Telephone Bar Review And Recent Experiance

dodgy

Have been going to the Telephone Bar for eight years (im 29 and a gwm) but, after a change in its ownership, it seems to have gone downhill.

They show one price in the menu but try to charge you more after you order. It’s a total rip off and a shame on the gay community. They will not stay in business long pissing off locals. Its the second time I went to the bar recently and looked at the menu ordered a drink... then the bill comes its higher then the menu price with a silly explanation why its more. The explanation makes no logic or reason. I have to strongly suggest not visiting Telephone bar... try Cafe 4 Bangkok.. a young crown, honest pricing, friendly people and good service.

The Telephone Bar food is terrible and the staff seems more interested in each other than the customers. It's a shame because the Telephone Bar was an institution and it has certainly lost all its charm and integrity. Its full of 50 to 90 year old gay men... trolling around!

Edited by stevehaas

Well I'm not sure how to reply. I'm 46 so am I Soi 4 troll? Hmmm. Anyway I have to agree somewhat with the post. I've been going to Telephone since it opened. As international flight crew I've seen many changes over the years. Now I may only frequent it a couple of times a month but you are certainly right when you say the staff are only interested in themselves. They giggle, gossip and talk about you and are just plain rude if you are a local. (I am now based here) They really are only interested if you are visiting for a few days as you will probably tip big. You are absolutely correct when you say you get overcharged and I've now learned to check the bill with the menu. 9 out of 10 times you are overcharged. It may only be 50 baht or more but that's not the point. Even sitting at the bar trying to get their attention for another drink is sometimes difficult and when you do get their attention they serve you begrudgingly. The food..well I have no complaints. The original cook from Telephone is now @Richard's. I say go to Balcony or @Richards. I find the service and drinks more to my liking and feel very welcomed when there. Oh and the "farang" owners listen if you complain and don't just pay you "lip service" as the owner of Telephone does! I have not been to the small bar you mentioned but it looks freindly enough (view from balcony) with a nice enough crowd. That said Telephone bar suits it purpose. It's a bar for old farang looking for money boys and/or over the hill bitter rude waiters/bar staff! I'm looking for neither of those!

Interesting. I used to live down in that area so I spent a lot of time at Telephone. I was never overly fond of the place, but I had friends who were really into it, so I always went. When Balcony opened I started going there.

I moved out of that area and was back for the first time in about 4 years (at least that's what one of the people at Balcony told me--it had been 4 years--actually he asked if I got out early because of good behavior).

I was watching the waiters at Telephone while sitting there and I was very surprised because they used to be quite friendly. Even if you were sitting at the competition and caught their eye, they at least smiled etc. This bunch looked like they had been sucking on lemons most of their life.

I wasn't down there long enough to see how the crowd was for the whole evening or anything, but it confirms what I was thinking...."the place didn't look very inviting.

Too bad because it was, and is, an icon. Hope things improve there.

have always found balcony more friendly....never went into telephone..even though I used to visit the gay soi quite often at one point. balcony was good in that i could have gay friends..together with group of non gay karaoke-mania thai friends all on one crowd when needed :o

Both place sucks. The drinks are watered. The food is mediocre at best. Sitting outside the bars on the street is like being on parade at a meat market to be viewed by a steady stream of galking tourists and bi-confused creepos. Unfortunately, Telephone and Soi 4 remains gay central for GWMs and their admirers. @Richards is great but doesn't attract the crowd to pull away the unsavory characters in soi 2 or soi 4.

Top Chinese...Oh MY God! You started my morning off great! I laughed so hard reading your reply I spit my coffee out! I could not have said it better! Your absolutely right! You got direct to the point! "Meat Market" "Parade" "Bi-confused creepos". That sums it right up!

Your right about @Richards. It does not have the pull or I think the location and even size to pull away more of the crowd.

Your right about @Richards. It does not have the pull or I think the location and even size to pull away more of the crowd.

Yes and this is one of the best things about Richards. It is more like a "neighbourhood" pub. You are not bothered by money boys and gawkers. The food is good and the staff attentive and friendly. The owners make you feel very welcome.

"The original cook from Telephone is now @Richard's"

Actually several of the waiters @Richard's are also ex-Telephone, including Sak who is the manager.

It's been a while since I exposed myself to the gawkers and bi-confused creepos (and feasted my eyes on some cuties too!) down at soi 4. Where is @Richard's please?

