Mori poll: Thailand ranks 7th in world "ignorant index" but US is number 5!

webfact

Mori poll: Thailand ranks 7th in world "ignorant index" but US is number 5!

p2.jpg

Picture: Sanook

BANGKOK: -- A recently completed poll from the respected MORI organization in London has ranked Thais in seventh place regarding ignorance of their own country.

But they still beat out the US that was in 5th.

However the UK was shown to have some of the most well informed people.

It was part of what the well known pollsters called their "Ignorant Index 2016". The poll asked 16-24 year olds a variety of questions to test their knowledge of their own country.

This age group represents the most connected sample of people with their computers and smart phones, said the company.

They suggested this group may have a lot of knowledge - but in many countries it proved otherwise, reports Sanook.

Respondents were asked questions about population, public services, house buying and the number of Muslims among other things.

Leading the way in ignorance were India in number one spot. Here are the others in the top ten:

2. China

3. Taiwan

4. South Africa

5. USA

6. Brazil

7. Thailand

8. Singapore

9. Turkey

10. Indonesia

And here are the countries that displayed the deepest knowledge about their homelands:

1. The Netherlands

2. UK

3. South Korea

4. Czech Republic

5. Malaysia

6. Australia

7. Germany

8. Italy

9. Norway

10. Sweden

Bobby Duffy of MORI said that the poll revealed many misconceptions especially about the presence of minorities such as Muslims in certain countries. Also the poll revealed that people seem to be much happier than is generally perceived.

The sample size was 27,000 people across 40 countries, reported sanook.com.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-12-29

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

The US went from 24th to 5th in a year?  Really? LOL 

Houston, we have a problem. LOL

Good catch. But.... Apollo has landed.

In 2014 the US was the second most ignorant country of those studied, wow.

perils-of-perception-global-28-638.jpg?cb=1414985937

They are interviewing young liberals!

The poll asked 16-24 year olds a variety of questions to test their knowledge of their own country

2014 poll in full including the questions.

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive/3466/Perceptions-are-not-reality-10-things-the-world-gets-wrong.aspx

2015 poll in full including the questions.

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive/3664/Perils-of-Perception-2015.aspx

Edited by rabas

Some of these questions are not easy.  Not sure I'd do so good either.  Ask a surfer in California how many people are fat and he'd probably reply "not many".  Californians tend to be fit and in shape people.  Go to the midwest, and the answer would be totally different.

strange poll, strange results, strange (and potentially misleading) title.

7 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Some of these questions are not easy.  Not sure I'd do so good either.  Ask a surfer in California how many people are fat and he'd probably reply "not many".  Californians tend to be fit and in shape people.  Go to the midwest, and the answer would be totally different.

strange poll, strange results, strange (and potentially misleading) title.

I don't think the results are strange. As an American i think you maybe lack awareness of how other nations perceive Americans, for non Americans, i don't think many would be surprised with the result.

11 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

I don't think the results are strange. As an American i think you maybe lack awareness of how other nations perceive Americans, for non Americans, i don't think many would be surprised with the result.

I'm quite aware.  Just saying this is a strange poll when year to year there are such variances.  Just doesn't make sense.  Something's dodgy.

The US ranked at the bottom last year. 

in thailand it was like this:

1. we were never colonised

2. we never collaborated with the japs

3. we won from france (anu sawari!!!)

4. we invented the tuktuk!

;-)

joke aside, i always said the thai are the americans of SEA!

39 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

I'm quite aware.  Just saying this is a strange poll when year to year there are such variances.  Just doesn't make sense.  Something's dodgy.

The US ranked at the bottom last year. 

Unless some "thing" or things has/have occurred/appeared in the meantime, about which large numbers of American people are ignorant or misinformed?

Have some States disappeared (all those rallies/votes never happened, covered up by a NSA/media conspiracy)?

Did politicians start telling the truth?

