Costs of living in Thailand

jonn1

10 hours ago, kenk24 said:

Hi Jpinx - your comments from the thread... 

It is a minefield and none of them want to pay out on a claim unless they can see an endgame where you either recover completely, or pop your clogs. They dread the long, drawn-out medical conditions.

I guess all of that has been why I have decided to self insure - I don't mind high deductibles and I am not familiar with how well they pay out, but I guess I have seen enough exposes of companies that too easily refuse and then you have to fight for what you paid for and that when you are ill and least able to fight. 

And you know, I don't blame the insurance companies for being expensive for older people. Unless we get hit by a bus, most people are going to run into expensive medical at some point. I really wonder how well most expats have planned. And most of these policies have upper limits, so, if really serious or lingering illness - - what happens?? 

To your point Kenk24, the medical aspect of all this remains a huge unknown cost for many foreigners. I will pay as I go (if and when I need it). This method gives me incentives to take care of myself to remain healthy and active. I refuse to live in fear and be gripped by medical insurance. I too understand why insurance companies do not want to insure aging folks and why they do require super high deductibles. The insured will not pay into it enough for the insurance company to make money on them being they are a business. In the end if one is to get very ill, decisions have to be made. I have very explicit instructions in my Will that if I have a terminal illness that they are not to spend any money on trying to save me. Just take care of me until I bite it.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Gary A said:

Also I have posted that my cost of living is quite low and that we live a comfortable life. I should have explained that we pay no rent, vehicle payments and owe nothing to anyone. Also there are no children. It cost several million baht to get into this position.

Same as you Gary A, While my wife and I were working and living in the US we spent money up front while still gainfully employed to be in the financial freedom position where our current living expenses are basically noise. We own everything outright and have no children. Its just us. I am however still employed and working here in Thailand for a US company. I can retire anytime I want to which makes the job enjoyable. My wife is looking at a small boutique type business and like you as long as the income generated covers the operating costs and she is having fun then more power to her. I suggested investing in a few houses to rent and her comment was we do not have any children to pass this on to so why buy it. Lets go off and travel and relax. Didn't have to twist my arm to hard to agree with that line of thought.

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 2:58 AM, Don Mega said:

if you rent a modest condo and not go out on the piss every night renting girls 1800usd will be more than enough.

Can be enough, but most people don't factor in medical, or costs of maintaining ties to the USA, keeping vehicle or accident insurance.  Sure you can rent lots of cheap and arguably decent places, eat cheaper food.  But the costs add up as you move towards more comfort.  Heck one night of drinking and bar fining can easily cost $100 USD and that is on the cheap side :  bar fine:  500 baht, other fees 1500 baht, drinks 500 baht.  Not too hard to get to 3500 baht or 100 USD.  And that is for just one night of the month.  Yes there are cheaper options.  Even 200 baht per day for foot or oil massage can add up over one month.  $100 or $200 doesn't sound like much until one is retired and on a fixed income.  Once you fall behind, it is hard to catch up.

19 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

After 8 pages of posts by many different kinds of peoples situations also living in different places in Thailand the OP  must have it all sorted now.  :goof: :laugh:

Funny, back in 2003 or so I think I was lurking around this site compiling information from some of the more tenured expats. I joined in 2006 I believe and posted a few threads of my own again to compile more information. There are some outstanding posters on here that were quite forthcoming with their personal trials and tribulations and "Gotchya's". The OP should read through this and many other threads. Yeah it takes some filtering to eliminate the knuckleheads but there is good info to be had. I know it sure helped me 13 years or so ago. 

6 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Funny, back in 2003 or so I think I was lurking around this site compiling information from some of the more tenured expats. I joined in 2006 I believe and posted a few threads of my own again to compile more information. There are some outstanding posters on here that were quite forthcoming with their personal trials and tribulations and "Gotchya's". The OP should read through this and many other threads. Yeah it takes some filtering to eliminate the knuckleheads but there is good info to be had. I know it sure helped me 13 years or so ago. 