TC: Nice to see you posting. I have to agree somewhat on both bars as both seem serve very weak drinks. But then seems like most of the bars are this way. The only place I get a good drink is DJ as seems like they appreciate my tips more there. The food at both places, well I can take it or leave it. Even here in Los Angeles, with a few exceptions, restaurants catering to gay clientele have never been known for their great food. They are places to be social. That being said I have for years been a regular at Telephone Bar. Part of that was the consistency of the staff. Used to be like returning to a place where you knew people. Seems like in the last year or so staff has changed and not as friendly. That being said it Telephone Bar lost my loyalty. I have to agree Cafe 4 is lots more fun and now my choice in Soi 2. As for Soi 2 being a meat market. Well, dah! Most of Silom/Patpong area IS a meat market is it not? As for sitting outside and being on display for the tourists, well the whole point of the outside seating is probably just to look and be looked at isn't it? That goes with the territory. Soi 2 is for most just a place to hang out until 11:30 or 12 and then move on.

TC, would like your take on the best places to go in BKK leaving out the go go bars and of course your favorite the bath houses. :o:D:D Maybe I am missing something. God knows I have not seen it all. Help me please!

• 3 weeks later...

wel nothing good to say about telephone pub, it has gone down hill for the last 2 or 3 years.... The staff is very bad compared to other places, I go thier sometiems to hangout and chat to some of the older thai guys thier, sitll a few of the old bunch I use to chat with about 5 years ago if I go on Sat. I can not find any place that I enjoy 100 percent, but Balcony ihas much better staff then Telephone....the staff at Baloncey are very goood, freinldy helpfull....I allwyas keep my bottle of Gin at Baloney and once you guy a bottle the mixer are free for as long as your bottle last, I love that part of it

never been to the other bar somone talked about on soi 4, guess I have to try it, I never walk past Balcony or telephone so did NOT know thier is a new one....I would love to find a bar that had normal working Thai, NOT ful of money boys, I am 39 and find a real converstaion much more appealing then some money boy telling me he is a student, and really his full time job is money boy......somone who can chat and exchange iedeas is much more fun......hard to find that any place in Thailand, even I I could speak thai 100 percent still thing that woudl be a challenge.

somone should tell the owner of Telephone about this post, maybe he will wake up and do something before his bar is empty

I have never thought that my drink had been watered in any bar in Bangkok. I enjoy Soi 4, I like Cafe 4 and Balcony and there is some great food in Sphinx. Telephone has declined a little but it's been busy the past few weeks with tourists and I have met a lot of locals and expats in there too.

As for @Richards I have been taken there twice by friends and it's like a gay old folks home. Every conversation I had was about how bad something was in Thailand - if you don't like it get on a plane home.

• 2 weeks later...

Telephone is a fine place to go. Never had a bad experience there and never expect to! Service tends to bog down a bit ... just like at any bar that gets busy.

@Richards has become a place I tend to go a bit more often because it is more amenable to group outings with friends. I have not run into any group of whiners there.

Frankly I am still far more partial to Thai places outside the Silom area ... but water finds its own level :o

Edited by jdinasia

• 3 weeks later...

OK that’s enough I have to reply.

I am 28 and a Sydney boy that brings his BF of around the same age 4 times a year. My destination in Bangkok is Telephone Pub end of story!

This bar while only open a short time of the day (6pm – 2am) is the place to be and great place that you can chat to local boys and find out all the gossip.

As for the food I have been many times into the kitchen and its not only clean but for this fussy vegetarian perfect to my fussy taste.

As for Sak well … that boy moved on to a less paying job then on to Richards. From my understanding Richards and Telephone Pub management have an agreement in place not allowing poaching of staff and so Sak has been begging to come back to Telephone. Frankly I don’t know what all the fuss was about as most of the boys that have moved on from Telephone either had serious issues “This is know first hand”.

But back to Telephone Pub… The staff treat you with real respect, remember my name and what I want to drink and all come to say goodbye when I fly home. I call it my 2nd home as I truly feel the team are genuine. The other thing people don’t see is the rubbish the boys put up with… and I do truly mean rubbish. Old farts coming in buying a single cheap beer for the night and giving no time every night and expecting a full time assistant to keep them occupied.

The drinks are not watered down. I have personally gone with management to purchase alcohol for the bar and so can assure you it’s in its intended form. Can I suggest in the hot weather your ice is melting or your makeup is falling into your drink making it taste different? Possibly try it without Ice and see the difference? Come on the bottles are mostly opened in front of you in plain sight and you can watch your drink get made.

