Trump’s attorney general nominee denies KKK sympathies

webfact

Trump’s attorney general nominee denies KKK sympathies

606x341_354605.jpg

WASHINGTON: -- It was a rowdy start for the confirmation hearing for Senator Jeff Sessions who is Donald Trump’s nominee for the job of attorney general. Several protesters heckled him while others dressed up as members of the anti-black Ku Klux Klan.

For many, Sessions is a highly controversial candidate with critics accusing him of being racist and having a poor record on human rights.

In 1986, Sessions was denied confirmation to a federal judgeship after allegations emerged that he made racist remarks, including testimony that he called an African-American prosecutor “boy,” It is an allegation Sessions has denied.

Sessions from the very beginning of the hearing defended himself:

“I was accused in 1986 of failing to protect the voting rights of African-Americans […] and of condemning civil rights advocates and organizations and even harbouring, amazingly, sympathies for the KKK. These are damnably false charges. I abhor the Klan and what it represents and its hateful ideology.”

Democratic Senator Dianne Feinstein said however, that the Senate Judiciary Committee had received letters from 400 civil rights organizations opposing Sessions’ confirmation to the country’s top law enforcement post.

As attorney general, Sessions would be responsible for giving unbiased legal advice to the president and executive agencies.

This week seven cabinet hopefuls are in for grillings before the Senate committee tasked with confirming their appointments. With the Republicans in the majority in Congress some see the hearings as merely a “rubber stamp” for the president-elect’s choices.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2017-01-11

800 groups have written letters against Jeff Sessions since he was nominated; darn those guys write fast. I'm thinking they all wrote the same letter dictated to them by somebody. In this case 800 letters isn't impressive Senator Feinstein.

I've got no use for this guy and I think he's bad news and dishonest.  But the focus should be on the failed voter fraud case he backed against 3 black civil rights workers.  Or his opposition to the Voting Rights Act. Or his calling the ACLU and the NAACP unAmerican. I actually believe him when he said he was joking about the KKK. 

7 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

800 groups have written letters against Jeff Sessions since he was nominated; darn those guys write fast. I'm thinking they all wrote the same letter dictated to them by somebody. In this case 800 letters isn't impressive Senator Feinstein.

A letter urging the rejection of Sen. Jeff Sessions as attorney general of the United States was signed by more than 1,400 law school faculty members across the country representing over 100 law schools.

Just now, elgordo38 said:

Short on substance long on the same old "Make America Great Again" song and dance. This old line is really starting to ring hollow. 

Personally, I find most speeches by politicians substance-less and boring. However, I do remember a great one by Tony Blair. I know that he is not very popular, but boy could he communicate!

10 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

Personally, I find most speeches by politicians substance-less and boring. However, I do remember a great one by Tony Blair. I know that he is not very popular, but boy could he communicate!

Just as Obama can, he leaves the thatched one streets behind.

10 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

I have to agree he was a good speaker. His weakness was thinking for himself. He turned out to be George Bushes Mini-Me. Time marched on and he served his time and now is a "pensioner" Wow what a deal that is. Here is a link to show that he is a constant taxpayer parasite. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jun/12/tony-blair-police-protection-costs-taxpayers-millions-report-claims Plus a good public annual stipend for "operating expenses" plus pension plus plus plus. One would think when politicians step out of public office we are rid of them but that is when the financial heavy lifting starts for the taxpayer as in this case. Now our dear Tony wants to float down from the heavenly bliss that enjoys and once again be "the leader" of the people. Yes only in his dreams I am afraid.