Law on Smoking in Restaurants

digitalchromakey

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 1992, Thailand passed two main laws that govern tobacco control: 1) Tobacco Products Control Act, B.E. 2535, which governs packaging and labeling of tobacco products and tobacco advertising, promotion and sponsorship; and 2) The Non-Smokers Health Protection Act, B.E. 2535, which governs public smoking. Pursuant to the Non-Smokers Health Protection Act, the Ministry of Public Health has issued numerous Notices increasingly prohibiting or restricting public smoking. The most recent notice - Ministry of Public Health Notice (Volume 19) of 2010 - prohibits smoking in all indoor public places, workplaces, and public transport and some outdoor places, with the sole exception of international airports, which have designated smoking areas.

This includes shopping Malls, Restaurants and Eating Places. The penalty is a B2,000 fine.

Just for the sake of the discussion, what does it matter what the actual law is?  Did you plan to call the police to enforce that law whenever you see it misapplied?  Serious questions, not trying to troll or bait anyone.    

Many places have designated the indoor section as the non-smoking area and the outdoor section as the smoking area.  Seems to work out pretty well except for the non-smokers who insist on sitting in the designated smoking section and then complaining that people are smoking.  (Or, even better, doing that fake exaggerated "cough, cough" thing to express their displeasure.)  

When in Rome.....

33 minutes ago, Diplomatico said:

Just for the sake of the discussion, what does it matter what the actual law is?  Did you plan to call the police to enforce that law whenever you see it misapplied?  Serious questions, not trying to troll or bait anyone.    

Many places have designated the indoor section as the non-smoking area and the outdoor section as the smoking area.  Seems to work out pretty well except for the non-smokers who insist on sitting in the designated smoking section and then complaining that people are smoking.  (Or, even better, doing that fake exaggerated "cough, cough" thing to express their displeasure.)  

When in Rome.....

Do you really think tobacco smoke displeasure is faked?

All I can say is some smokers are  disrespectful people.

who just care about their dirty  filthy  habit .

back home new laws coming in this year no smoking near out doors eating areas smokers have to smoke 50 mt away , good.

thailand needs to do the same .

you want to smoke go smoke in the car park.

seen in thailand that most thai restaurants run by Thais ,will not let you smoker in the restaurant but in the restaurant run by westerners you can smoke that is just bs .

4 minutes ago, Familyonthemove said:

..... But what you implied.

I beg to differ....it may be what someone inferred but was not the implication.  The statement I made was in reference to fake exaggerated coughing as a means to express one's displeasure, not that people cannot or do not actually dislike tobacco smoke.  

Latest research shows that smoking causes permanent mutations to your DNA. Give up smoking for 20 years and you can still get smoking related cancer.

Quote:    "The analysis shows a direct link between the number of cigarettes smoked in a lifetime and the number of mutations in tumour DNA."

So your choice is either to stop smoking and avoid second hand smoke.

Or carry on smoking because the damage is already done.

But it is near on criminal to force other people to breathe your cigarette smoke.

26 minutes ago, rak sa_ngop said:

Latest research shows that smoking causes permanent mutations to your DNA. Give up smoking for 20 years and you can still get smoking related cancer.

Quote:    "The analysis shows a direct link between the number of cigarettes smoked in a lifetime and the number of mutations in tumour DNA."

So your choice is either to stop smoking and avoid second hand smoke.

Or carry on smoking because the damage is already done.

But it is near on criminal to force other people to breathe your cigarette smoke.

Latest research also showed that old age causes death. Any suggestions to reverse the aging process?

49 minutes ago, georgemandm said:

All I can say is some smokers are  disrespectful people.

who just care about their dirty  filthy  habit .

back home new laws coming in this year no smoking near out doors eating areas smokers have to smoke 50 mt away , good.

thailand needs to do the same .

you want to smoke go smoke in the car park.

seen in thailand that most thai restaurants run by Thais ,will not let you smoker in the restaurant but in the restaurant run by westerners you can smoke that is just bs .

I usually curl a lip at those "nanny state... I can drive drunk here!" types, but ya brought it out in me. "Dirty filthy habit" is why I always try to find something more dirty, more filthy to do while smoking. Use your imagination. Kidding. 50 mt away? What if someone farts? Have to be 20 mt away? Some places, I think San Francisco, outlawed smoking in parks.....

My experience regarding who will or won't allow smoking not based on nationality. More like "local interpretation" as it is with most Thai laws. I would even guess smoking less in farang owned restaurants as cops look to us as easy shakedown....

Cheers and enjoy life back home, in the lands of the free and well regulated

I have been in eating places where no matter what the rule is,some Thai people will smoke regardless. They usually congregate around tables that they consider to be their's by right,like they think they have their  names on them.But to complain to a waitress/waiter,manager about them,is rather like shaking a red rag to a bull.I would just not tip and not use the restaurant in the future. It would seem that the sign with the cigarette with the line through it does not apply to them.

1 hour ago, Diplomatico said:

<snip>

<snip>

Or.... the smokers who insist on sitting in the indoor section and light-up.

For example, there's a restaurant that I frequent that has both indoor and outdoor sections. The indoor section has multiple "no smoking" signs complete with graphics, however people (typically Europeans) inevitably sit at one of the tables an arms-length from a no-smoking sign and start smoking as if the sign doesn't apply to them.

The "cough, cough" you'd hear from me isn't fake or exaggerated. I have a hypersensitivity to cigarette smoke, and when eating near someone smoking, the food tastes as if I'm licking the inside of an ashtray. That's why I seek out restaurants with no-smoking areas. Unfortunately, more often than not, my meal is completely ruined by some d**khead who thinks he has the divine right to ignore the regulations or policies and foul the air that the customers around him have no choice but to breathe.

