Tip Box at Immigration - Against the law

ThaiCitizen

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I think that doing your job conscientiously and honestly in return for your salary is appropriate.

I agree 100%.  I never got tips when I was working and I always delivered.

Edited by Gerard052

24 minutes ago, al007 said:

I can only speak from my own experience

I am an inpatient man, I do not suffer fools gladly

I keep up to date on immigration requirements, I do my best to give them what they ask for

I do not challenge them about what they say they require

(I do not agree with what they ask for but this is their country not mine)

I dress very smartly as does my wife when we go to immigration

WE ofter run into immigration officials at restaurants, I always smile and buy them a drink

I try to treat them as equals  

I travelled the world on my own 60ft trawler yacht, for 12 yrs,and met immigration officials the world over, and generally they were all far far worse than here in Thailand, in the USA they had some of the rudest and most unfriendly I have ever met

My opinions are my property and I know how immigration upsets many TV people, but I vote very strongly in FAVOR OF THAI IMMIGRATION

I also believe we make some of our luck, yes we need it, but we can influence it

Next time when I am mad at immigration ! I will reread my own post and look carefully in the mirror

Incidentally I do not tip immigration officials, but if they did something beyond their normal duty yes I would

This is a very good story, and I agree with most of it, if not all, but when you say you vote very strongly in FAVOUR OF THAI IMMIGRATION, do you mean the officers personally? If so, I agree with you, but I do not think us expats, get a good deal here in Thailand, not being allowed to own your house is very unfair, and there are too many unnecessary hoops to jump through. Just my opinion.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Boycie said:

They couldn't spell 'suggestion'? :whistling:

You are right sir! The words are synonymous. We should flood the box with little folded pieces of paper with hand written "tips" on them. For example: "stop taking money for free services" or "in general do your job with a smile not a scowl" or "news flash: we are not all wanted for crimes in our home country". The "tip" box would be gone before lunch.

16 hours ago, ThaiCitizen said:

What would be the best course of action to take here?

My, my. Very full of ourselves, aren't we? 

Why not refuse to accept your extension or do your 90 day report or whatever. That'll show 'em not to mess with you.

If you're really a Thai Citizen as your posting name implies, what are you doing at immigrations and why would you pose such a question on a forum largely catering to foreigners?

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

My, my. Very full of ourselves, aren't we? 

Why not refuse to accept your extension or do your 90 day report or whatever. That'll show 'em not to mess with you.

If you're really a Thai Citizen as your posting name implies, what are you doing at immigrations and why would you pose such a question on a forum largely catering to foreigners?

Please explain how I am full of myself?

I found this forum when looking for information to become a Thai Citizen, hence the name.

Sorry if that offends you.

I’m sick of immigration which is the main reason for getting citizenship.

When you have a meal and the service has been great do you tip. I do

When you get goods delivered on time with an exellent helpful driver do you tip. I do.

When you stay at a hotel and the staff are friendly and helpful do you tip. I do.

So when your at immigration and the IO dealing has been helpful and efficient do you tip.I do

10 minutes ago, ThaiCitizen said:

When you go to the dentist and the make you smile do you tip? I don't.

When you go to 7//11 and get good service do you tip? I don't.

Well actually I did tip my dentist he does a great job. Just beacuse you have a bee in your bonnet about a little tip box doesn't mean to say we all have to be the same. You say your going for Thai citizenship well my advise would be to chill out beacuse there are many worse things to hit you than a bloody tip box.

Ps I also tip my local shopkeeper beacuse I can and I want to.

7 hours ago, al007 said:

Please, give them a break

You can quietly ignore it, a box is very different from demanding money

Those of us with any brains who have been here any time at all know how it all works here

And yes I do oil the hinges on my front gates, they work better that way, and also do not squeak, the cost is not lifestyle threatening

Khon Kaen also has a tip box, and thats very ok by me

Personally I would send the moaners and groaners home, it would be a better place without them, and the overall quality of Thai Visa would also improve

Did you tip civil servants in your home country?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThaiCitizen said:

When you go to the dentist and the make you smile do you tip? I don't.

When you go to 7//11 and get good service do you tip? I don't.

Or flight attendants? Or ticket inspectors? Or train drivers?

• Like 2

Are you sure it was a tip box? I see boxes for donations to charity at my immigration office (Nakhon Sawan). In fact I see them many places, including restaurants, but I don't think I've ever seen a tip box. Was the sign on it in English or other foreign language?

1 hour ago, baboon said:

Or flight attendants? Or ticket inspectors? Or train drivers?

Well I don't fly never seen a ticket inspector here or a train driver so pretty irrelevant really.

In the end it's up to individuals if they want to tip anyone. Everybody has a diffrent outlook on these things me I will tip for good service regardless of office or social standing but that's Mr.  No reason to make a song and dance over tip or not to tip.

1 minute ago, Deepinthailand said:

Well I don't fly never seen a ticket inspector here or a train driver so pretty irrelevant really.

In the end it's up to individuals if they want to tip anyone. Everybody has a diffrent outlook on these things me I will tip for good service regardless of office or social standing but that's Mr.  No reason to make a song and dance over tip or not to tip.

