POTY: And the Winner IS

Scott

3 minutes ago, Fabricus said:

My suggestion

Next year's POTY should feature forum legends Blether, Transam, Jingthing, Nancy and David.

You've all seen Rumble in the Jungle and Thriller in Manila.

Next year ............ Showdown in Siam

suggest you also throw in Cypress Hill, Heavydrinker and Soutpeel

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Fabricus said:

My suggestion

Next year's POTY should feature forum legends Blether, Transam, Jingthing, Nancy and David.

You've all seen Rumble in the Jungle and Thriller in Manila.

Next year ............ Showdown in Siam

but...what about me?...just because I've had to work in saudi, not been able to drink and not been amusing like before now I'm being excluded...oh, boo hoo...life is not fair...

5 minutes ago, Cockwomble said:

suggest you also throw in Cypress Hill, Heavydrinker and Soutpeel

Great suggestion.

Can we improve on my tag line: "Showdown in Siam"?

I'm sure we can come up with something sexier. Let me go and ask my old friend, Don King.

Edited by Fabricus

3 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

From my years of moderating on TV I don't believe that actual votes can be 'moderated out' . The moderators have been up front how many illegal duplicate members were discounted.

What about the "legal duplicate members?"

And why are guys like Sherryl excluded, people who've helped plenty of people?

Is it a popularity contest of people who've got the most posts, dots, likes, or is it actually based on what a member did for others?

Just curious and no intentions of offending anybody here. 

Edited by lostinisaan

52 minutes ago, Fabricus said:

I agree with this.

In other words, I disagree that former winners should be prevented from competing.

If you continually weed out previous winners, the competition just gets meaningless.

The POTY only really works when forum heavyweights like Transam, JingThing, Blether, David and Nancy line up and put on the gloves.

I for one would love to see Transam give Blether a blinding left hook. I'm sure Blether would respond with a well-timed uppercut, but might JingThing step in with an exquisite suckerpunch? 

I was also wondering why Jing wasn't even on the list. 

18 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

but...what about me?...just because I've had to work in saudi, not been able to drink and not been amusing like before now I'm being excluded...oh, boo hoo...life is not fair...

Respectfully, you may be too old for future contests.

I think next year - and for years thereafter -- the POTY finals should be held in a colosseum.

What we have here, in essence, is a showdown between Thaivis'a finest gladiators.

The ultimate bout would be between Blether and Transam.

Blether would be oiled and muscular, and the Emperor's favorite; Transam would be nimble, lithe and fast.

Predicting the outcome of such a contest is far from easy. If you've been in the army you'll know what I mean.

16 minutes ago, lostinisaan said:

<snip>

Is it a popularity contest of people who've got the most posts, dots, likes, or is it actually based on what a member did for others?

Good observation.  I have carefully reviewed the guidelines .... and there are none.

I guess it's just a popularity content ... as in the member with the most friends to vote for them. 

Someone coined it already ... old boys club ..

7 hours ago, JAS21 said:

Whilst you couldn't change the rules part way through you could have banned the very new members from both voting and commenting .... how could they have a valid opinion.

For next year have a rethink but don't publish the new 'rules'  until voting is open. That way the 'others' will not be able to plan ahead ...

There may be technical reasons why we can't stop people from signing up and voting.    That will be looked at to see if it is possible.  

We reviewed the new members signing up to determine if they were duplicate accounts or returned banned members.   If they were, then they were banned again.  

38 minutes ago, lostinisaan said:

And why are guys like Sherryl excluded, people who've helped plenty of people?

I missed this earlier.

The POTY contest is not -- and never was -- an attempt to determine Thaivisa's best member. 

If it were, Sheryl and/or UbonJoe would win every year.

3 hours ago, NancyL said:

No, the POTY award hasn't been JT.  In fact, it's been rather "diverse", what with you winning in 2014, me in 2015 and now a wealthy elitist Klingon in 2016.  If anything, it's remarkable that Trans -- an older, bald white guy, living in  Isaan with his younger, much prettier Thai wife (i.e. the alleged "typical" TV forum member) hasn't won the POTY award in his several attempts.  

Perhaps it's just the older white guys living in isolation in Isaan who have time on their hands and post more often, but others "lurk" here reading their posts for entertainment and come out at POTY time to reward others who provide some balance.

Paralleling the US vote?

At least Trans didn't blow up "local" forums trolling for votes.....

He was able to run - by & large on his general "likeability" - unlike the past years recipient that pleaded for votes utilizing/pummeling their "locals" into uneasy submission.....

