Racism, anger and why dual pricing makes sense to Thai people

snoop1130

55 minutes ago, jaltsc said:

“…understanding why it’s done and remembering that it’s not intended as an insult toward you, personally.

It’s quite normal to have an emotional reaction to dual-pricing. Victims report feeling singled out, rejected, judged, stereotyped or even violated by episodes of dual pricing…The professor noted that it’s not worthwhile to get angry with institutional staff that employ a dual price system. They didn’t create the policy and may not even agree with it.

Ah Yes....The same reasoning and use of the "educated" that was used to justify slavery and apartheid in the past and continues to be used to justify their equivalents in the present fishing industry. Racism is racism, exploitation is exploitation, no matter how one tries to spin it for the sake of the profiteers.

Except this is not racism, Asians also get charged the foreigner rate.  Is it also racism  in your opinion that is the motivation behind Switzerlands and Japans dual pricing offering lower rates for tourists?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fruitman said:

I buy a LOT from Banggood.com so i get everything for a cheaper price than the Thai vendors....i love that. And they even bring it to my house for free, give excellent service and give me birthdaypresents.

What makes you think that site is cheaper than Thai venders? 

2 minutes ago, jaltsc said:

Perhaps you should read the article and not only the responses. The article quoted the source as saying: 

“You see, according to the professor, Asian tourists from outside of Thailand, such as Korean, Japanese or Chinese visitors, are charged the local rate based on their appearance despite the fact that they aren’t Thai and can’t speak a word of Thai.

If you are going to present non referenced opinion, you should state that fact before offering it. 

Its just hearsay, if you have ever been to a tourist attraction where there are Chinese tourists you would know that their claim is entirely false, my wife is often asked to prove she is Thai despite obviously speaking Thai as she is Thai, but she probably does look more like an Indian than most Thai's.

21 minutes ago, Prbkk said:

That's the only shopping site I've seen with a huge range of DIY/home tattoo machines.....only in Thailand!

Banggood.com has much more, use their search function...i even don't know what they all have, that much. 

And for me it's just 3 clicks and my purchases are underway.

It's in Hongkong, not in Thailand...that's why it's such a nice shop. Everything is 2-3 times cheaper than in Thailand and free shipping.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fruitman said:

I buy a LOT from Banggood.com so i get everything for a cheaper price than the Thai vendors....i love that. And they even bring it to my house for free, give excellent service and give me birthdaypresents.

As long as you are happy, but I can't find 1 price there that I cant fine a cheaper option on ebay or even Lazada, when they have smilar stuff.

Edited by bokningar

Just now, bokningar said:

As long as you are happy, but I can't find 1 price there that I cant fine a cheaper option on ebay or even Lazada.

From ebay it won't arrive in Thailand, had that loads of times...but from Banggood it arrives very fast, 8 days or so. It's registered mail, china post directly from mainland china never arrives here...it disappears and than they refund me but i get tired of that.

Lazada thinks we are stupid with those 40-50% discounts all the time, i don't need that. But i never bought from them.

4 minutes ago, The Man Who Sold the World said:

USA: 

I take full advantage of my military discount. 

There are resident vs. non-resident fishing and hunting licenses, resident vs. non-resident theme park (Disney/Great Flags/Dorney Park/Sesame Place) pricing schedules, teachers discounts, first responders discounts, police discounts...

I see no difference at all...

I feel that is a different but an acceptable thing. Local discounts.

Here I think we are talking about local vendors price gouging and the bad feeling that causes.

8 minutes ago, sinbin said:

I went to a national park with my wife and 3 children. Okay I am asked to pay 10x more than a Thai to get in. I understand Thais are racist but the issuer of tickets asked my wife to prove my children's nationality.

Anyone who says Thais aren't racist are Ting Tong. Seriously.

We've already been over this...

Edited by onthesoi