Hey, it's your money to pi$$ against a wall any way you choose. It isn't me making a song and dance...

• Like 2

20 hours ago, possum1931 said:

This is a very good story, and I agree with most of it, if not all, but when you say you vote very strongly in FAVOUR OF THAI IMMIGRATION, do you mean the officers personally? If so, I agree with you, but I do not think us expats, get a good deal here in Thailand, not being allowed to own your house is very unfair, and there are too many unnecessary hoops to jump through. Just my opinion.

Yes primarily I mean the officers personally

My observation, on your comment we do not get a very good deal and can not own property

I would question then why you came here, I do not think the rules have been changed on you

I have to consider the overall package, I live with my Thai wife and "WE' own our property

Taxation for retirees especially non US citizens is extremely advantageous, as I no longer pay UK taxes totally legally

Inheritance  Tax so long as very careful, and well documented as non domiciled NO UK IHT

My standard of living in a warm climate, is so far ahead of what I could afford in the UK, we even have two full time helpers in the house and gardens

No Car tax, No TV license, Cheaper car insurance, No property tax No large winter heating bills, Lower clothing costs, on the other side NO free medical, 

Its a package may I suggest, and even then the personalities in immigration, do not write the rules, they only implement them

My twopence worth, AND YES I AM VERY HAPPY HERE, nearly ten years and so far so good, (despite hospitals missing signs of TWO different cancers for a couple of years)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, al007 said:

My observation, on your comment we do not get a very good deal and can not own property

I would question then why you came here, I do not think the rules have been changed on you

I have to consider the overall package, I live with my Thai wife and "WE' own our property

Taxation for retirees especially non US citizens is extremely advantageous, as I no longer pay UK taxes totally legally

Inheritance  Tax so long as very careful, and well documented as non domiciled NO UK IHT

My standard of living in a warm climate, is so far ahead of what I could afford in the UK, we even have two full time helpers in the house and gardens

No Car tax, No TV license, Cheaper car insurance, No property tax No large winter heating bills, Lower clothing costs, on the other side NO free medical, 

Its a package may I suggest, and even then the personalities in immigration, do not write the rules, they only implement them

My twopence worth, AND YES I AM VERY HAPPY HERE, nearly ten years and so far so good, (despite hospitals missing signs of TWO different cancers for a couple of years)

Very well said again, I came here because the good far outweighs the bad, like you I come from the UK, the only two things that really upset me here, is the very poor mentality of most, I emphasis most,Thais when they get behind the steering wheel of a vehicle, or ride a motorbike, and of course, the treatment of expats by Thai immigration, not the officers, whoever makes the rules, far too much unnecessary hoop jumping to go through, ie 90 day reports, and risking our lives on unnecessary border runs just to get stamped out, and then stamped back in again from a neighbouring country.

4 hours ago, al007 said:

What do you mean no car tax - what is that disc I have to pay for every year then?

• Like 1

This is a wonderful initiative that should be commended instead of criticised. A little bit of honesty creeping into government services is no bad thing. I think the authorities should consider this sort of openness, a frank display of what government services are all about.  Similar developments at police stations and corner boxes, land department offices etc could be decorated up like unabashed altars. Donation receipts could be attached to the "wait for your number to be called" tickets. A sort of "Pride in Thai Industry" promo campaign.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, al007 said:

Strange. I pay 5000B car tax here every year, and property taxes when selling/buying are much higher here than in the UK. It's true that there are no local yearly property taxes but that's because there are no local services either. I also buy my clothing in the UK because it's cheaper and much better quality than here.
I used to have a cleaner and gardener back in Europe but one of the reasons for moving here was to downsize and stop needing staff.

However, none of that is relevant to tipping government officials. I dont do that here and I dont do that anywhere. In fact in many countries it would be a criminal act. I may leave small change for restaurant staff, or round up my car wash bill to the nearest whole number, but I hardly ever give folding money as tips to anyone here. They simply dont deserve it. I dont find the grasping nature of many people here at all attractive.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ThaiCitizen said:

So someone has put it on twitter big result eh. Stand by for immigration crackdown people. Big ho ha over nothing if you don't want to tip immigration don't.  But why try to blow a little tip box out of all proportion. Have you considered it might be there for the checkers and helpers at immigration not the officers themselfs?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

So someone has put it on twitter big result eh. Stand by for immigration crackdown people. Big ho ha over nothing if you don't want to tip immigration don't.  But why try to blow a little tip box out of all proportion. Have you considered it might be there for the checkers and helpers at immigration not the officers themselfs?

I am absolutely amazed at what some people do here on TV. I have no idea what immigration office has been mentioned but IMO this will have repercussions across all offices. Trust me, there are issues coming over the next 12-18mths that the vast majority are not going to like regarding particularly the obtaining and extension of Tourist visas without trying to stir it up.
People want it done by the book? It's 100% coming but when it does then you will see the posts about how unfair it is and how it used to be.
People think they are clever doing it. Lets see how clever they are when Immigration responds.