Mori poll: Thailand ranks 7th in world "ignorant index" but US is number 5!

webfact

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" The poll asked 16-24 year olds a variety of questions to test their knowledge of their own country. "

And ignoring this feature,  it seems that posters here accept this rather narrow sample as representative of entire population. Who's ignorant? Anyone with the slightest bit of knowledge regarding polling techniques would know this only shows young people can be quite ignorant, perhaps some commentary on education (or lack thereof).

And there is the Euro view about Americans never having traveled abroad, which is probably true. Given the size of the USA, my traveling from Portland Oregon to Los Angeles is similar to Paris to Budapest. Like PJ O'Rourke said, some European countries aren't big enough to swing a cat in, our shopping malls have bigger parking lots than some entire countries (joking of course).

The types of questions asked are hardly on important subjects: percentage of fatties, percentage of internet access (only matters if want it and don't have it), religious views (I would guess many atheists still don't want to come out of the closet, similar to those poor poll predictions regarding Trump).

Might be more useful to ask how governments work (corruption probably #1 choice), how economy works, things that somewhat matter. Being a British based poll, I am surprised there were no questions about cricket or Manchester United head coaches.

The USA ranks fifth in the worl'd 'ignorant index'. Doesn't surprise me at all, ignorance and arrogance still go hand in hand in the USA, just look at the doofus they elected for president. That in itself doesn't have to be a bad thing, but it's such a pity that the Americans are not the only ones who are going to suffer from this, as the USA has a tendency to meddle in affairs around the whole world and almost always manage to <deleted> it up royally.

11 minutes ago, tcris52 said:

Not at all surprised. The US elected Donald Trump. I'm a little surprised at the UK being rated so high after the Brexit vote.

As we have proved many time before[check our history]...we have ALWAYS been proved right...how can in an election then hilary got MORE votes than Trump..but the dummy won....think abt it

1 minute ago, superdome said:

you must be a yank...dont like being told anything...just like your new president...who i might add is the laughing stock of the world...get a life

Really don't like arrogant, ignorant fools that generalize all people into one group.

I totally dislike Trump and didn't vote  for him.

He received received less than 50% of the vote and won based on the absurd electoral college. He would have lost had someone other Clinton been running against him. It was a choice of who do you hate less.

3 minutes ago, aguy30 said:

Really don't like arrogant, ignorant fools that generalize all people into one group.

I totally dislike Trump and didn't vote  for him.

He received received less than 50% of the vote and won based on the absurd electoral college. He would have lost had someone other Clinton been running against him. It was a choice of who do you hate less.

Be careful humpty dumpty...u might fall off the fence 

4 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Some of these questions are not easy.  Not sure I'd do so good either.  Ask a surfer in California how many people are fat and he'd probably reply "not many".  Californians tend to be fit and in shape people.  Go to the midwest, and the answer would be totally different.

strange poll, strange results, strange (and potentially misleading) title.

Maybe you could have said ridiculous title instead of misleading , but misleading too :smile: 

8 minutes ago, superdome said:

you must be a yank...dont like being told anything...just like your new president...who i might add is the laughing stock of the world...get a life

Oh my, you seem like the kind of Londoner who calls New York expensive.....A Brit complaining about those who "dont like to be told anything"....go figure.

I am American, and my view that ignorance did exist top to bottom was when George Bush the 2nd said "They hate us because of our freedoms" after Sept 11. No one called him on that BS that I can recall. Heck, should have hit Holland, what with legal pot and legal prostitution.....

31 minutes ago, superdome said:

Having travelled all over the states...most yanks are as thick as......most cannot tell you anything abt there homeland...90% never travel outside the state they were born in ...as for world travel...98% dont even have a passport,most think coz they are americans..they dont need one[i am not joking either]

So the poll dont surprise me at all.

Just think who they have voted for president....says it all

33 out of 50 states are LARGER than England. All your facts are BS. Come visit a small state like Massachusetts or Connecticut and see what "type" of people you meet.  I love how Brits think people from the South of England and are soooo different than from the North of England. What is it a 2 or 3 hour drive??  Anyways, this is all in fun, at least for me it is.  

43 minutes ago, superdome said:

Having travelled all over the states...most yanks are as thick as......most cannot tell you anything abt there homeland...90% never travel outside the state they were born in ...as for world travel...98% dont even have a passport,most think coz they are americans..they dont need one[i am not joking either]

So the poll dont surprise me at all.

Just think who they have voted for president....says it all

They probably couldn't understand you.  Next time, try to finish your sentences.  

Dot, dot, dot, dot, doesn't say it all.    :post-4641-1156694083:

1 minute ago, alex8912 said:

33 out of 50 states are LARGER than England. All your facts are BS. Come visit a small state like Massachusetts or Connecticut and see what "type" of people you meet.  I love how Brits think people from the South of England and are soooo different than from the North of England. What is it a 2 or 3 hour drive??  Anyways, this is all in fun, at least for me it is.  

Am glad you think its fun[seriously i mean it]...on a point you made about the north south divide in UK...its the northern folk who dont like us from the south...i think its mainly as the government is in the south...as a Londoner...i DONT think the north get a fair crack of the whip 

19 minutes ago, Grusa said:

I recently overheard an American speaking to an Australian.

"Gee honey!" she said, "What's it like to live on an island?"

?

Keep listening.  That's the best way to learn.

Everyone agrees that everything smaller than Australia is an island. Australians themselves are divided, and often claim that Australia is both the world's largest island and the world's smallest continent.

http://www.worldislandinfo.com/CONTISLAND.html

6 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

I would think the size of a country had a huge impact, as well as how many are not natives.  The US has a very large immigrant population.  And is a very large country.  One end to the other is very diverse. 

US-Europe-size-comparison.jpg

And yet Singapore, which is a tiny country, and a very new country, and is supposedly well educated, did terribly also. 

Also, the USA going from 24th to 5th in one year makes the whole thing very suspect. Not because the USA did poorly ... that's not my point ... but because of such a huge change in only one year. 

Edited by HerbalEd

5 hours ago, smutcakes said:

No great surprise to see the US where they are. A cursory glance at the US posters on TVF World News section sends alarming signals on the general level of mental aptitude of US citizens, and these are presumably part of the tiny % who have actually managed to negotiate leaving the country. Does not surprise that they show a similar level of ignorance within their own country.

Amazing isn't it; so many ignorant citizens, yet they have a greater economy, have higher monthly salaries, have more disposable income, have more material things, and prefer to live where they are than do the citizens of most other countries-.  I guess it's good to be ignorant.

6 hours ago, smutcakes said:

No great surprise to see the US where they are. A cursory glance at the US posters on TVF World News section sends alarming signals on the general level of mental aptitude of US citizens, and these are presumably part of the tiny % who have actually managed to negotiate leaving the country. Does not surprise that they show a similar level of ignorance within their own country.

How are you able to determine which posters are American?? Rarely some do identify themselves as being American, but the vast majority of posters I see don't indicate their nationality.