House-hunting In Chiang Mai

Tod Daniels

Hello,

After living in Bangkok between Soi Cowboy & NEP on Sukhumvit for 20 months, I have decided, much to the consternation of most sex-pats, this area is far from the "center of the known universe". To me it is not.

I am 47, retired, and after spending a week in Chiang Mai decided a slower pace of life would be a better 'fit' for my minimal needs.

Browsing some real estate places online, and speaking to several more while I was in Chiang Mai a week ago, it seems that housing is not a difficult proposition. Unfortunately, well located housing seems to be a horse of a different color. Everything I looked at, spoke to people about was either San-Sai, Hang-Dong Road, Doi Saket, etc, or many kilometers from the city itself.

I am looking for a 2 or 3 bedroom house, fenced yard (for my 2 cats here from America), a covered place to park my car, a European (farang) kitchen, air-con in at least the main bedroom, ability to get UBC and a phone line to get ADSL internet. I would like to pay no more than ฿10,000 a month.

My question is; Are there houses available in Chiang Mai, inside Highway 11 on the east and north, no further out than Choloprathan Road/CMU/CHX on the west & what is labeled the Super-highway 1141 on the south? While that area encompasses quite a lot with some of it more than a short walk into the heart of the city, I think it may serve my needs.

I realize, in all probability others have posted the same or similar requests, but any and all help would be appreciated. I return to Chiang Mai the beginning of January, with hopes of securing a place for a February move.

thanx in advance,

ท้อด แดเนียลส์: กรุงเทพมหานคร

Tod Daniels; Krung Thep Mahanakhon

Have you checked out 'http://professionals.co.th/ENG'? As for CM-city, I think they're near the top - but as for moo baans and country estates there are other brokers that have more on stock.

The properties come with photos and in most cases even with a small map, which makes it possible to locate them. I think the majority are for sale, but there are some for rent. It sounds like what you are looking for is what they call a 'townhouse' which usually comes with a small enclosing, but an alternative could be a shophouse, where you could use the groundfloor as garage - sometimes these have a small enclosing to the back.

Apologies for hopping on this thread.

Would 10k baht as proposed by the OP be realistic for what he wants? If not I'd be interested to know the range.

I've taken a rental outside town and would like to move to town - if I find the right house or flat. Hence my interest. My budget is flexible to somewhat more than 10k for the right place

People in other threads have recommended searching oneself for the 'to rent' boards. Would this best even for 'in town' places? Just how much more is one is going to end up paying if searching through an agent?

Hello,

After living in Bangkok between Soi Cowboy & NEP on Sukhumvit for 20 months, I have decided, much to the consternation of most sex-pats, this area is far from the "center of the known universe". To me it is not.

I am 47, retired, and after spending a week in Chiang Mai decided a slower pace of life would be a better 'fit' for my minimal needs.

Browsing some real estate places online, and speaking to several more while I was in Chiang Mai a week ago, it seems that housing is not a difficult proposition. Unfortunately, well located housing seems to be a horse of a different color. Everything I looked at, spoke to people about was either San-Sai, Hang-Dong Road, Doi Saket, etc, or many kilometers from the city itself.

I am looking for a 2 or 3 bedroom house, fenced yard (for my 2 cats here from America), a covered place to park my car, a European (farang) kitchen, air-con in at least the main bedroom, ability to get UBC and a phone line to get ADSL internet. I would like to pay no more than ฿10,000 a month.

My question is; Are there houses available in Chiang Mai, inside Highway 11 on the east and north, no further out than Choloprathan Road/CMU/CHX on the west & what is labeled the Super-highway 1141 on the south? While that area encompasses quite a lot with some of it more than a short walk into the heart of the city, I think it may serve my needs.

I realize, in all probability others have posted the same or similar requests, but any and all help would be appreciated. I return to Chiang Mai the beginning of January, with hopes of securing a place for a February move.

thanx in advance,

ท้อด แดเนียลส์: กรุงเทพมหานคร

Tod Daniels; Krung Thep Mahanakhon

Tod,

Doable, no problem......

I moved out of a house last July that is still available for 7500 Baht/Month

3 1/2 bedroom, 2 bath, Western Kitchen, Enormouse living room/Dining/office area, Private compound on Bumrungrad Soi 3 (Tapae Rd.).

No longer has A/C since when I moved I took mine with me....... You can easily walk to the Bank, Riverside Restaurant and night bazaar.

In the same compound there is a Lanna style 2 Bdrm, 1 bath, semi-western kitchen for 5000 Baht/month.

If you are interested PM me and I will get you in touch with the landlord.

Downside: I moved because of the flooding in the area (2005) and daily traffic congestion.