nana plaza back in the day

upside

35 minutes ago, overherebc said:

For me back in the day means 80's 90's. At the time the whole area was open for parking cars as well, long before all the stall type bars started appearing.

Yeah though to actually park your car there you had to deal with the black-plate taxi drivers that considered the place theirs so the spaces were mostly taken up by ancient Toyota Crowns and Holdens.

4 minutes ago, thedemon said:

Yeah though to actually park your car there you had to deal with the black-plate taxi drivers that considered the place theirs so the spaces were mostly taken up by ancient Toyota Crowns and Holdens.

True. I was quite matey with one of them and if I gave him the keys he would park it for me so never caused a hassle. Never had any damage to it and I suppose it wasn't really worth stealing anyway. Used the same guy for Pattaya runs as well, he would drive me down on Friday and pick me up again Monday and he always managed to have a passenger for every journey. In the pre-motorway days it was much easier to relax in the back seat than handle the traffic as it was a 5 or sometime 8 hour journey, sometimes longer. depending on traffic, included stop for lunch etc.

• Like 1

On 25/01/2017 at 7:34 PM, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Okay, so you checked out all the other bars, and no katoys to be seen?

I believe you. That sign must be true then.

Thanks for the info.

Please note everyone.

Cockatoo is the only ladyboy bar in Cowboy. That's not to say there aren't any hiding out in other bars.

On the other hand, there are several ladyboy bars in NEP.

12 hours ago, tw25rw said:

Cockatoo is the only ladyboy bar in Cowboy. That's not to say there aren't any hiding out in other bars.

On the other hand, there are several ladyboy bars in NEP.

Without physically inspecting all the bars and employees therein I would say Cockatoo is likely the only 100% ladyboy bar in Cowboy. Judging by what is dressed in bikinis and stood on the street outside several of the other bars I would guess 3-4 have katoy employees.

Far too many MGBGT bars in Nana now.

• 4 weeks later...

I was up around that area yesterday and got talking to someone about the Nana Disco.

I can remember it being opened by a tall bloke called Rick and it was an instant runanway success.

Whatever happened to that Rick?

• 2 weeks later...
On March 6, 2017 at 0:34 PM, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

$8 in 1967? Just checked Trivago. How much was a shag? Room is Cheaper today with inflation.

USD 7 in1967 purchased more than one quarter oz (4/15 oz )of .999 gold ! And it purchased a lot in BKK and even more in the north. 100 Baht "brought" a long time real winner. Half that for a freelance University student. Enough to buy about 80 bowls guaytheow moo with seven USD. Not sure about Trivago's inflation factor but suspect it's based on US CPI which has been redefined so many times it reflects more what the US federal goverment wants it to be then reality.

Edited by drbill

On March 6, 2017 at 0:34 PM, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

$8 in 1967? Just checked Trivago. How much was a shag? Room is Cheaper today with inflation.

Also FYI the exchange rate was about 20 baht/$1 back then or just fractionally more.  500 baht notes didn't exist. 100's were the highest. They were not readily accepted by the street food venders. There was even a 5 baht note.

We had pockets filled with coins from 10 satang to 10 baht and we used the satang coins. Nothing was just rounded to the baht. A bowl of rice with gang kee wan was 1.5 baht. A bowl of noodles the same. Pla too were 2 for a baht.The BKK bus fare was 50 satang back then. A samlor in Chiang Mai was 2 or 3 baht. This gives you another perspective of what USD 7 was worth in '67.

Edited by drbill
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, drbill said:

Also FYI the exchange rate was about 20 baht/$1 back then or just fractionally more.  500 baht notes didn't exist. 100's were the highest. They were not readily accepted by the street food venders. There was even a 5 baht note.

We had pockets filled with coins from 10 satang to 10 baht and we used the satang coins. Nothing was just rounded to the baht. A bowl of rice with gang kee wan was 1.5 baht. Pla too were 2 for a baht.The BKK bus fare was 50 satang back then. This gives you another perspective of what USD7 was worth in '67.

Wow '67 was just before the height of the Vietnam War pretty much. Was almost twenty years before I came here first time. Did you really have ten baht coins in those days?

On 24.1.2017 at 6:43 PM, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

I was in Cowboy about 10 days ago. There are about 5-6 ladyboy bars there now. Thing that has changed is the hustlers, it is as bad as anywhere else now.

Have fun...

5-6 ladyboy bars on Soi Cowboy? Which ones? Cockatoo, and..?

5 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

We went through this weeks ago, have a look back...

Cockatoo is 100% katoy, but there are 4-5 others that have them, go and look.

I had a look. Didn't see any other bars mentioned.

• Like 1

On 11/03/2017 at 1:34 AM, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Wow '67 was just before the height of the Vietnam War pretty much. Was almost twenty years before I came here first time. Did you really have ten baht coins in those days?