Agree to a point, haven't read through, far too longer thread IMO just 8 pages of well l have and do this going off in many tangents of people with many different financial arrangements. :smile:

OP  quoted :-

I do not want to live in BKK and like a quieter life - it would be nice to be near a beach or mountains as I like both. I would not have a lavish lifestyle - just a pleasant place to rent and enough to eat out a few times a week and a few beers at the weekend.  Unquote.

Put simply there's 1000's of places as OP describes in Thailand the only way is to merely look and travel around himself, sounds like he should do some months in the mountain areas and some months in the beach areas and make up his own mind eventually.. :thumbsup:

OP. If it hasn't been mentioned already, here's what I would do if I was in your shoes. 

Travel the country. 

Spend at least 1 month in each place that ticks the right boxes for you. 

Mountains? Chiang mai/Rai up north. Kanchanaburi area? 

Beach: Pattaya? (Not my style but might be yours), samui?, phuket? Big Koh chang? Hua hin? Thailand has a vast coast line with vastly different places to choose from. 

The big mango (BKK) - it's pretty big and has many, many places on offer so take your time and choose wisely. 

The reason I say 1 month to gauge places is that the rose tints can fade and you realise that the place you initially thought was perfect starts to become a bit boring. It's then, after you've settled down a bit that the hobbies can kick in. 

Good luck whatever you decide and enjoy your retirement! 

16 minutes ago, DDBKK said:

OP. If it hasn't been mentioned already, here's what I would do if I was in your shoes. 

Travel the country. 

Spend at least 1 month in each place that ticks the right boxes for you. 

Mountains? Chiang mai/Rai up north. Kanchanaburi area? 

Beach: Pattaya? (Not my style but might be yours), samui?, phuket? Big Koh chang? Hua hin? Thailand has a vast coast line with vastly different places to choose from. 

The big mango (BKK) - it's pretty big and has many, many places on offer so take your time and choose wisely. 

The reason I say 1 month to gauge places is that the rose tints can fade and you realise that the place you initially thought was perfect starts to become a bit boring. It's then, after you've settled down a bit that the hobbies can kick in. 

Good luck whatever you decide and enjoy your retirement! 

Again more outstanding input. I was told that years back and I did just that. Rented places all over for 3 to 6 months at a time when I could. From beaches areas to North mountains to BKK and out past Chachoengsao. Other places I just traveled too for 3-5 day visits. While not enough time to really delve into the area it was enough time to check it out.

As it turned out later when I met my now wife she lived up North and that was the area I enjoyed the most. But you have to decide whats suits you best. Keep in mind your Cost of living in each area can be significantly different. 

As said, Good Luck on whatever area you chose

2 hours ago, JLCrab said:

To those on this topic who say that, for medical expenses, they are self-insure, you aren't self-insured. You just don't have any insurance.

Yes, I am self insured.

I keep 5 million baht in my bank account for any medical emergency that I might have.

I have the option of leaving Thailand and getting a free care in Canada if I choose to do so.

I am also covered for free through my wife's work. It isn't the best insurance, but I used it quite a lot on the past year for simple medical issues and didn't pay a penny.

I am self insured.

Your 5 million baht in the bank is a reserve, not insurance. When it is gone, it is gone. No chance of ever getting more than you put in and no chance of spreading the risk among multiple parties. If you qualify for insurance in Canada that is good in Canada but not in Thailand then you have insurance for when you are in Canada but not in Thailand.

Your wife has insurance to which you seem entitled.

Edited by JLCrab

I typically overspend my budget by about 20%. So whatever you think you can live on, up it by that much ...... A single person could live on 30,000 baht a month if he has no expensive tastes and lives in a quieter area. Wife, kids, will increase costs - that's why i cannot live on that. One issue not really mentioned is if NOT married to a thai you need 65,000 baht a month income for your visa. And IF Brexit does cause the pound to fall further (and in the medium term, that seems more likely) you will struggle to quallify on income. So you may need cash in a Thai Bank account instead, or as a supplement. In the 6 years i have lived here the Visa terms have been tweaked every year, OK not so far on extensions but nearly all initial visas have changed in some way. So be prepared for this.

I love these cost of living threads but they are so funny because everyone has different amount of money and different expectations of what they want, or think that they deserve. Some people watch their money closely and others barely pay attention to how much they spend, even if they don't have much. Some people like to save. Other people spend every cent they make and also dip into savings. Some are single and spend little on companionship. Some are single and spend a lot on companionship. Some are married and don't spend much. Some are married and spend a lot (sometimes supporting extended families). Then add variables involved in where one lives in the country (Issan vs Bangkok vs Phuket). Then add in vehicles: motorbike? SUV? Bicycle? What do they like to eat? Western food? Alcohol? Activities/hobbies?

Having said all that, I still like reading about peoples' opinions about the cost of living in Thailand. Keep them coming! 

I do miss Canarysun in these recent cost of living threads. He was the extreme of how little money one could live on in Thailand. Last month I met a guy who said that he's living on 9000 baht per month. Home cooked food, clothing and shelter was about all that he had. He wasn't nearly as positive as Canarysun was. I think Canarysun said that he was living on 6000 baht per month for a while. 

Goodnight everyone. 

8 hours ago, JLCrab said:

Your 5 million baht in the bank is a reserve, not insurance. When it is gone, it is gone. No chance of ever getting more than you put in and no chance of spreading the risk among multiple parties.

i think 5mm Baht ($ 140k) prperly invested is an adequate amount for a "self-insured" person. my health insurance paid during the last 25 years a total of ~ THB 5mm (exact exchange rate not considered) for five medical "events" which are not common.

-liver surgery (amoebiasis), USA

-ruptured appendix, USA

-complicated gum surgery, Singapore

-open heart surgery (5 bypasses), Germany

-pacemaker cum defibrillator, Thailand.

our cost for health insurance during that period was ~$80,000 but for two persons.

Guys (and it literally is lol) - many thanks again - so many great comments from so many 

Health Insurance I suspect will continue to be a highly discussed topic and I now understand the importance 

For the people who suggested Spain / Portugal - I understand you view but I do want to try Asia

The moving between towns and provinces really appeals to me and is something I will try to do 

Again many thanks and I hope to see some of you soon :smile: Jonn

2 hours ago, Naam said:

i think 5mm Baht ($ 140k) prperly invested is an adequate amount for a "self-insured" person. <snip>

5 million baht may be an adequate reserve but it isn't insurance.

There may be 100 persons of which 97 can say that 5 million baht covered all their required medical expenses for 25 years. Insurance is for in case you are one of the 3 persons where it doesn't.

Edited by JLCrab

On 31/12/2016 at 6:40 PM, sanemax said:

Nope, that is per person .

If you have a partner, add 65 % to the cost

Adding 65% to 36,000/mth works out at about 60k/mth at the current exchange rate that's nearly £1,400. No idea where you get your figures from but in a city in Isaan we have a large house run two cars take on average a months holiday to the UK every other year and also to Germany on little more than that. As for the poster who used an exchange rate of 50/£ let me know where he gets that?

The big issue is health cover and it escalates dramatically with age and bearing in mind most stop by age 80 at the latest. Then what? Some years ago an expat acquaintance needed double balloon surgery but didn't have the 1 million baht for it so ................ 

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 11:28 PM, Anon999 said:

Adding 65% to 36,000/mth works out at about 60k/mth at the current exchange rate that's nearly £1,400. No idea where you get your figures from but in a city in Isaan we have a large house run two cars take on average a months holiday to the UK every other year and also to Germany on little more than that. As for the poster who used an exchange rate of 50/£ let me know where he gets that?

The big issue is health cover and it escalates dramatically with age and bearing in mind most stop by age 80 at the latest. Then what? Some years ago an expat acquaintance needed double balloon surgery but didn't have the 1 million baht for it so ................ 

That is why if I reach the 75 years I shall take my address again in my EU. country and come live only  part time Thaiand ( as it is inevitable when getting older some medical treatments needed appear ," just like an old car keeps running ,but needs more garage works ":smile:, as so I can benefit from a very reasonable travel insurance  with a 1 year cover ...and most important a repatriation included" dead or alive "if needed ..., as in my country I shall have as a pensioner almost free hospital care .....NO private insurance can compete with E.U. government insurance for the needed care , no fuzzy luxury things , but al, to keep you walking and stay alive ...., no Thai insurance cover all what can happen to you ....

Edited by david555