Edited by Enoon

21 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Unless some "thing" or things has/have occurred/appeared in the meantime, about which large numbers of American people are ignorant or misinformed?

Have some States disappeared (all those rallies/votes never happened, covered up by a up by NSA/media conspiracy)?

Did politicians start telling the truth?

Did politicians start telling the truth?  Heck no!  We've got Trump now! LOL

1 hour ago, Brer Fox said:

I am shocked! I must be ignorant as I have always believed the people of the USA to be remarkably erudite. Most of those who I meet are always telling me they are anyway.

Indeed.  I removed the Google short cut from my computer, because I no longer need it since an American moved in next door.

2 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Houston, we have a problem. LOL

Well here's a bit of a twist. Some years ago I attended a large 7 day seminar in China (conducted in English).

A few of the attendees from the USA were 3 days late arriving. Some never arrived. 

Why? They thought all US citizens were exempt from needing a passport to enter any country in the world.

They bought tickets on-line, they arrived at check-in in the US and got a rude shock when boarding was refused.

Some had passports and were able to quickly get a visa for entry to China. Some didn't even have a passport so the seminar finished before they could all documentation completed. 

Edited by scorecard

1 hour ago, Mook23 said:

in thailand it was like this:

1. we were never colonised

2. we never collaborated with the japs

3. we won from france (anu sawari!!!)

4. we invented the tuktuk!

;-)

joke aside, i always said the thai are the americans of SEA!

Are these statements really not true then? I know they collaborated with the japs but by whom where they colonised? Won from France?

As an American I know how blissfully ignorant many Americns are  with knowledge of their own country and it's own real history and   palce in the world.

I have to get used to that abd the silly questions I am asked by Americans when they hear I live in Thailand.

Quwstions like , "How much snow did you have in Thailand at Christmas this year?" and " Do they all speak Chinese there in Thailand?"

And questions like that gome from University graduates.

As an educated American , that kind of ignotance is dpressing to me.

That is one of the reasons I can not concieve of going back to live in the U.S. permanently.

30 minutes ago, IMA_FARANG said:

As an American I know how blissfully ignorant many Americns are  with knowledge of their own country and it's own real history and   palce in the world.

I have to get used to that abd the silly questions I am asked by Americans when they hear I live in Thailand.

Quwstions like , "How much snow did you have in Thailand at Christmas this year?" and " Do they all speak Chinese there in Thailand?"

And questions like that gome from University graduates.

As an educated American , that kind of ignotance is dpressing to me.

That is one of the reasons I can not concieve of going back to live in the U.S. permanently.

I encountered the same sort of ignorance from a New Zealander who demanded to know how Thais traditionally celebrate Christmas. She simply refused to believe that Buddhists don't observe Christian festivals (except as a commercial event)

Edited by LoongJohn
repetition

1 hour ago, ballpoint said:

Indeed.  I removed the Google short cut from my computer, because I no longer need it since an American moved in next door.

You needed a short cut for Google?  :cheesy:

Which America? The one next to Spain? How they have companies like google apple and all those goodie movies? Someone there not too dummie!!!!

I remember 1812 like it was tomorrow. How did those dummies win that war?

If ignoraniant why currency so good and hospitals goodie and schools goodie at the top

I want to study about 1864 in China and America but I just gottie new iPhone 11

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

3 hours ago, rabas said:

Good catch. But.... Apollo has landed.

In 2014 the US was the second most ignorant country of those studied, wow.

perils-of-perception-global-28-638.jpg?cb=1414985937

So Italy went from 1st place in 2014 to number 33 in 2016? I guess they need a bigger sample size or ask the same questions every year.

3 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

They may have posed the questions to US Presidential candidates in the latest poll. In statistics it's called being skewed by the Sarah Palin vacuum effect first identified by pollsters in 2008, although it may have to be renamed after the 2016 elections. 

In the UK they cleverly avoided polling any of the royals thus giving the results a boost.