ROAD SAFETY in 2017, do you believe that anything will REALLY CHANGE ?

BsBs

70 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hello,

Just wondering if you anybody here believes that road safety will improve in Thailand this year ?

It's clearly impossible for me, because people in charge have no idea themselves about safety and other things.

How many times I have seen kids without safety belt in the front seat of Porsche, Benz and other luxury cars that supposed educated and rich people buy.

People in charge of this country are exactly the same old people as these ones and this is the reason why nothing will change, they just know nothing !

Their only chance would be to bring consultants from US or EU and let them decide, but is is also clearly impossible, Thai are too smart to need help...

Edited by BsBs

Thailand isn't ready for the motor vehicle. The only way to improve road safety is to confiscate everybody's car and motorcycle and replace them with a horse and cart. And even then they would probably be in the worlds top ten for fatal accidents. It will just get worse and worse, never better, too far gone.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I think things will change. The army has expressed concern and though I am not a fan of military dictatorships there will be an element of coercion involved. That said, I am sat in a bar near a group of students getting rat-arsed and they aren't walking home or hiring a taxi.

The key word, as has been said many times, is "enforcement", until we have reliable and consistent enforcers nothing is going to change no matter how many new rules are put in place.

EDIT

I learnt to drive in the UK in the late 70s, at that time seatbelt and helmet legislation was just coming in along with tachographs on HGV and PSV.

I reckon that early 80's UK was about the right level, enough control to ensure a reasonable level of safety, but not so much as the nanny state we have now where speed cameras are an income stream not a safety device.

If Thailand could get to that level ...

One really must wonder about the 4% who think things will change. Are they expecting things to get worse? They certainly aren't going to get better in 2017. If you had asked if driving might be better in Thaiiand in 2117 then that's a maybe.

53 minutes ago, Crossy said:

The key word, as has been said many times, is "enforcement", until we have reliable and consistent enforcers nothing is going to change no matter how many new rules are put in place.

I agree but...I also know that the reality for the majority of expats that live in Thailand is THIS "Lack Of Enforcement"

THIS is what they call / perceive as Freedom

Whether or not they even know that ??  :whistling:  Your guess is as good as mine.

But if Thailand became a lawful country...it would never ...it could never...happen selectively to just traffic problems.

It would become lawful with enforcement across the board like so many lawful countries.

The expats on this forum who always cry about what a nanny state their own countries are would have a fit....melt down

But the funniest part really is the fact that Thailand is a bigger nanny state even now than these expats home countries could ever be.

What a double whammy 555 :smile:

Changes are always slow in coming. as of January 1, new drivers must watch 5 hours of safety films, and pass a not so easy written test, (i failed it twice!) in order to get their license. a modest step in the right direction.

17 hours ago, i claudius said:

lets face it much as we love Thailand and living here ,if the average Thai drivers brains were made out of gunpowder ,they couldn't blow their hat off .

I wonder if they even have brains in the first place.

3 hours ago, meatboy said:

yes there will be a change,FOR THE WORSE.

If there are any changes, then yes, you are right. Has any expat ever gained from any change of rule in Thailand?

Now there's a good topic for the Pub Forum. Anybody?

The only way things will change is if the people want change. In this country its all or nothing. Thing are never gradual here. In the UK you could be facing a jail term of you use your phone whilst driving. The media will show a few people being jailed and a sea of change is placed in the minds of the people. Its gradual but effective.
Thai brains are wired very differently.

Sent from my i-mobile_i-STYLE_219 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

EDIT

I learnt to drive in the UK in the late 70s, at that time seatbelt and helmet legislation was just coming in along with tachographs on HGV and PSV.

I reckon that early 80's UK was about the right level, enough control to ensure a reasonable level of safety, but not so much as the nanny state we have now where speed cameras are an income stream not a safety device.

If Thailand could get to that level ...

So it will never change. Enforcement means 10000 thb fine for any offence and jail time for drunk driving.

Then when many drunk low pickup drivers so will have friends staying in jail for weeks or months, and I repeat MANY, then they will start to wonder if they should change their attitude, and even, not sure...

Si the result is that 1 year is not enough for Thai to have enough friends who paid 10000+ fine or have been sent to jail, as they are quite slow to understand, they need several years before it comes to their brain.

I can think about mentality change starting in 2020 but maybe wait 2025 for most to start thinking that it's time to really change !

Really-"NO." When you have a corrupt Royal Thai Policemen that clips Expat's/Thai's with Bogus charges for extra money in their pocket than enforcing their laws-"HUGE PROBLEM!!"

The Answer My Friend Is Blowin In The Wind,

The Answer Is Blowin In The Wind!

3 hours ago, TaveewatLim said:

Hope the high speed train project can solve problems, nobody want to take risk in the van but there's no Econo choices.

When the High speed train lapses for many of its future routine maintainance and services, you'll have some High speed train crashes too no doubt.

How can anyone expect any change for the better when the average Thai, let alone their government, has no concept of safety. We see it nightly on the TV news, the latest exercise in lack of judgement and plain stupidity involved in these car accidents. Further more, safety is not planned into highway nor standard road design. The only solution will be to follow the suggestions of the supreme leader...be careful out there when your driving.