No, there was not a 10 Baht coin. The 10b note, brown colour, was phased out about 15 years ago. The 2 baht coin was introduced around the same time. I vaguely recall a 5 Baht note: for some reason I recall it being a smaller size than the other, but I could very easily be wrong and might be thinking of another country.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Sorry, go to Cowboy and see if the only bar with katoys is Cockatoo...

Then you will understand.

I did go there. How could I go to Thailand without visiting Soi Cowboy? And yes, I did see ladyboys in a couple of other bars, but they were not dancing on stage. They were serving drinks.

But why would I have to go and see for myself? If you know about other bars that employ ladyboys, name them. What's the point in making a vague claim and then making the specifics a secret?

Edited by weejun

15 minutes ago, weejun said:

I did go there. How could I go to Thailand without visiting Soi Cowboy? And yes, I did see ladyboys in a couple of other bars, but they were not dancing on stage. They were serving drinks.

But why would I have to go and see for myself? If you know about other bars that employ ladyboys, name them. What's the point in making a vague claim and then making the specifics a secret?

Ha ha. If you like to see katoys dancing that is your business in these PC days.

I'm not a tourist, and I don't give advice on where tourists should go, I only give my observations on a specific question.

My Thai missus is all original woman.

Enjoy your stay.

On 3/12/2017 at 6:01 AM, Prbkk said:

No, there was not a 10 Baht coin. The 10b note, brown colour, was phased out about 15 years ago. The 2 baht coin was introduced around the same time. I vaguely recall a 5 Baht note: for some reason I recall it being a smaller size than the other, but I could very easily be wrong and might be thinking of another country.

I remember the 10 baht note. It was very common in 1989 when I first came in Thailand. I vaguely remember the 2 baht coin too. I have no memory of a 5 baht note at all.

On 1/12/2017 at 7:16 PM, Fabricus said:

I definitely remember the name Three Roses. Wasn't that Nana Plaza?

Originally their was a Three Roses bar at Soi 16 (Sukhumvit) as well as a few other bars.   Back in the late 60's and early 70's  that was a hot area, before Soi Cowboy and Nana Plaza.      

1 hour ago, Ulysses G. said:

I remember the 10 baht note. It was very common in 1989 when I first came in Thailand. I vaguely remember the 2 baht coin too. I have no memory of a 5 baht note at all.

I also remember the 1 bhat note.     When I arrived here in 1967 they were still in circulation.

On 12.3.2017 at 10:20 PM, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Ha ha. If you like to see katoys dancing that is your business in these PC days.

I'm not a tourist, and I don't give advice on where tourists should go, I only give my observations on a specific question.

My Thai missus is all original woman.

Enjoy your stay.

I'm actually not into ladyboys, so I avoided Cockatoo when I went to Soi Cowboy to see the place for myself. I was under the impression that other clubs/bar on Soi Cowboy were ladyboy-free. When someone claims otherwise I obviously become curious. I also read elsewhere that Cockatoo is the only LB place on SC.

So if that is wrong I would like to know what other places have LBs on stage.

On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 3:14 AM, weejun said:

I'm actually not into ladyboys, so I avoided Cockatoo when I went to Soi Cowboy to see the place for myself. I was under the impression that other clubs/bar on Soi Cowboy were ladyboy-free. When someone claims otherwise I obviously become curious. I also read elsewhere that Cockatoo is the only LB place on SC.

So if that is wrong I would like to know what other places have LBs on stage.

You're right, no other Cowboy gogo's have LB's as dancers or coyotes.

• 3 weeks later...

We had pockets filled with coins from 10 satang to 10 baht and we used the satang coins. Nothing was just rounded to the baht. A bowl of rice with gang kee wan was 1.5 baht. A bowl of noodles the same. Pla too were 2 for a baht.The BKK bus fare was 50 satang back then. A samlor in Chiang Mai was 2 or 3 baht. This gives you another perspective of what USD 7 was worth in '67.

I had searched on Trivago, came up with Nana Hotel $37. $8 in 1967 was much more than $37 is today for sure.

• 1 year later...
On 16/01/2017 at 10:06 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

A colleague of mine came to work near Bangkok for a while around 1990 ( I guess) and he told me tales of The Wank Bar and No Hands Restaurant.
Anybody remember, or heard of, these ??

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

No Hands was in Cowboy.

On 14/03/2017 at 8:24 AM, Spaniel said:

Originally their was a Three Roses bar at Soi 16 (Sukhumvit) as well as a few other bars.   Back in the late 60's and early 70's  that was a hot area, before Soi Cowboy and Nana Plaza.      

Wasn't Three Roses upstairs on the left about 4 bars along or maybe upstairs on the right almost at the far end?