Chinese "gold diggers" arrested in North Thailand

webfact

Chinese "gold diggers" arrested in North Thailand

4p.jpg

Picture: Thai News Agency

LAMPANG: -- Four Chinese tourists face deportation after being caught panning for gold in a Lampang River.

They were the latest arrests in a crackdown on illegal gold operations in the Wang Neua area of the northern province. Joint Thai/Chinese criminals are operating illegal mines and other facilities in the area, reports Thai News Agency.

These arrests in the village of Ban Khan Horm followed others who were rounded up last week. The Chinese were staying in rented accommodation.

They were panning for gold on the Wang River. They were all found to be in the kingdom on tourist visas and were being readied for deportation.

Source: Thai News Agency

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-01-11

1 hour ago, A1Str8 said:

So what? It's not like the gold belongs to specific people and nobody else can touch it. 

Google "Licence to pan for gold in Thailand":

"Before you reach for your gold pan and start swirling you will need to obtain a permit from the Thai government for your prospecting and you’ll also have to pay a percentage of your earnings into a fund established by the Thai government to look after the environment."

2 hours ago, A1Str8 said:

So what? It's not like the gold belongs to specific people and nobody else can touch it. 

Sure, let me set up an oil rig in your home country and get me some black gold, as like you said, its not like it belongs to specific ppl and no one else can touch it.

Sheeesh, some ppl have a weird perception on the world 

29 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

Sounds like a tourist activity; "Spend a day panning for gold in the traditional Thai way".  I'd quite fancy a go if I saw it advertised.

Happens in NZ and was a pleasant excursion.

http://www.goldfieldsmining.co.nz/other-attractions/

Additionally setting up of a tourist venture might provide a better all round outcome financially for the local community as depicted in the following article .

https://www.theguardian.com/world/gallery/2014/mar/28/thai-villagers-pan-for-gold-in-pictures

26 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Tut tut!!

'Glisters'

Tut tut,  dinosaur:smile:

Modern times have seen glitter well overtake glisters for use in the adage.

Shakespeare is probably rolling in his grave with its now colloquial use in association with a brand of toothpaste.

6 minutes ago, Paul Catton said:

Tut tut,  dinosaur:smile:

Modern times have seen glitter well overtake glisters for use in the adage.

Shakespeare is probably rolling in his grave with its now colloquial use in association with a brand of toothpaste.

Helps the smiles though.

??

To be honest I thought it was his wheel maker brother Bob Spokeshave who penned it.

Sorry, having a can't take the day serious kind of day. SWMBO is in a good mood and it's ( I was going to say rubbing off on me but I know some of the minds on TV)

having a good effect on me.

??

Now of course mining for gold as a foreigner is illegal here, but I'm sure if you went down there like I did a couple eyars ago they might let you participate.  I've been there a few times mucking about in the river drinking laow kaow with the locals.  They were all quite welcoming and friendly despite my terrible thai language skills at the time.  There were a couple families there and they all had some small viles of gold, a whole days work might net them a couple of grams between all 12 of them.  Very rudimentary operation, no sleuce box just a big pan that im sure doubled as a cooking wok sometimes. Followed the river up to the water fall and into the mountains looking for the motherlode.  Never found anything interesting just lots of quartz.  On the plus side I did find some great off road trails over the mountain down into Phayao and the waterfall is good hike. Good for a day trip if you want to ride some trails and see something different.

If anyones interested, rent a bike and drive to this area here:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@19.2762424,99.6339215,16.69z

Just find a road that leeds to the river and follow the river by trail or in the river itself until you find some 'miners'

Rgs

SM

11 hours ago, Redline said:

You can't pan for gold on your holiday?  Can you use a metal detector?

My information was that metal detecting for precious metals is also considered "mining" even though 99% of what you mine is actually garbage.

"A GPX5000 did not find anything interesting in Wang Nuea, but did find lots of metal trash."

Even in the mountains there's so much modern metal trash about it very discouraging.  One area that's very promising for metal detecting would be the construction excavations they are doing in the washed gravel beds beside the river.  Maybe an enterprising metal detectorist might try going over the piles of gravel from the excavations. 

Rgs

SM 

6 hours ago, STUDMEYER said:

My information was that metal detecting for precious metals is also considered "mining" even though 99% of what you mine is actually garbage.

Even in the mountains there's so much modern metal trash about it very discouraging.  One area that's very promising for metal detecting would be the construction excavations they are doing in the washed gravel beds beside the river.  Maybe an enterprising metal detectorist might try going over the piles of gravel from the excavations. 

Rgs

SM 

Soon they will make foreigners show receipts that they spent a certain amount of money, or be fined 

21 hours ago, oby said:

ID: 15   Posted 7 hours ago ·

Sounds like a tourist activity; "Spend a day panning for gold in the traditional Thai way".  I'd quite fancy a go if I saw it advertised.

~~~~google *pan gold bang saphan* and good luck~~~

can chuck little balls of foil in there to get attention-boost sales

:wai:

More Zero bath tourists, you got to hand it to the Chinese they can find a way with everything except in Thailand as they do not know about brown envelopes, someone please do a Chinese write up and stick it on ali BABA as we need these chinese, as all the others have gone To >am..... a much nicer place

What's next?  Deported for picking up seashells on the beach?

A polite warning would probably have done the trick, and not made the rounds on the Chinese blogs, further reducing the already falling number of Chinese interested in a holiday in Thailand.

16 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

More Zero bath tourists, you got to hand it to the Chinese they can find a way with everything except in Thailand as they do not know about brown envelopes, someone please do a Chinese write up and stick it on ali BABA as we need these chinese, as all the others have gone To >am..... a much nicer place

In China, they use red envelopes, and who do you think taught the Thais about envelopes?  Certainly not their western visitors. 

16 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

You mean as well as spending no money they don't wash?

Zero bath !!!!!