Thai granddad's final request - tells uncaring family to b**ger off!

webfact

Sad - but difficult to judge who is to blame.

Some young people don't care for their elderly people and leave them alone.

Some people have an antisocial character and cause to be avoided by everyone

Some were nice guys but get confused in old age by dementia and think everybody wants to do harm to them

- and act accordingly. Resulting in being left alone.

What happened here? From the report we can't know

Sad indeed. Very un thai to not look after the elderly.  Not knowing his situation with his family too bad he had to die with all that resentment in his heart.
Elderly people can get difficult.
Watched a interview with Jerry Louis who is in his 90's. Talk about a miserable old man. He would only give one word answers and was very curt.
I could only watch half of it. 

I tried to watch that interview too. Disgusting.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

7 hours ago, BSJ said:

I got my spot in the wall at the wat next to my wife's spot.  I call it a spot but it probably has a proper name in Thai.  Everyone in the family has a spot.   It was only 5000baht......which maybe why the monks said it would be OK for a godless farang to be in an urn in a Buddhist wall!

But I don't plan on taking up residence in my spot anytime soon! 

I tried to get my old lady to buy some also even though we're only in our 20/30's but she would have nothing of the sort. Not even when I pointed out that inflation will make it cheaper to buy now...

14 hours ago, trogers said:

Was his personality and habits that obnoxious that all his relatives and friends kept their distance?

No, it would probably be his lack of money. In my experience Thais only "care" if they think there is something in it for them. And even then the word "care" is some strange translation that I am not familiar with.

8 hours ago, Beats56 said:

Elderly people can get difficult.

Watched a interview with Jerry Louis who is in his 90's. Talk about a miserable old man. He would only give one word answers and was very curt.

Maybe he got smart(er) rather than difficult?

Most people are very fatuous and, as a result, ask very fatuous questions that barely merit a one-word answer at best. My answer to them would probably be simpler: <deleted> off (two words, I know).

18 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

These day's....yes

I know how you feel. The women that fancy me are always too old and ugly and the women I always fancy I`m never rich enough for them. So as they say; if you want a job done properly, do it yourself.

I can say this regarding the OP; we now have my 89 year old MiL permanently living with us. Her total assets is 40000 baht in her bank account. She has 5 children and several grandchildren and great grandchildren. We live in Chiang Mai, 3 other children live in Bangkok and 1 in America. They haven`t visited her for over 3 years, always have excuses why they can`t come here. But I guarantee if my MiL was loaded, with assets and cash worth millions, all her children would be up here every month checking that their inheritance is secure.  I can also tell you this, it was the same in England, had an aunt who was widowed, had 2 children and grandchildren and of little wealth. She died at home aged 83, her body not being discovered for 7 weeks. This now seems to be the way of the world. No money no honey can also refer to family members.

16 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

I know how you feel. The women that fancy me are always too old and ugly and the women I always fancy I`m never rich enough for them. So as they say; if you want a job done properly, do it yourself.

I can say this regarding the OP; we now have my 89 year old MiL permanently living with us. Her total assets is 40000 baht in her bank account. She has 5 children and several grandchildren and great grandchildren. We live in Chiang Mai, 3 other children live in Bangkok and 1 in America. They haven`t visited her for over 3 years, always have excuses why they can`t come here. But I guarantee if my MiL was loaded, with assets and cash worth millions, all her children would be up here every month checking that their inheritance is secure.  I can also tell you this, it was the same in England, had an aunt who was widowed, had 2 children and grandchildren and of little wealth. She died at home aged 83, her body not being discovered for 7 weeks. This now seems to be the way of the world. No money no honey can also refer to family members.

I was a bit luckier than you.

My MIL was living with us in a small house we had built for the purpose years before. She was with us for 6 or 7 years. Most of the family live in BKK while we live in rural KPP but they used to come up every Songkran, at the New Year and once or twice a year when they could.

She also didn't have much money but at least her family cared about her.

I think that it may possibly work both ways and also display a clash between rural and urban ways of life.I have heard younger more dynamic Thai people actually express some resentment at the notion that they are expected to take care of various members of the family who have done little in their lives except pursue the holy grail of top Lao Kao drinker and work avoider in their villages.

As a young Thai man said to me (in excellent English) "Here they are sitting in exactly the same chairs with exactly the same whiskey bottles as they had 10 years ago when I left.They don't respect me or my wife for all our hard work in Bangkok but just demand money from us and think that this village is the centre of the world.I hate coming back here!"

An amazingly honest outburst for a Thai.

Which,I think,neatly encapsulates the increasing conflict between a traditional rural lifestyle and a modern industrializing technological one.

Just as in the West, the primary victims of such major changes will be the elderly and the disabled.

Edited by Odysseus123
grammar.