Russia calls NATO deployment in Poland threat to national security

webfact

Russia calls NATO deployment in Poland threat to national security

Robert Hackwill

606x341_354792.jpg

WASHINGTON: -- Moscow has blasted NATO’s pre-positioning of US military hardware in Poland, saying it is a threat to Russian national security, and an agressive step.

At the end of the month the alliance will hold its biggest military exercises in years in Poland, with some 4000 US soldiers taking part. It is just one of a seres of measures Washington is taking to reassure its allies following Russia’s interfering in Ukraine.

“We take these actions as another example of provocative military activities close to the Russian borders in the frameworks of infamous policy of Russian containment. It is obvious the goal of these efforts as well as hasty deployment of heavy military assets in Europe is an attempt of the outgoing Obama’s administration to complicate as much as possible the bilateral relations,” said Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova.

The Dutch are contributing more than 100 vehicles coming by train, but ships have been disembarking armour and APCs from the US and Canada, and German elements are coming by road.

NATO insists planned deployments in eastern Europe are purely defensive.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2017-01-13

4,000 troops in comparison to 330,000 Russian troops near there?  Too funny for them to complain.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/oct/27/military-build-up-along-russias-border-no-cause-for-alarm

The move comes after Russia has been busy deploying hardware of its own. Earlier this month, Moscow said it was stationing nuclear-capable missiles in Kaliningrad, Russia’s Baltic exclave. This week, two Russian warships armed with cruise missiles slipped into the Baltic sea.

In particular, Nato wants to signal to Moscow that it is prepared to defend the embattled Baltic states of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania. In May, Britain will send an 800-strong battalion to Estonia, supported by the French and Danes. By next summer, about 4,000 troops from Nato countries will face off against 330,000 Russian soldiers stationed on Moscow’s western border.

1 hour ago, geriatrickid said:

Poland is a sovereign nation. It was also a country that Russia  betrayed and illegally invaded.

Putin and his dupes can take their  complaints and shove it.

Were the Soviets not involved in defeating the Nazi occupation of Poland?

7 minutes ago, alant said:

Not exactly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_invasion_of_Poland

The Soviet invasion of Poland was a Soviet military operation that started without a formal declaration of war on 17 September 1939. On that morning, 16 days after Nazi Germany invaded Poland from the west, the Soviet Union invaded Poland from the east. The invasion and battle lasted for the following 20 days and ended on 6 October 1939 with the two-way division and annexation of the entire territory of the Second Polish Republic by both Germany and the Soviet Union.[7]The joint German-Soviet invasion of Poland was secretly agreed in the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact, signed on 23 August 1939.[8]

The Soviet campaign of ethnic cleansing began with the wave of arrests and summary executions of officers, policemen and priests.[Note 5][12][13] Over the next year and a half, the Soviet NKVD sent hundreds of thousands of people from eastern Poland to Siberia and other remote parts of the Soviet Union in four major waves of deportation between 1939 and 1941

1 hour ago, alant said:

And then occupied it themselves subjecting it, and the rest of Eastern Europe, to 45 years of oppression and servitude under the Soviet Union via proxy regimes.

Are you a bit simple or what?

Edited by Enoon

3 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

4,000 troops in comparison to 330,000 Russian troops near there?  Too funny for them to complain.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/oct/27/military-build-up-along-russias-border-no-cause-for-alarm

I am amazed at the people who think Poland and Russian share a common border.  They don't.  Ukraine and Belarus, independent nations, lie between Poland and Russia.  In light of Russian incursions into Ukraine, this small contingency force is hardly a threat to Russia proper.

P1-BY370_RUSARM_9U_20160818183924_zpsm4e

5 hours ago, webfact said:

“We take these actions as another example of provocative military activities close to the Russian borders in the frameworks of infamous policy of Russian containment.

I hear that Putin wants to calm the situation by inviting NATO to tea. To that end he has ordered enough polonium for 4,000 troops.

Drink hearty fellows.

4 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Stalin was only too keen to carve Poland up with Hitler. Many forget that the Russians invaded from the East when the Germans invaded from the West. It was the Russian NKVD that carried out the massacre of 10k + Polish Army officers and leaders and then forged documents to try and blame the Germans. Poland never got back parts the Russians stole and had to endure communist USSR domination for decades after WW11.

So, who should be worried?

3 hours ago, alant said:

Poland was invaded by Stalin's USSR at the same time Hitler's Germany invaded. They had a pact. But Hitler later broke that pact and invaded Russia. Russia then joined the allies. The Red Army liberated Poland and then occupied it insisting a communist government was put in place. They also kept much of the land they'd stolen from the original invasion and effectively moved Poland westwards.

The Soviets carried out many war crimes against the Polish people  

The dangerous game of brinkmanship being played by the superpowers has brought us closer to midnight on the Doomsday Clock than we were even during the height of the cold war.

With enough nuclear war heads on each side to destroy the world many times over, somebody has to step back call a halt to the arms race and strive for the total abolition of all nuclear weapons.