2 hours ago, Fabricus said:

well...you may be right...all the folks you mention are probably younger than me...

and then a dejected tutsi locks the accordion security grate on his shophouse, pours a vodka and settles down with Atlantic City (1980) with Burt Lancaster and Susan Sarandon...another tale of a has been dinosaur...but who triumphs at the end...

this entire POTY thread reminds me of the great groucho marx.....wouldn't want to be a member of any club that would have me as a member.  Am also guessing that Jingtong guy might really be Naam doppelganger as he Don king style promoted him so much

1 hour ago, tazly said:

this entire POTY thread reminds me of the great groucho marx.....wouldn't want to be a member of any club that would have me as a member.  Am also guessing that Jingtong guy might really be Naam doppelganger as he Don king style promoted him so much

53032278.jpg

7 hours ago, NancyL said:

Thank you, and let's not leave out JT, the 2014 winner who has helped many with his Pattaya restaurant reviews, many thoughtful threads in the "Home Country" forum and unrelenting war with Pattaya's baht bus drivers (or so I've heard).  It's every bit as important and just as productive as what I've done with CM Immigration.

Edit:  and I suspect the baht bus drivers can be pretty intimidating, too.

A different league entirely and that was my point, the average voting poster now wants a POTY with substance, not just mouth.

7 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

Paralleling the US vote?

At least Trans didn't blow up "local" forums trolling for votes.....

He was able to run - by & large on his general "likeability" - unlike the past years recipient that pleaded for votes utilizing/pummeling their "locals" into uneasy submission.....

Yes it's a shame that the selection of Naam as winner has been tarnished by the blatant lobbying by one poster over on the Pattaya branch. This is in no way criticism of Naam who provides excellent advice here.

10 hours ago, Fabricus said:

I agree with this.

In other words, I disagree that former winners should be prevented from competing.

If you continually weed out previous winners, the competition just gets meaningless.

The POTY only really works when forum heavyweights like Transam, JingThing, Blether, David and Nancy line up and put on the gloves.

I for one would love to see Transam give Blether a blinding left hook. I'm sure Blether would respond with a well-timed uppercut, but might JingThing step in with an exquisite suckerpunch? 

Who is David? The one with twins?

12 hours ago, Fabricus said:

I agree with this.

It's an election, not a boxing match.

11 hours ago, Fabricus said:

I think next year - and for years thereafter -- the POTY finals should be held in a colosseum.

What we have here, in essence, is a showdown between Thaivis'a finest gladiators.

The ultimate bout would be between Blether and Transam.

Blether would be oiled and muscular, and the Emperor's favorite; Transam would be nimble, lithe and fast.

Predicting the outcome of such a contest is far from easy. If you've been in the army you'll know what I mean.

I could never in a zillion years compete with a compulsive liar who denies he lied. I have a list here of his lies that TVF members have read or have heard from the guy, unfortunately denies it and NOBODY backs me up.

So it would be pointless...Mind you I feel sorry for the bloke he wrote a book about  that he fell out with just to piss him off, he now denies it but 3 forum members heard it, plus my picture is on the front of that book, screen shot saved, no not about me.

With LOS new computer laws I really hope TVF pin points those who infiltrated a commercial enterprise business to try and scuttle one of their "pieces" which cost them dear and the possible loss of face of it's customers... Fingers crossed here..

I forgot, if anyone meets up with my stalker and he starts slagging TVF members off, think three on the list, one of them will probably be me, so just to put you one step ahead, I am the Isaan refugee without a pot to piss in, actually that is true, BUT, I live in a beautiful two story house on the edge of a lake, I have an even more beautiful wife and live a very happy life where things are really coming together for our lad after a lot of hard work ....So there you have it... b0220.gif

14 minutes ago, transam said:

I could never in a zillion years compete with a compulsive liar who denies he lied. I have a list here of his lies that TVF members have read or have heard from the guy, unfortunately denies it and NOBODY backs me up.

So it would be pointless...Mind you I feel sorry for the bloke he wrote a book about  that he fell out with just to piss him off, he now denies it but 3 forum members heard it, plus my picture is on the front of that book, screen shot saved, no not about me.

With LOS new computer laws I really hope TVF pin points those who infiltrated a commercial enterprise business to try and scuttle one of their "pieces" which cost them dear and the possible loss of face of it's customers... Fingers crossed here..

It would seem that I am way, way, way out of the loop and for that I am grateful.

2 minutes ago, transam said:

I forgot, if anyone meets up with my stalker and he starts slagging TVF members off, think three on the list, one of them will probably be me, so just to put you one step ahead, I am the Isaan refugee without a pot to piss in, actually that is true, BUT, I live in a beautiful two story house on the edge of a lake, I have an even more beautiful wife and live a very happy life where things are really coming together for our lad after a lot of hard work ....So there you have it... b0220.gif

Well, that's what life's all about innit? <deleted>'em.

2 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

Well, that's what life's all about innit? <deleted>'em.

Absolutely, when my UK life fell apart I really thought I was stuffed, how wrong was I, I do cry now and then that my beloved Transam ain't here though...:sad:

2 hours ago, sipi said:

Who is David? The one with twins?

Yep, David was an Australian with two fantastic sons. He was a real ThaiVisa success story.

I always had the feeling he came here because he was shy with women.  And then he met his wife (he referred to her as Miss Farm Girl) and started a family.

Good luck to him.