Buying car, bkk or ubon

davoz45

Hi, wife and I are due for our annual few weeks in Thailand. This trip we plan to buy 2010 Toyota Fortuna or similar. We have rented in the past but now it's time to buy.

Would it be better to buy in Bangkok or Ubon?

We want to buy for long term use, father in law will use to go to town. We don't want a pickup , we don't want offers to cart rice and stuff all over the country.

I'd like to spend a bit of time looking on line but I'm not sure that's it's helpful.

Can anybody recommend anything?

TIA

Wife's family live between sisaket and Ubon

Ordered my Fortuner Mk I in the largest Ubon Toyota dealer (road out to Amnat = Chayangkhun Rd; a couple of clicks north of the Ring Road) 7 years ago. Huge place and likely to have stock if it's a regular colour and model. I wanted a TRD Sportivo and nowhere carried stock at the time.

I was quoted a one month wait and in the 3rd week they extended that by a month. Something about the way they said it made my wife think that they had allowed someone to leapfrog into my place. So went to BKK (Toyota dealer on the south side of Bangna roughly in the area of Bangna Central (but on the other side of 12 lanes) who quoted a couple of weeks and delivered to promise. Pretty much same price wherever I tried.

Only one story - probably worth trying Ubon nonetheless. Think I read somewhere that it was the largest Toyota dealer in Asia (maybe outside Japan and maybe only when it opened).

Fortuners are a good choice IMO - mine has just turned 200,000km and has cost me very little on servicing and repairs, though in common with most large heavy diesels the fuel economy is not spectacular - I get 11.1km per litre, but I do drive it reasonably (but not outrageously) fast!

On 1.1.2017 at 9:57 PM, davoz45 said:

I think we may put it fathers name. Does it matter much?

It might. If the car is in your name you need a Non Imigrant Visa, a certification of residence in Thailand and you have to pay cash. Your wife may not have the car in her name because she doesn't live in Thailand anymore. And if you want the car to be in your father in laws name make sure the insurance covers both you and your father in law.

It might. If the car is in your name you need a Non Imigrant Visa, a certification of residence in Thailand and you have to pay cash. Your wife may not have the car in her name because she doesn't live in Thailand anymore. And if you want the car to be in your father in laws name make sure the insurance covers both you and your father in law.

I tried to get a certificate of residence from chang wattana.

But was told to go to embassy.

Still confused about this

14 minutes ago, Apiwan2 said:

I tried to get a certificate of residence from chang wattana.

But was told to go to embassy.

Still confused about this

Chaeng Wattana will not issue one unless your are doing 90 day reports to them.

If not your only choice if living in Bangkok is to get one from your embassy.

Or maybe not. You have 4 choices.

1. Your embassy.

2. Immigration office. Your local or main office in Bangkok. You do NOT need to have a 1-year visa. What ever length of your Non Immigrant Visa will do.

3. Your local police station

4. Yellow book.

If you use 2 and 4 you need a Non Immigrant Visa. For 1 and 3 you don't need. BUT to buy a car in your own name you MUST have a Non Immigrant Visa. It's a requirement from DLT. I know that some DLT offices SOMETIMES do not require a Non Immigrant Visa, but this is what the law says. 

Edited by Norlund

On 1/3/2017 at 5:51 AM, Norlund said:

Absolute crap, if you are paying in full in cash, you can have a visa exempt entry. You do not need a visa to buy a vehicle in your name, how many people buy them when they are on extensions of stay? You do not "have to pay cash", again, many foreigners put down a large deposit and then finance the balance.

Please don't post myths.

11 hours ago, Norlund said:

Or maybe not. You have 4 choices.

1. Your embassy.

2. Immigration office. Your local or main office in Bangkok. You do NOT need to have a 1-year visa. What ever length of your Non Immigrant Visa will do.

3. Your local police station

4. Yellow book.

If you use 2 and 4 you need a Non Immigrant Visa. For 1 and 3 you don't need. BUT to buy a car in your own name you MUST have a Non Immigrant Visa. It's a requirement from DLT. I know that some DLT offices SOMETIMES do not require a Non Immigrant Visa, but this is what the law says. 

Can you provide a link to this "law" ?

A post containing a link to Bangkok Post as well as containing content from Bangkok Post has been removed:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

Absolute crap, if you are paying in full in cash, you can have a visa exempt entry. You do not need a visa to buy a vehicle in your name, how many people buy them when they are on extensions of stay? You do not "have to pay cash", again, many foreigners put down a large deposit and then finance the balance.

Please don't post myths.

With or without a work permit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think we may put it fathers name. Does it matter much?

Without suggesting your 'father' is dishonest, I would suggest you should keep hold of the registration book at all times and issue him with a copy.

No requirement for a work permit to purchase a vehicle.

That's great, so can you tell me how many foreigners(tourists) can get Finance in their name, without either PR or a work permit and what is put in place to stop them 'doing a runner' and defaulting on the loan?
I'm sure your detailed information will be a help to many here.

5 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

That's great, so can you tell me how many foreigners(tourists) can get Finance in their name, without either PR or a work permit and what is put in place to stop them 'doing a runner' and defaulting on the loan?

I think musmurray is talking about a cash purchase. No PR or work permit is required for that. 