18 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

I usually curl a lip at those "nanny state... I can drive drunk here!" types, but ya brought it out in me. "Dirty filthy habit" is why I always try to find something more dirty, more filthy to do while smoking. Use your imagination. Kidding. 50 mt away? What if someone farts? Have to be 20 mt away? Some places, I think San Francisco, outlawed smoking in parks.....

My experience regarding who will or won't allow smoking not based on nationality. More like "local interpretation" as it is with most Thai laws. I would even guess smoking less in farang owned restaurants as cops look to us as easy shakedown....

Cheers and enjoy life back home, in the lands of the free and well regulated

If I had my way people should just smoke in there homes but not up to me .

you live in a nanny state in thailand and yes I live in one to but I have  freedom of speech you don't .

thanks, love it back home in the free and well regulated , at less I know when I drive around it is not like playing  Russian roulette like on thai roads take you life in to your own hands .

you say nanny state were I come from but you then say your shakedown  by the cops now who lives in a nanny state you more then me .

cheers to you in your smoked  full bars and restaurants , like it my way 1 million % more . 

Ps not have a go at you , just saying like I see it . 

My best friend since high school was a smoker. He loved to smoke and he loved everything about smoking. His whole day was filled with thoughts of where he would have his next smoke. Smoke, smoke, smoke, smoke.

He died a very painful death 7 years ago, from Emphysema and other pulmonary related problems. He was only 47.

He was a good guy, and I miss him.

Have a nice day.

17 minutes ago, georgemandm said:

If I had my way people should just smoke in there homes but not up to me .

you live in a nanny state in thailand and yes I live in one to but I have  freedom of speech you don't .

thanks, love it back home in the free and well regulated , at less I know when I drive around it is not like playing  Russian roulette like on thai roads take you life in to your own hands .

you say nanny state were I come from but you then say your shakedown  by the cops now who lives in a nanny state you more then me .

cheers to you in your smoked  full bars and restaurants , like it my way 1 million % more . 

Ps not have a go at you , just saying like I see it . 

Why do you hangout in a Thai forum?

Pick ups that belch smoke should be banned , coming back new year from Nan and there was a smoke haze over the road , when I caught up with it it was a scooter , more smoke from that in one minute than what my cigarettes produce in years. Ok so I smoke but I do respect folk who don't , no smoking in my car and certainly not in my house. I go outside in the pub/restaurant in my town unless I get an outside pew , last time it rained I asked a couple nearby if I could light up as they were the only 2 left . No prob.

25 minutes ago, DrDave said:

Or.... the smokers who insist on sitting in the indoor section and light-up.

For example, there's a restaurant that I frequent that has both indoor and outdoor sections. The indoor section has multiple "no smoking" signs complete with graphics, however people (typically Europeans) inevitably sit at one of the tables an arms-length from a no-smoking sign and start smoking as if the sign doesn't apply to them.

The "cough, cough" you'd hear from me isn't fake or exaggerated. I have a hypersensitivity to cigarette smoke, and when eating near someone smoking, the food tastes as if I'm licking the inside of an ashtray. That's why I seek out restaurants with no-smoking areas. Unfortunately, more often than not, my meal is completely ruined by some d**khead who thinks he has the divine right to ignore the regulations or policies and foul the air that the customers around him have no choice but to breathe.

I'm with you all the way on that scenario.  I see the opposite occur more often (non-smokers sitting in the smoking section) probably because people enjoy sitting outdoors when the weather is nice.  I've rarely seen smokers insist on lighting up indoors (even during inclement weather) but that's not satisfactory by any standard.  

20 minutes ago, Shot said:

My best friend since high school was a smoker. He loved to smoke and he loved everything about smoking. His whole day was filled with thoughts of where he would have his next smoke. Smoke, smoke, smoke, smoke.

He died a very painful death 7 years ago, from Emphysema and other pulmonary related problems. He was only 47.

He was a good guy, and I miss him.

Have a nice day.

Sad,but  a Friends Dad is 96Years now and smoke every single Day one or two  Cigars sience he was 22. Hes healthy and mobile.

I agree wholeheartedly with Dr Dave, and that is my experience too!  Very often it is farangs who light up inside restaurants, and resent being asked to desist!  Many travel to LOS because of the lax attitude towards smoking inside, as the Thai owners are fearful of losing business!  Little do they realise they are also losing the custom of non-smokers who are fed up at having their meal spoilt by chain smoking at nearby tables !

18 minutes ago, thedemon said:

Why do you hangout in a Thai forum?

Why not I come and go to thailand so because I not live full time dose that mean I can't have a say .

why do you read what I say and why reply to my  comments . 

It is a free forum and a free world you are not my maker or my boss .

I think there is too much hysteria about smokers. In the 60's everyone smoked everywhere. Then propaganda starts against smoking. However, where is an ashtray, I smoke. Smoking doesn't kill instantly. And the passive smokers should be grateful, since they smoke for free while we pay their taxes.

5 minutes ago, alocacoc said:

I think there is too much hysteria about smokers. In the 60's everyone smoked everywhere. Then propaganda starts against smoking. However, where is an ashtray, I smoke. Smoking doesn't kill instantly. And the passive smokers should be grateful, since they smoke for free while we pay their taxes.

Now I did laugh at your bs  comments about smoking. 

Up to you if you want to kill your self but do it in your own back yard.

and yes the more taxes you pay the better it is for me .