Visa Options

I cannot find the exact answer in the visas forum.

I am married to a Thai citizen and retiring to Thailand next month. I tried to apply for a Non-Imm O visa based on marriage, but the consul has rejected the document which I thought was my Marriage Certificate and time is short, I may not be able to obtain a new copy from Thailand in time.The paperwork for my company pension has also been rejected as "not authenticated" so a retirement Visa is not available.  As I understand it I can enter Thailand on a visa exempt basis (for which I will need a return ticket) or a Touist Visa. Can I change the visa basis once I am in thailand and how do I do it ?

You can just enter Thailand on a 30 days visa exempt ("Visa on arrival") and convert it to a 1 year marriage extension. I did it and from memory it took all together 3 trips to Chang Wattana.

To start the process you need 400K in the bank, pictures of you and Miss Maybole inside and in front of you residence and a long list of documents.  

Edited by ExpatOilWorker

What did your Marriage Certificate look like?

Was it pretty with flowers round the border?

Yes you can convert your Tourist Stay to a Non Imm Visa in Bangkok providing you qualify for a 12 month extension of stay.

400,000 Baht in a Thai bank or 40,000 monthly income.

You would still need the marriage certificate although I don't think you will get a replacement If you have lost it.

You would have been issued 2 of them.

Edited by Lite Beer

You don't need a return ticket for the visa exempt entry or the tourist visa. A one way ticket to a nearby country will be accepted for proof of onward travel.

You can change to a 90 day non immigrant visa ( category O) entry at some immigration office but you will need to do when you have at least 15 days remaining on your entry. You also need the financial proof required for an extension of stay based upon marriage or retirement to apply for it.

Further information has come to light. We married in Scotland in 1986 but have did not register the marriage until Feb 1014. We were not issued with a Thai Marriage Certificate. My wie asked for one at the time and was told that because we already had a Scottish Certificate that was sufficient. Furthemore the official said " you cannot have two". This Scottish Certificate, even with certified translation, is not acceptable for Visa puposes.  Without a Thai certificate I may have difficulty getting an extension based on marriage

I have asked family in Chiangmai to try again at the ampeu but in the meantime I am touting for any more sensible  suggestions.