There is no place in the world like Telephone Pub and I strongly suggest people look at it in a new light.

Here are some tips from me:

 Get an invite to a staff party

 Offer to take the boys Bowling at MBK before they have to work the next day

 Hang around for closing and buy a big tank of beer and offer it free to all staff. Costs very little but they all respect you for it and you become one of the team.

 Remember to smile and be fun as the boys work hard but love when somebody is telling jokes or being funny.

 Find out when the special promotion nights are on like Miss Soi 4. Truly worth a visit.

 Tip the waiter of your choice in the hand not on the tray. That way he don’t need to share it with the kitchen and other staff.

 Reward good service and always remember to SMILE even if you are angry about something (This is for all Thailand I point out).

Further to the people clearly just responding to promote there own venue can I remind you putting down the leading long standing competitor is a form of flattery.

Lots of love to all be boys of Telephone and cant wait to host your next staff party boys…. Bigger and better then ever!

As for Sak well … that boy moved on to a less paying job then on to Richards. From my understanding Richards and Telephone Pub management have an agreement in place not allowing poaching of staff and so Sak has been begging to come back to Telephone. Frankly I don’t know what all the fuss was about as most of the boys that have moved on from Telephone either had serious issues “This is know first hand”.

Sak is happier to work @Richard's than any other places he ever been to. Money is not subject, but respect in what he work for, his experience, and royalty for his work place is.

He never been begging to come back to Telephone. In fact, he was never recognized as the best royalty staff that Telephone ever had. ---that reason why he is working @Richard's, nowadays.

OK that’s enough I have to reply.

I am 28 and a Sydney boy that brings his BF of around the same age 4 times a year. My destination in Bangkok is Telephone Pub end of story!

This bar while only open a short time of the day (6pm – 2am) is the place to be and great place that you can chat to local boys and find out all the gossip.

As for the food I have been many times into the kitchen and its not only clean but for this fussy vegetarian perfect to my fussy taste.

But back to Telephone Pub… The staff treat you with real respect, remember my name and what I want to drink and all come to say goodbye when I fly home. I call it my 2nd home as I truly feel the team are genuine. The other thing people don’t see is the rubbish the boys put up with… and I do truly mean rubbish. Old farts coming in buying a single cheap beer for the night and giving no time every night and expecting a full time assistant to keep them occupied.

The drinks are not watered down. I have personally gone with management to purchase alcohol for the bar and so can assure you it’s in its intended form. Can I suggest in the hot weather your ice is melting or your makeup is falling into your drink making it taste different? Possibly try it without Ice and see the difference? Come on the bottles are mostly opened in front of you in plain sight and you can watch your drink get made.

There is no place in the world like Telephone Pub and I strongly suggest people look at it in a new light.

Here are some tips from me:

 Get an invite to a staff party

 Offer to take the boys Bowling at MBK before they have to work the next day

 Hang around for closing and buy a big tank of beer and offer it free to all staff. Costs very little but they all respect you for it and you become one of the team.

 Remember to smile and be fun as the boys work hard but love when somebody is telling jokes or being funny.

 Find out when the special promotion nights are on like Miss Soi 4. Truly worth a visit.

 Tip the waiter of your choice in the hand not on the tray. That way he don’t need to share it with the kitchen and other staff.

 Reward good service and always remember to SMILE even if you are angry about something (This is for all Thailand I point out).

Further to the people clearly just responding to promote there own venue can I remind you putting down the leading long standing competitor is a form of flattery.

Lots of love to all be boys of Telephone and cant wait to host your next staff party boys…. Bigger and better then ever!

Somehow this does not strike me as an unbiased response, more like a press release!

I have to laugh at Popshirts response and defense of Telephone Bar. Yes it does sound like a press release.

Let's see. He says get invited to a staff party. ha ha...So that you can pick up the tab? Bowling? These boys do not wake up before 4pm at the earliest. Buy beer at the end of the night...ok...but why would you want to be part of the team? Ok yes I agree be nice and smile. Tell jokes? Hmmm I think most of the humor unless slapstick would be lost on them. Promotion nights I agree can be fun. Tipping the waiter inhand is something I always did at Telephone but it seems to work against you as they begin to expect it all the time even for shoddy service.

Now you see it's the place to hang out for gossip. Gossip about who? The money boys or the staff that work there? Boring! Drinks I agree are not watered down but the food is mediocre.

