Thai Consulates in US can not longer issue multi-entry visas

Just got my Non-Imm O-A Multi Entry Visa from the Los Angeles Consulate.  I submitted my Visa application packet(with the three notarized documents) at 0900 on a Thursday.  I came back on Friday at 1030 and I got my passport back with the Visa.  It was a very smooth process and the people at this consulate were great.  All of my concerns about obtaining this Visa were unwarranted.  

• Like 1

"I have found when I lived in the US that any official consulate anywhere would accept my application for any type of Visa."
  I've lived in Thailand for over ten years, visiting the US over Christmas to see family and renew my visa.  I occasionally encountered consulates that read too much into rules and asked for unnecessary documentations, but before I could simply switch to a different consulate.  Not anymore.  I've never encountered such a sh*tstorm of contradictory and unnecessary requirements.

Yes, at one time you could apply at any OFFICIAL Consulates or to the Embassy in DC for an O-A. I "think" the Embassy Consular office complained so they suddenly started enforcing geographical service area's

Much like the Thai Immigration cracked down on which office you could use when you are here. So you can no longer shop around for an "easy" or convenient office

The effect in the US is that each Thai Consulate makes up their own rules. DC appears to have a hands off policy as far as NY, Chicago, and LA goes, since they all have different requirements.....
sound familiar

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

On 2/6/2017 at 6:44 AM, Langsuan Man said:

Yes, at one time you could apply at any OFFICIAL Consulates or to the Embassy in DC for an O-A. I "think" the Embassy Consular office complained so they suddenly started enforcing geographical service area's

Much like the Thai Immigration cracked down on which office you could use when you are here. So you can no longer shop around for an "easy" or convenient office

The effect in the US is that each Thai Consulate makes up their own rules. DC appears to have a hands off policy as far as NY, Chicago, and LA goes, since they all have different requirements.....
sound familiar

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Just to be clear, it's not just O-A visas; multiple entry visas of any kind can only be issued by the embassy in Washington or the consulates in LA, Chicago, or New York.  These places rarely if ever reply to emails, answer the phone or return phone messages.  If you have questions about your application your choices are to go the embassy or consulate in one of these cities, mail in your best guess at what is required and hope for the best, or use a visa service.

Just to be clear, it's not just O-A visas; multiple entry visas of any kind can only be issued by the embassy in Washington or the consulates in LA, Chicago, or New York.  These places rarely if ever reply to emails, answer the phone or return phone messages.  If you have questions about your application your choices are to go the embassy or consulate in one of these cities, mail in your best guess at what is required and hope for the best, or use a visa service.

Each year for the past four years I have obtained a new non imm o-a multi entry visa via the LA Thai Consulate. I don't mail in my best guess. I read the requirements from their web site and mail in what they ask for. I have never had a problem.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

2 hours ago, heybruce said:

Just to be clear, it's not just O-A visas; multiple entry visas of any kind can only be issued by the embassy in Washington or the consulates in LA, Chicago, or New York.  These places rarely if ever reply to emails, answer the phone or return phone messages.

I sent the LA Consulate an email to their official address a couple months back asking questions about their METV requirements, and got a clear, helpful answer back by email within a couple business days.

• Like 1

Its just so damn tiring trying to figure out what is really needed . I get so confused. Whats the difference between an non immigrant O and a non immigranr O A visa. I am in pattaya on a setv and plan on converting that to an Non immigrant visa then converting that to a ME retirement visa using an affadavit of income from my american embassy in bangkok.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

31 minutes ago, bangkokbanjo said:

Its just so damn tiring trying to figure out what is really needed . I get so confused. Whats the difference between an non immigrant O and a non immigranr O A visa. I am in pattaya on a setv and plan on converting that to an Non immigrant visa then converting that to a ME retirement visa using an affadavit of income from my american embassy in bangkok.

O-A is a "visa" which gives you a one-year stamp each time you enter, and an enter-before date 1-year from the date of issuance.  You must apply for an O-A "visa" at an official (not honorary) Thai consulate in your home-country.  If you enter just before the "enter before" date of this "visa", you can get about 2 years out of it, though you will need to get re-entry permits for any in/out of Thailand during the 2nd year, because the "visa" is dead as soon as the "enter before" date has passed, so all you can do is preserve that last "permission of stay" stamp with re-entry permits. 

The Non-O based on retirement "visa" (not an OA) is a 90-Day visa only.  It may be obtained at Thai consulates close to Thailand. 

