What is the "stigma" about tank tops.

joeyg

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Berkshire said:

I wouldn't have a problem with tank tops...except every guy who wears one stinks from here to high heaven!

yep thats a problem.  I don't stink though.   The girls mell me tell me so

I think on the beach and within reasonable proximity of it, they are OK.  Even in a beach town, once you get further inland, in "normal" town area (excluding Dark Side Pattaya), not so much.  That's just how I view it, even being from San Diego.  I don't wear them, don't even own one.  

2 hours ago, 55Jay said:

I think on the beach and within reasonable proximity of it, they are OK.  Even in a beach town, once you get further inland, in "normal" town area (excluding Dark Side Pattaya), not so much.  That's just how I view it, even being from San Diego.  I don't wear them, don't even own one.  

LOL> only wear tank tops if you're near a beach. How many meters from the beach would it become inappropriate in your world? Too bad for people living far from the sea.

10 hours ago, tropo said:

Is it so important to concern yourself with what all the Thai people are thinking of you? I don't notice any difference whether I'm wearing a tank top or a polo, in Pattaya. They are just as unfriendly both ways.:smile: If you want smiles and wais, break out the baht... doesn't matter what you're wearing.

So you think the Thai people in Pattaya are the same ones as in BKK??

In Australia tank tops are a garment made of stretch material worn by girls from above the waist to just above the breasts. Presumably your tank tops are a sleeveless T shirt. Please correct me if I am wrong. What's a wife beater and what's its origin? Shorts above the knee and sandals or flip flops (called thongs in AUS!!) are OK in Australia but NEVER with socks.

Shorts were OK on the beach in Malaysia but if you wore them elsewhere you were thought of as a coolie.

In Thailand I wear polo shirts and shorts in the village, but longs in BKK and dress up for an occasion.

Speaking of T shirts I saw a beautiful and very well equipped young lady wearing one with "I wish these were brains" on it. Best ever .

You say you don't wear ones with advertising....because you don't "like to".

I wouldn' t wear them either but for a different reason.....They're not paying me to advertise their stuff and I'm certainly not going to do it for free.

I remember a time when companies paid people to advertise their goods.  Now when I see all these people who think they are "cool" with logos on their shirts, my mind's eye pictures a load of exectuvies up in some board room rubbing their hands together with glee looking at each other and grinning ....."Imagine guys, we used to actually pay people to advertise our stuff, now they are paying over the odds to do it for free for us, what a crazy world we live in....but keep it up public, we'er saving a fortune".

You say you don't wear ones with advertising....because you don't "like to".

I wouldn' t wear them either but for a different reason.....They're not paying me to advertise their stuff and I'm certainly not going to do it for free.

I remember a time when companies paid people to advertise their goods.  Now when I see all these people who think they are "cool" with logos on their shirts, my mind's eye pictures a load of exectuvies up in some board room rubbing their hands together with glee looking at each other and grinning ....."Imagine guys, we used to actually pay people to advertise our stuff, now they are paying over the odds to do it for free for us, what a crazy world we live in....but keep it up public, we'er saving a fortune".

PS.....what  "stigma"? that's a new one on me.

The Thai have a cultural thing about dressing up.  It's centered around dressing well, grooming well and receiving respect because of one's comportment and appearance. You will occasionally hear comments spoken in Thai that include the word "pu-dee"...meaning so and so looks good. It is a big compliment to be called as such. Too many slovenly Western men dress like beach bums, out on the town often wearing no top at all....and unknowingly are denigrated by most Thai who see them out on the streets and in the malls. There's a time and place to dress like a beach-goer, but most of the time Westerners would fare better by erring on the side of overdressing for any occasion where they mingle with the public. Especially if entering a wat...it is considered a gross insult to try to walk into a temple if not wearing long pants and shirts with sleeves.  Ditto when visiting government offices.  You get the respect you deserve, but why hurt your chances by deliberately looking sloppy?

I think it is about exposing too much naked flesh, especially if your body is somewhat disgusting like really really fat or skin type with blisters and such....Compare the thought of having to see a really fat old Russian lady in g-string on the beach, makes you wanna puke, similarly same goes for a man......

thailand-making-you-fat.jpg

Edited by AlQaholic

Why are the foreigners so perplexed by the dress code here ? You dress according to the occasion, when you go to a wedding, score points with a new gf, go to work, business  meeting or burning/funeral you dress up. I you feel you need to relax you wear informal clothes. You don't need to wear the same as Thai men, they don't wear the same clothes as you. One of the reasons Thai men wear long sleeves and long trousers is that they are blocking the sun, thus they wear what they wear to have a white skin. In return the white skin gives then a more hiso look and thus the association between covered clothing and social status. I have said it before and will say it again your actions are more important than your clothes. I can wear a branded T-shirt and cargo pants that's double the price than someone's long attire and Thai people know their brands and know what they cost. I can make a social status statement without conforming to their dress code which is motivated by a skin colour code which I deplore.

I'm going to sound awful here, but here goes.

Personally I hate them, I'm from a farm worker Hispanic family and all my male relatives wore them at home.

I love my family to death, but I have seared in my mind a single event which doomed the 'wife beater' for ever.

I was 20 years old and took my first college girlfriend, an Anglo San Francisco suburbanite to meet my family. We walked into our family living room to be confronted with a bunch of my overweight uncles and cousins, uniformly wearing the requisite wife beater and shorts cracking a few beers and watching NASCAR.

I saw the look on her face and just wanted to die.

From that day forth I could never bring myself to wear one, and everyttime I see some farang slopping around the mall wearing the 'uniform' I am transported back to that day!

Edited by GinBoy2

13 hours ago, fruitman said:

Haven't you noticed that Thai never speak the truth about what they think?? They will never say something is not done, instead they say "up to you", man at your age you should know that by now.

And there are plenty men who wear singlets to show tattoo's or muscles...haven't you noticed?

Your last sentence, sure there is, show offs and freaks.

Short shorts tank top and white socks , how to recognise an American. Tank top tattoos really short hair long baggy shorts and a can of lager stuck in his hand that's a Brit.

I am British by the way but don't drink and don't wear tank tops hahs

12 hours ago, Berkshire said:

I wouldn't have a problem with tank tops...except every guy who wears one stinks from here to high heaven!

I never get close enough to them to know whether they stink or not, any guy with little clothing on I stay well out of their way, unless at the beach or swimming pool.

12 hours ago, joeyg said:

yep thats a problem.  I don't stink though.   The girls mell me tell me so

I cannot imagine any Thai girls telling any westerners that they smell, they are too nice to want to hurt anyones feelings.

"Samlor" drivers years ago were required by law to wear shorts, and many of them wore tank tops. This made them distinguishable from more wealthy trustworthy Thai's.  A respectable Thai man would never be seen wearing shorts in public or a tank top for that matter. Even though there are very few Samlors around anymore, except for small village towns. The tradition carries on.

1 hour ago, AlQaholic said:

I think it is about exposing too much naked flesh, especially if your body is somewhat disgusting like really really fat or skin type with blisters and such....Compare the thought of having to see a really fat old Russian lady in g-string on the beach, makes you wanna puke, similarly same goes for a man......

thailand-making-you-fat.jpg

You do have a point, so why do Thai girls, I mean, the hookers, shout "hey hansum man" at the disgusting freaks like the one in the picture? I would say it is because they want to make him feel good about himself so he will give them business. I can say in all honesty that no working girl has ever shouted "hey hansum man" at me.

Edited by possum1931
slight change in the words