNS or VPN.

Netflix, however, has been very aggressive in finding and blocking VPN and smart DNS servers in the past few months. 

ExpressVPN I believe is the only VPN provider that consistently stays one step ahead of Netflix. I've been using ExpressVPN the past couple of weeks, and it works perfectly with Netflix USA. A little more expensive than most, at $99/year, but worth it IMO. While ExpressVPN has a version of their software that runs on the router, your router must be able to support user-configurable VPN. This would only be required for streaming boxes such as the Roku, whose built-in Netflix app has geo blocking.

The simplest and most reliable solution for someone wanting to stream geoblocked services is to use ExpressVPN with  Windows, iOS, and/or Android devices.

just rang true visions and told them i was not interested  in their gold package anymore  because of the poor choice in movie channels and constant repeated programs

they offered me a 1 month upgrade to platinum for free which i refused to take then a 6 month period at family package rate with gold programs at that rate which i excepted