As Gandhi once remarked, wars should be fought in the mind, not with bodies and bombs. We need a new Gandhi, a militant pacifist (if that makes sense) with the vision and determination to save our species from those seemingly bent upon destroying the planet for no better reason than to indulge their bloated egos.

Hands up all those who think Donald Trump is the man for the job.

27 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

The dangerous game of brinkmanship being played by the superpowers has brought us closer to midnight on the Doomsday Clock than we were even during the height of the cold war.

With enough nuclear war heads on each side to destroy the world many times over, somebody has to step back call a halt to the arms race and strive for the total abolition of all nuclear weapons.

As Gandhi once remarked, wars should be fought in the mind, not with bodies and bombs. We need a new Gandhi, a militant pacifist (if that makes sense) with the vision and determination to save our species from those seemingly bent upon destroying the planet for no better reason than to indulge their bloated egos.

Hands up all those who think Donald Trump is the man for the job.

Trump's approval rating is plummeting.  Fewer and fewer approve of what he's doing.

6 hours ago, alant said:

The Soviets kept their share of Poland under the Molotov Ribbentrop pact. The Russians still hold on to that territory. The Poles were compensated with a huge swathe of eastern Germany. 

What do do they teach in schools these days? Oh, I remember, media studies and needle work ?

3 minutes ago, Grouse said:

The Soviets kept their share of Poland under the Molotov Ribbentrop pact. The Russians still hold on to that territory. The Poles were compensated with a huge swathe of eastern Germany. 

What do do they teach in schools these days? Oh, I remember, media studies and needle work ?

Poland has gone through some really tough times in the past few centuries.  It wasn't good.  I'd guess few schools outside Poland teach much about this. LOL

5 hours ago, Enoon said:

And then occupied it themselves subjecting it, and the rest of Eastern Europe, to 45 years of oppression and servitude under the Soviet Union via proxy regimes.

Are you a bit simple or what?

Realy? How do you justify the statement of "Are you a bit simple or what?"?

I am at a loss that someone would stoop so low as to tag someone as simple because they posed a question. 

Please tell me what would have been your prefered option, Nazi victory, the Soviet Union not being on the same side as the allies?

12 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Yes, and ruled by the USSR. Brutally.

That is the version of times when the Soviets controlled the area I understand it to have been but I add I was not there personally so I have no first hand experience.

Europe was carved up by the allies after the defeat of Germany. Poland (and others) were sold down the river by Roosevelt IMHO. The Soviets kept them under the yoke of Moscow rule for decades largely as a protective barrier against Western incursion in the future. This is understandable from the number of invasions suffered by them and the huge amount of blood spilt by them in WW2 (about 50 x USA and U.K. Losses together)

There is too much history to explain the 20th century here but without this knowledge we are doomed in future....

Poland was invaded by Stalin's USSR at the same time Hitler's Germany invaded. They had a pact. But Hitler later broke that pact and invaded Russia. Russia then joined the allies. The Red Army liberated Poland and then occupied it insisting a communist government was put in place. They also kept much of the land they'd stolen from the original invasion and effectively moved Poland westwards.

The Soviets carried out many war crimes against the Polish people  

Following the evolution of kapitalist western history, in fact, during the Yalta conference of 1945, Hitler should have replaced Stalin on the famous picture.

Hitler didn't break the pact with Stalin. It was Stalin.

But instead, the USA started to provide food and military equipment to the Red Army since 1941 through its lend-lease plan.

e27d8176dd82b69eb0f83cd3d004bca3.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

8 minutes ago, Thorgal said:

Following the evolution of kapitalist western history, in fact, during the Yalta conference of 1945, Hitler should have replaced Stalin on the famous picture.

Hitler didn't break the pact with Stalin. It was Stalin.

But instead, the USA started to provide food and military equipment to the Red Army since 1941 through its lend-lease plan.

e27d8176dd82b69eb0f83cd3d004bca3.jpg

Hitler didn't break the pact with Stalin!!

I must have dreamt operation Barbarossa! Deary me....

I think the Russians have started playing their mind games on Trump now. They want to see if Trump was serious about weakening NATO and seeing if he will say "I will bring our troops out of Poland - things will be different after the 20th". The game of chess has begun and the problem is Trump doesn't know how to play it.

30 minutes ago, Andaman Al said:

I think the Russians have started playing their mind games on Trump now. They want to see if Trump was serious about weakening NATO and seeing if he will say "I will bring our troops out of Poland - things will be different after the 20th". The game of chess has begun and the problem is Trump doesn't know how to play it.

Have the Russians hacked Big Blue yet?

Hitler didn't break the pact with Stalin!!

I must have dreamt operation Barbarossa! Deary me....

Lend-lease plan in which the USA (Allied force) provided food and military material to the USSR was enacted on 11th March 1941.

Operation Barbarossa, German invasion of USSR started actually on 22 June 1941.

The Molotov-Ribbentrop plan was violated by Russia through its invasion/annexation of the Baltic states, Romania, Finland and other states that was not part of the plan.

Moreover, Germany was aware of secret alliance between Russia and USA/UK, read the Allies, almost similar which was agreed during WW1.