Tour bus driver fed up with being overworked dumps passengers by the road

webfact

12 hours ago, DM07 said:

Makin' a runner without anyone being hurt or killed!
This guy is my hero...somehow...

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I was thinking a similar thing , better this way than to have a dreadful accident !!! every body is angry but alive !!!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At first I thought the bus driver was in the wrong for abandoning his passengers like that, but after reading these posts, I realize he was in the right.  Far better to inconvenience the passengers than drive them off the road and into a ravine.  That's happened often enough here.

45 minutes ago, off road pat said:

Makin' a runner without anyone being hurt or killed!
This guy is my hero...somehow...

45 minutes ago, off road pat said:

I was thinking a similar thing , better this way than to have a dreadful accident !!! every body is angry but alive !!!

the problem now is that the outcome of this incident (driver fined) will make other tired drivers think twice about doing something similar (stopping if exhausted) and could now contribute to more serious accidents involving road transport, someone in the government roads department needs to review this case and carefully consider the president they are setting

If ever someone was deserving of a GoFundMe to pay off a fine, this driver certainly is. It is very easy to set off on a trip feeling OK, only to realise after an hour or two of boring driving that you are not going to make it. I love it when all the posters complain about what he should have done, completely oblivious to the fact that this is not your home country. These drivers have no rights here, and there is no union or safety agency that will take up their cause when they get fired.

11 hours ago, sanemax said:

If the driver would have kept driving and then fell asleep and crashed with injuries and possible fatalities to the passengers and the driver stopped the crash from happening, the passengers would have been grateful .

If I was on a bus and the driver was falling asleep, I would be extremely grateful for him to stop and kick me off the bus

You weren't on the bus :)  I've noticed that people are all high and mighty, until they are in the situation.  Not you of course.  others. :)

15 minutes ago, jamhar said:

You weren't on the bus :)  I've noticed that people are all high and mighty, until they are in the situation.  Not you of course.  others. :)

Its nothing to do with being "high and mighty" , if a bus driver thought that he couldnt make the destination without falling asleep , which would cause the bus to crash , I would much prfer it, even insist , on him stopping .

I think that I would have gone to the next bus station and booked a different bus

A light at the end of the tunnel?

This guy should be hailed a hero, someone who at last makes a stand on safety. Had he fallen asleep this story would be just like all the others: 5 killed and 30 injured as bus overturns after colliding with (insert object of choice).

I would rather be stranded and alive any day of the week.

17 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

I will say it again. What crime has been committed?

He and the owner were both fined 50,000THB and his drivers license was suspended.  'Sure sounds like police "business" to me.  If knowing the specific statute no. and its wording will satisfy some peculiar itch you have, learn to speak Thai and look it up yourself.  I confess I certainly don't know, could care less, and definitely DON'T get any satisfaction scratching other people's itches.   But we both know your real point had to do with this somehow, for some strange reason, beyond any sane person's understanding, NOT being police business.  Which it most obviously is/was.

The article I read said the driver took the empty bus back to Bangkok, and the passengers were provided with another bus and driver.

What I did learn, much to my surprise, was that there is a vehicle inspection for roadworthiness to get the insurance certificate every year.

I wonder if they ever look at the brakes?

Or maybe they should start...

On 12/30/2016 at 6:58 AM, FritsSikkink said:

There is the labour law which says you can only work that many hours per day / week

Laws in Lack of Sanctions (LOS) are nothing more than ???? ideas/ideals/suggestions/ way of BIB getting cash etc. LAWS???? in Thailand? Really????? lol yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa right. I guess now we'll hear that rule of law exists in LOS? 

I was in Switzerland last year where my son is a heavy vehicle driver. While accompanying him I was amazed at his fastidiousness in conforming to the law. Even a few minutes over his allowed driving time or exceeding the speed limit could land him in deep trouble. If he knows he cannot get back to base within his allowed driving time he has to park up overnight, which his employer pays for, until he has rested for the time set down. Sadly, Thailand is light years behind in managing it's public and private driving laws despite the latest technology being available to it. This in my opinion is because to do so would affect the profit margin. What do a few more lost lives matter. Happy New Year!

Reading  most  of  the   comments  I  think  that  either  the commenters  have  not been  to  Thailand

for  anything  more  than  a short  visit,  or  If you  actually  have  spent  a lot  of time  there

or  even  live  there,  you  have  become  brain  dead.  Thailand  is  not  at all like  your  home  country

NOT  even  a  little  bit.    The  driver  was  brave  to  even  drive  the  bus   back  to  Bangkok.

Why  don't  some  of  you   actually  talk  to  some  Thai  people  and  learn  what  it  is  like  to

be  a  Thai  and  work  in Thailand,  come  on!   Educate  yourself..

On 30 December 2016 at 1:14 PM, canuckamuck said:

If he would have continued on and crashed from sleep deprivation he wouldn't have lost his license. But having the sense to refuse he now has to pay a fine and find a new job.

I can't find where the report about driver being tired!