I have read through this thread and maybe the easiest way is to register the car in the OP's wife's name. Most Thai ladies that I know that live overseas, still maintain their Thai house registration and have an ID card. But maybe she has not and hence the present dilemma. 

On 03/01/2017 at 1:19 PM, Norlund said:

to buy a car in your own name you MUST have a Non Immigrant Visa. It's a requirement from DLT.

I have bought a used car and used motorbike (cash purchases) in my name on a tourist visa, all I needed was a certificate of residents from immigration.

I think musmurray is talking about a cash purchase. No PR or work permit is required for that. 

I have read through this thread and maybe the easiest way is to register the car in the OP's wife's name. Most Thai ladies that I know that live overseas, still maintain their Thai house registration and have an ID card. But maybe she has not and hence the present dilemma. 

Read his post #12, it clearly mentions buying on finance (with a large deposit)

1 hour ago, jay1980 said:

I have bought a used car and used motorbike (cash purchases) in my name on a tourist visa, all I needed was a certificate of residents from immigration.

This I believe is a common "problem" for many westerners living in Thailand. They are so used to officials and public servants following the letter of the law in their own home contries so they believe, wrongly, it's the same in Thailand. As I said in an earlier post the DLT SOMETIMES accepts a tourist visa or maybe no visa at all. But the law requires a Non Immigrant Visa. And that I think we should point out in this thread.

41 minutes ago, Norlund said:

This I believe is a common "problem" for many westerners living in Thailand. They are so used to officials and public servants following the letter of the law in their own home contries so they believe, wrongly, it's the same in Thailand. As I said in an earlier post the DLT SOMETIMES accepts a tourist visa or maybe no visa at all. But the law requires a Non Immigrant Visa. And that I think we should point out in this thread.

I have many friends who have registered vehicles to themselves on tourst visa's, when I went to immigration I even ticked the box on the form as requiring the certificate of residence to buy a car/motorbike so it appears to me it would appear it is totally legal :)

43 minutes ago, jay1980 said:

I have many friends who have registered vehicles to themselves on tourst visa's, when I went to immigration I even ticked the box on the form as requiring the certificate of residence to buy a car/motorbike so it appears to me it would appear it is totally legal :)

After some more years in Thailand I'm sure you are getting the hang of it. This is another site with some usefull information.

https://www.angloinfo.com/how-to/thailand/transport/vehicle-ownership/buying-selling-cars

Those who are not Thai citizens need to produce the following paperwork for the DLT with copies:

• Current passport
  • Non-immigrant visa
  • Work Permit or Certificate or Letter of Residence issued by Thai Immigration or the appropriate embassy
Edited by Norlund

On 1/3/2017 at 7:42 PM, muzmurray said:

Please don't post myths.

Foreigners getting credit? That's a new one. I have a Honda and Toyota in my name using my yellow book and cash, was told at both dealers that credit for foreigners was not possible .... have things changed?

In answer to the OP, Ubon is as good a place as any. The Toyota dealership in Warin near the Charoen Sri Market is very good. (Just make sure you mark the tires when rotating the wheels!!!!!)

8 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

the finance company holds the blue book, so if you do a runner, they sell the vehicle

Ive recently bought and sold a car on a tourist visa (cash)

5 minutes ago, jonw8uk said:

the finance company holds the blue book, so if you do a runner, they sell the vehicle

Ive recently bought and sold a car on a tourist visa (cash)

The finance company can hold the blue book, but that doesn't stop someone from sellig the car and then do a "runner".  

8 minutes ago, Norlund said:

The finance company can hold the blue book, but that doesn't stop someone from sellig the car and then do a "runner".  

if they found a mug that would buy it without looking into the registration,  then yes.

But they still hold the book, and the new buyer loses his car

Edited by jonw8uk

4 hours ago, Norlund said:

After some more years in Thailand I'm sure you are getting the hang of it. This is another site with some usefull information.

https://www.angloinfo.com/how-to/thailand/transport/vehicle-ownership/buying-selling-cars

Those who are not Thai citizens need to produce the following paperwork for the DLT with copies:

• Current passport
  • Non-immigrant visa
  • Work Permit or Certificate or Letter of Residence issued by Thai Immigration or the appropriate embassy

Thanks for the link, which is not even hosted in Thailand but in the UK

https://whois.icann.org/en/lookup?name=www.angloinfo.com

Showing results for: ANGLOINFO.COM

Original Query: www.angloinfo.com

Contact Information

Registrant Contact

Name: A Salter

Organization: AngloINFO Limited

Mailing Address: The Manor House Howbery Park, Wallingford Oxon OX10 8BA GB

Phone: +44.1491836394

Ext:

Fax: +44.1491818369

Fax Ext:

Email:[email protected]

Admin Contact

Name: Henry Ayres

Ext:

Fax Ext:

Email:[email protected]

Tech Contact

Name: Henry Ayres

Ext:

Fax Ext:

Email:domains@a ngloinfo.com

After some more years using the internet you may get the hang of realising that just because you read something online it is not necessarily true.

I won't bother replying anymore, I sure you think I just imagined the fact my car and my motorbike are both in my name fully legally using documents obtained legally from immirgation and submitted to The department of Land Transportation for that purpose while I did not have a non-immigrant visa and my friends and all the other posters on Thaivisa who did the same imagined it too.

Have a nice evening

สบายสบายครับ  :smile: