Big Waves Spoil Launch of Pattaya-Hua Hin Ferry

rooster59

7 hours ago, fruitman said:

I've been on a longtailboat from Krabi to Riley while i had to scoop water out of the boat nonstop cause the waves came overboard. On top of that the engine also broke of it's stand so my mate had to hold it the whole trip.

It was during a storm with waves but they were maybe 1 meter high and i have never seen real big waves in Thailand, even not after the tsunami.

So this boat is not even built to stand some waves? Fine with me, i'm not gonna use it anyway..Thai are dangerous with boats.

Why not let a farang company run qualityboats from Pattaya all the way to Singapore and stop at every harbour? With a real boat it's sure possible i think.

That's called a cruise ship and to get to shore you would have to get in to a banana boat.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, louse1953 said:

That's called a cruise ship and to get to shore you would have to get in to a banana boat.

Wrong again sir, between the Greek Islands there are many of those ships and they're much bigger than this mini ferry.

A cruiseship has private hotelrooms, we don't need that but just a good ferry sailing from BKK to Hua Hin, Samui, Phangan, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia would be nice.

Also those Greek ferries don't need banana boats, you stayed too long in Pattaya with your bananaboats and singlets i guess.

Just now, fruitman said:

Wrong again sir, between the Greek Islands there are many of those ships and they're much bigger than this mini ferry.

A cruiseship has private hotelrooms, we don't need that but just a good ferry sailing from BKK to Hua Hin, Samui, Phangan, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia would be nice.

Also those Greek ferries don't need banana boats, you stayed too long in Pattaya with your bananaboats and singlets i guess.

Nar,brain dead from reading TVF.

Just now, louse1953 said:

Nar,brain dead from reading TVF.

Superfast Ferries. Daily departures to Grecce from Italy. Patras, Corfu, Igoumenitsa, Bari, Ancona.

This is a ferry from the Greek Islands (who have a very clear turqoise sea by the way). They are great and also have restaurants onboard.

I've been islandhopping with those for 3 weeks and it was great.

Winter ferry schedules to Andros, Tinos and Mykonos

13 hours ago, Kopitiam said:

This is very typical in Thailand.  Jumping into a project without giving it a thorough SWAT analysis.  Typically it is the monsoon season this time of the year (Dec to Feb) in the Gulf of Thailand.  You can only provide this service for 9 months of a year.  To kick off this project at this time, tells you how much planning has gone into it - doomed even before you start.

Not least because the 3 month closure coincides exactly with the peak tourist season. This is bound to fail.

2 hours ago, Perdanmark said:

What are there so many negative comment,

the ferry into starting before the 12 of january, you are offeret free rund until Then , it is common sense to cancel a ferry, due to bad Weather , I am Danish , and some of our ferry connections are operate with Cat from Australia like this one, there is nothing wrong in staying in port for Security reasons.

Further more we should all be a bit more supportive , this ferry Line is a step foreward in connecting the two parts of this country, and we should appreciate it.

Very little connection to Australia with this ferry other than a few brave tourists that may decide to risk their lives on it.

Note the article mentions " Local marine official Ekkaraj Kantaro cited the sudden appearance of 4-meter high waves. "

4 metre waves would be a bit of a wild ride on a small boat with a whack of land-lubbers puking everywhere !

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

The boat can't do the job.

That is why they are damned.

If that's the case, why did the US Navy buy a heap of these vessels?     They work extremely well in the correct weather conditions, and only fools would criticise a skipper for cancelling any trip while a storm was in progress.  

1 minute ago, Kerryd said:

Note the article mentions " Local marine official Ekkaraj Kantaro cited the sudden appearance of 4-meter high waves. "

4 metre waves would be a bit of a wild ride on a small boat with a whack of land-lubbers puking everywhere !

Be funny as <deleted> to see the ferry out there in 13ft waves carving up the curls with the surfers !!

5 minutes ago, masuk said:

If that's the case, why did the US Navy buy a heap of these vessels?     They work extremely well in the correct weather conditions, and only fools would criticise a skipper for cancelling any trip while a storm was in progress.  

The boat was not capable of doing it's job. That is the reason that the service is being condemned. 

No doubt as the boat was incapable of serving it's purpose the decision was correct. However, I've travelled on ferries in extremely difficult weather conditions.

Because the proper boat/ferry/whatever was acquired, while the journeys were somewhat stomach churning, it was perfectly safe.

Edited by Bluespunk

1 hour ago, rtco said:

So where would you load of old grumpy Thai bashers be if the ferry had sailed on time and undergone a successful journey? Sh1t happens and there is no accounting for the weather even if it is monsoon season. Get a life people. I for one will use this service once it is properly up and running and I am sure many other people will as well. 

Could you imagine the uproar if it sailed and in doing so the voyage ended in grief.  Those who continually indulge in criticism should check out the ferry disasters that have occurred around the world when authorities have not erred on the side of caution. :wai: 

Sailings are cancelled the world over due to weather conditions. What this indicates is that it will be a service that can't be relied upon, so road is still a better option if you want to be sure of getting from one to the other. Or take a chance - as one poster said, there are just some times of the year that sea crossings aren't practical. Other times it should be okay.

4 minutes ago, Si Thea01 said:

Could you imagine the uproar if it sailed and in doing so the voyage ended in grief.  Those who continually indulge in criticism should check out the ferry disasters that have occurred around the world when authorities have not erred on the side of caution. :wai: 

As confidence  increases the side of caution will decrease.

Very predictable, maybe El Nino but if they had studied the weather reports they would see that these strong north easterly winds have been with us for at least the last three years, starting at about the time of Loy Krathom and persisting most days for at least three months.

Someone I know who was in the pleasure boat business ceased trading because there were so many days when he was unable to operate.

18 hours ago, brucec64 said:

This pretty much sums up the future of this service. Any guesses on how many weeks/months until final cancellation?

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Okay,

I will guess they will run a handful of trips, the last being in February.

They will then quietly suspend the service on some pretext before officially indefinitely suspending it (which means cancelling it) in April but the announcement will be buried somewhere, probably under Songkran news.

I suspect this non-running ferry is all about the graft generated by the purchase of the boat.