Either the Non-O or Non-OA are applicable to apply for an "extension based on retirement" (not a "visa") at your local immigration office in Thailand.  The "extension based on retirement" is 1900 Baht, which does not include a re-entry permit; if you leave without a re-entry permit, your extension is dead.  A multi-entry permit for it is 3800 Baht additional.  A single re-entry permit is 1000 Baht.

If you don't have a Non-O visa now, converting from a Tourist Visa to an "extension based on retirement" is a pain - some offices won't do it at all, and others only if use an agent.  The easiest method is to obtain a Non-O 90-day "visa" from a neighboring Thai consulate (Vientiane or Penang, for example), and then convert that to an "extension based on retirement" when you return to Thailand.

All "based on retirement" offerings - visas and extensions - from anywhere - require the applicant to be 50 Years old or older - except in the UK, I believe, where there may be additional conditions related to a state-pension.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

Each year for the past four years I have obtained a new non imm o-a multi entry visa via the LA Thai Consulate. I don't mail in my best guess. I read the requirements from their web site and mail in what they ask for. I have never had a problem.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

You met the letter of their requirements?  Including a notarized medical statement and notarized bank account statements?  Many of us don't have a doctor with a notary working in their office, and for those of us who do our banking on-line getting a piece of paper printed off the internet notarized is a problem.

I took a chance and mailed in these documents with a notarized cover letter, basically a piece of paper saying I showed the notary my ID and claimed the documents were valid.  The cover letter was meaningless and definitely did not satisfy the stated requirement, but it worked.  It would have been very reassuring if I could have communicated with someone at one of these consulates before putting my passport, money order and kluged application in the mail.

Edited by heybruce

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I sent the LA Consulate an email to their official address a couple months back asking questions about their METV requirements, and got a clear, helpful answer back by email within a couple business days.

I tried that with the New York and Chicago consulates and the Embassy.  I never received replies.

12 hours ago, JackThompson said:

If you don't have a Non-O visa now, converting from a Tourist Visa to an "extension based on retirement" is a pain - some offices won't do it at all, and others only if use an agent.  The easiest method is to obtain a Non-O 90-day "visa" from a neighboring Thai consulate (Vientiane or Penang, for example), and then convert that to an "extension based on retirement" when you return to Thailand.

That's correct. But the good news is that the Bangkok (Chaengwattana) Immigration office does do those kinds of conversions, and a lot of folks start out their Thailand visits/stays in Bangkok, so there's the opportunity there. There also are some other Immigration offices outside BKK that will do them, though apparently the majority will not.

How has your experience with the embassy in Washington been?  I was warned that they interpret rules excessively strictly--supposedly they are the only visa issuing office that insists on FBI background checks.

Bruce, since you appear to live in the Southeast, you're lucky that the Thai Embassy is your go-to place for an O-A visa. I got one this past October, and they were very easy to deal with. And *NO* notarization of any documents required.

First, forget the FBI requirement -- you got bum info. As the DC site clearly says, "... and must be issued from a state or Federal Bureau of Investigation only." I got mine from the Virginia State Police, using their downloadable application. No finger prints required, and turnaround time about 10 days. Don't know what Southeastern state you're in, but a quick Google shows that the Florida State Police has the same setup as Virginia does. Probably the others do, as well.

Medical, unless you have a regular doctor, might be the long pole, as a new doc might investigate your bunions for elephantitis. If you're on one of your trips to Thailand, have a Thai doctor fill out the medical form (valid for 3 months).

Air Force pay statement, printed from the Internet, satisfied their financial requirement.

Good luck.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2017 at 7:24 AM, JimGant said:

Bruce, since you appear to live in the Southeast, you're lucky that the Thai Embassy is your go-to place for an O-A visa. I got one this past October, and they were very easy to deal with. And *NO* notarization of any documents required.

First, forget the FBI requirement -- you got bum info. As the DC site clearly says, "... and must be issued from a state or Federal Bureau of Investigation only." I got mine from the Virginia State Police, using their downloadable application. No finger prints required, and turnaround time about 10 days. Don't know what Southeastern state you're in, but a quick Google shows that the Florida State Police has the same setup as Virginia does. Probably the others do, as well.

Medical, unless you have a regular doctor, might be the long pole, as a new doc might investigate your bunions for elephantitis. If you're on one of your trips to Thailand, have a Thai doctor fill out the medical form (valid for 3 months).

Air Force pay statement, printed from the Internet, satisfied their financial requirement.

Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestion.  After all the negative posts about the embassy I sent the package to the Chicago consulate and got the visa.

Thanks for the suggestion.  After all the negative posts about the embassy I sent the package to the Chicago consulate and got the visa.

I thought I read where you hailed from the Southeast..... I guess not, if you were able to use Chicago (?).

15 hours ago, JimGant said:

at least I can no longer find that restriction online.

Jurisdiction

Royal Thai Embassy, Royal Thai Consulate-General,
Washington, DC New York
1. Alabama 1. Maine
2. Delaware 2. Massachusetts
3. Florida 3. New Jersey
4. Georgia 4. New York
5. Louisiana 5. Pennsylvania
6. Maryland 6. Rhode Island
7. Mississippi 7. Connecticut
8. North Carolina 8. Vermont
9. South Carolina 9. New Hampshire
10. Tennessee 10. Ohio
11. Texas  
12. Virginia  
13. West Virginia  
14. Puerto Rico  
15. District of Columbia  

Royal Thai Consulate-General, Royal Thai Consulate-General,
Chicago Los Angeles
1. Arkansas 1. Alaska
2. Illinois 2. Arizona
3. Indiana 3. California
4. Iowa 4. Colorado
5. Kansas 5. Idaho
6. Kentucky 6. Montana
7. Michigan 7. New Mexico
8. Minnesota 8. Nevada
9. Missouri 9. Oregon
10. Nebraska 10. Utah
11. North Dakota 11. Washington
12. Oklahoma 12. Wyoming
13. South Dakota 13. Hawaii and U.S. Pacific
14. Wisconsin

Territories

source: http://thaiembdc.org/visas/

•  

I'm from Florida.  The Chicago Consulate isn't too particular about region.

Did you just take a chance with Chicago? Or, did you query them about "region jumping" before you submitted?

And did you also consider the NY Consulate, which doesn't require notarization?

Just a comment regarding the need for the medical certificate to be notarized (LA Consulate)

About 3 years ago I applied for the O-A at the LA Consulate and noted that the medical certificate had to be notarized, but my doc doesn't have a notary in his office. So I just found a mobile notary nearby who came to the office to notarize the document - as I recall it cost me about 15 USD extra - not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

The only strange thing is that the notary (she) came into the exam room with me, so she was there during the cursory (thankfully for her and me) exam. He then signed the certificate, she notarized it, and off we went.

Keep in mind most cities will have mobile notaries if your doc (or anyone else) doesn't have a notary in the office.

On 2/16/2017 at 8:56 PM, californiabeachboy said:

Just a comment regarding the need for the medical certificate to be notarized (LA Consulate)

About 3 years ago I applied for the O-A at the LA Consulate and noted that the medical certificate had to be notarized, but my doc doesn't have a notary in his office. So I just found a mobile notary nearby who came to the office to notarize the document - as I recall it cost me about 15 USD extra - not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

The only strange thing is that the notary (she) came into the exam room with me, so she was there during the cursory (thankfully for her and me) exam. He then signed the certificate, she notarized it, and off we went.

Keep in mind most cities will have mobile notaries if your doc (or anyone else) doesn't have a notary in the office.

What about the Notary Travel Fee? I was a notary in the past and I used to charge a travel fee around $35 USD+the actual fee $10(at the time and notaries are now charging $15.

This policy has been effect since August 2016 at least when the Thai consulate in Portland Oregon announced they could issue a  NETV  visa or any other multiple entry visa which after their announcement must now be issued through one of the Thai embassy associated consulates such as San Francisco.

This subject  has been discussed  on this forum topic many tines previously

I assumed everyone who regularly read this forum topic knew this already.

On 2/16/2017 at 10:52 PM, JimGant said:

Did you just take a chance with Chicago? Or, did you query them about "region jumping" before you submitted?

And did you also consider the NY Consulate, which doesn't require notarization?

I read somewhere online, perhaps in this topic, that Chicago would accept applications from anywhere in the US. 

The webpage of the New York consulate lead me to believe they didn't accept applications from outside their region.  I could be mistake on that, I didn't try them.

On 2/19/2017 at 2:44 PM, sqwakvfr said:

What about the Notary Travel Fee? I was a notary in the past and I used to charge a travel fee around $35 USD+the actual fee $10(at the time and notaries are now charging $15.

I do not recall the exact travel fee, but it was not close to $35US, maybe $10 or $15 extra. Her notary office was only a 5 minute drive from the doctor's office.