Lloyds/Halifax/RBS Bank websites in UK down?

Being unable to log on or even get to the main page as Lloyds have problems they SAY are intermittent. Needing to log on and unable to for 2nd day running I used a free betternet vpn that masquerades as being in Switzerland and was able to log in as normal straight away. A tweet from another Brit in Thailand having the same problems has prompted me to post this in case there are others in the same situation with Lloyds/Halifax/RBS group.

Edited by cliveshep

It isn't a problem confined to logging in from Thailand. The issue exists and has done for 3 days or so with people unable to log in, use cards and receive payments to there accounts in the UK an many other places. There is a major issue in there online systems and its very hit and miss logging in. It was back for most of yesterday but off again now. I have no idea if cards are working in the ATM's here in Thailand as I haven't yet tried but there certainly issues in the UK. Some people are reporting a failure in Direct debits and incoming wage payments.

Just tried again using my betternet VPN - connected again straight away. https://www.betternet.co/  is free and works fine for me - I can't afford to pay for stuff like that. All I want is to log in to my bank account, messaged Lloyds on both Twitter and Facebook and got the response that they cannot offer a time frame for a resolution, meaning they haven't a clue what is going on. Told them to tell the monkeys playing with the knobs and buttons how I managed to connect, wondering if it is an ISP location filter issue?

1 hour ago, NUUM said:

Why do you need VPN for accessing Lloyds/Halifax/RBS online banking from here ? They don't block Thai ip addresses...

Oh really? So I wonder why I can connect easily via a VPN but not via True Internet? I am not the only one either going by responses on Twitter and Facebook to my messages to Lloyds - being unable to access their web-site at orall let alone the login page.

Ordinarily you are probably correct as I never had problems until now, but those of us abroad are having problems so much so that it was picked up by the BBC. Lloyds themselves answered me that they had problems, thought they had sorted them out, then found they had not. They were unable to say how long the problems would persist.

Whether or not one needs a VPN from Thailand is immaterial - that was the only way to connect earlier - ok? Presumable some glitch on Lloyds software was filtering out certain locations incorrectly.