Popshirt I suggest that you live here and not just visit if you really want to see Telephone Bar in action. Again I was a long time frequent customer since they opened years ago and the day's of Rome Club.

So the next time your hosting the staff party let us know! I will join!

I have to laugh at Popshirts response and defense of Telephone Bar. Yes it does sound like a press release.

Let's see. He says get invited to a staff party. ha ha...So that you can pick up the tab? Bowling? These boys do not wake up before 4pm at the earliest. Buy beer at the end of the night...ok...but why would you want to be part of the team? Ok yes I agree be nice and smile. Tell jokes? Hmmm I think most of the humor unless slapstick would be lost on them. Promotion nights I agree can be fun. Tipping the waiter inhand is something I always did at Telephone but it seems to work against you as they begin to expect it all the time even for shoddy service.

Now you see it's the place to hang out for gossip. Gossip about who? The money boys or the staff that work there? Boring! Drinks I agree are not watered down but the food is mediocre.

Popshirt I suggest that you live here and not just visit if you really want to see Telephone Bar in action. Again I was a long time frequent customer since they opened years ago and the day's of Rome Club.

So the next time your hosting the staff party let us know! I will join!

Ummm Flightcrew you should get your feet on the ground. That was not my post. I was certainly not defending Telephone Bar as it is one of the last places in LOS you would find me. And I do live in Bangkok full time.

I was responding to the post by Camo 007. His was the "insider" press release post, not mine.

For my money, give me Telephone any time.

When you pick up a guy in Telephone you know where you stand. See someone you fancy - go and have a chat. They tell you if they are for money or not, you get to know what they will do, how much it will cost and they stick to it.

@Richards, if there are any local guys in there, they are so scared of being branded "MoneyBoy" then you have to pretend that they are not for money in all the chatting; get them home and then they all come out with all the usual "can you help me" ... "it's just for a taxi" ... "it's for my sister's operation"

In my opinion, hooking up is more honest at Telephone.

For my money, give me Telephone any time.

When you pick up a guy in Telephone you know where you stand. See someone you fancy - go and have a chat. They tell you if they are for money or not, you get to know what they will do, how much it will cost and they stick to it.

@Richards, if there are any local guys in there, they are so scared of being branded "MoneyBoy" then you have to pretend that they are not for money in all the chatting; get them home and then they all come out with all the usual "can you help me" ... "it's just for a taxi" ... "it's for my sister's operation"

In my opinion, hooking up is more honest at Telephone.

So you are talking about paying for sex? hmmm ok

I know many non-hookers that frequent Telephone .. and 0 that frequent @Richards. However ... if you are all about hooking up ... and not in the same league as the momentary object of your affection ..... well .......

The cook in @Richards is a middle-aged woman.

Couldn't he find a gay man to be the cook? The gay community has hundreds of qualified experienced gay chefs searching for employment. This woman is not even a lesbian sister!

To me this shows inherent flaws in @Richards philosophy of being a community resource. By employing a woman he is not supporting the gay community. Or does Richard believe that a Thai woman's place is in the kitchen; catering to the whims of her farang employers?

Racism; Sexism and Ageism are all issues that the community needs to address.

The cook in @Richards is a middle-aged woman.

Couldn't he find a gay man to be the cook? The gay community has hundreds of qualified experienced gay chefs searching for employment. This woman is not even a lesbian sister!

To me this shows inherent flaws in @Richards philosophy of being a community resource. By employing a woman he is not supporting the gay community. Or does Richard believe that a Thai woman's place is in the kitchen; catering to the whims of her farang employers?

Racism; Sexism and Ageism are all issues that the community needs to address.

Your post is just plain silly. Stick around a while and learn something about life in Thailand before you sound off like a nitwit.

:o Unless of course you abide by commands like "You will soon deserve a holiday" and such like from the moderators whose word is the LAST word on any subject that they deem to be not in line with their philosophy that they promulgate incessantly, ad nauseum.... :D Dukkha

:o Unless of course you abide by commands like "You will soon deserve a holiday" and such like from the moderators whose word is the LAST word on any subject that they deem to be not in line with their philosophy that they promulgate incessantly, ad nauseum.... :D Dukkha

You're perfectly entitled to post what you want in here as long as you obey the forum rules. You have read the forum rules, haven't you? Specifically the rule which does not permit public discussion of moderation? If the TV gay forum doesn't suit you, there are other gay forums who I'm sure would welcome your contribution.