Intellectual Whore

Simbaya

• Replies 798
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bottom line is I treat everyone I meet with the same level of politeness I would expect back.

But if they're up their own ar$es, as a few people on here seem to be, it's not difficult to just ignore them and get on with enjoying yourself.

No need to let someone else's misery drag you down I say.

1 hour ago, fruitman said:

The ones i sometimes meet are lesbians by the look of them, found a tom and have to cook for her every day.

But the OP considers herself intellectual  (like if Thai can't be so) and also thinks all men here are attracted to whores (which is not the case). 

This OP is full of problems and wants attention from us here cause she can't get it from the Thai which she thinks are too un-intellectual for her to speak with.

The problem with this whole forum is that many only stay in lowclass places of Thailand and think that represents the whole country.

There are plenty educated thai as well but you won't find them on the streets, at least you'll have to pass security to meet them, anywhere.

Very true words.

In Thailand to meet the right people we must be prepared to put ourselves about a bit, and just so I`m misunderstood by the women, I don`t mean going to bars or attending drugs, sex and rock and roll raves, although as yet I`ve not been lucky enough to had been invited to a drugs, sex and rock and roll rave. I mean join social groups, go to a school and learn Thai, yoga, keep fit and join specific event and hobby clubs that maybe of interest to them and generally attend groups and events where there is a chance of meeting nice compatible people and there are many of them in Chiang Mai. Only need to peruse facebook there are stacks of them on there to suit all tastes.  But obviously they do have to give the appearance of being warm and approachable otherwise they`ll end up pushing everyone away.

I'm a western male, and I have a Thai wife, and I haven't perceived the OP and subsequent replies as anti-male or anti mixed-relationships. And some of the women posting have explicitly said they don't have anything against mixed relationships here.

Tall Guy John, i appreciate all your comments about moderation but to say that there are not anti-male comments in this thread is simply not accurate, i also think most of the male members who have made comments have been unusually reasonable for TV.

This thread is part of he Chang Mai forum and the longer i stay in CM the more i realise that there are quite a lot of angry people here. In the past 3 weeks living in the centre of CM i have witnessed more aggression and unpleasantness than i did living and working in London for 3 years. I wonder if CM is somehow attracting a number of folk who are angry and negative. It is not a friendly place !

6 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Or, maybe some guys had bad experiences with divorce and child care settlements in their home countries, and thus have a chip on their shoulders for farang women? Well, once again, who made the decisions to enter into marriage and have children with those women?  And who passed the laws in your home countries setting out divorce and child care provisions? Male-dominated legislative bodies did, more than likely.

So, to be fair, let's stop stereotyping entire segments of society here based on people's past life experiences with other people/women in other countries. Give a try to treating and judging people as the individuals they are, and not presuming to label/smear an entire segment of our community whose members, for the most part, you probably don't know and have fairly little direct experience with.

To be fair, it's the farang women who have the '"chip on their shoulders". Most of them take a very dim view of elderly Western men married to Asian ladies half their age. The way the men treat them is merely reactionary.

Who is being fair to who? How to you think a divorced farang lady will feel when she discovers her ex-husband has remarried a pretty young thing and has a new family? There's no way to smooth that over.

Most of the retired expats know exactly what nearly all farang women think of them. It's not a good basis for any friendship.

My ex-girlfriend in Australia was most upset when she discovered I married a lady the same age as her youngest daughter. She got quite nasty actually.:sad: Then there's the weird situation where you're older than your mother and father-in-laws.

These things will never sit well with the females back at home. It is far better to sever ties and understand that they will forever be your enemies. 

30 minutes ago, tropo said:

These things will never sit well with the females back at home. It is far better to sever ties and understand that they will forever be your enemies.

Your post is mostly about what home country farang women may think when men set their sails for Thailand, which isn't even remotely the topic of this thread.

This thread is about expat women living here in Thailand and how they're being treated by expat men here. A very different topic with different dynamics.

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Your post is mostly about what home country farang women may think when men set their sails for Thailand, which isn't even remotely the topic of this thread.

This thread is about expat women living here in Thailand and how they're being treated by expat men here. A very different topic with different dynamics.

Of course it's on topic. Trying to moderate my post is off topic - it's not your job.

How expats feel about farang women is a result of how farang women feel about them - and that carries over to anywhere they may live. 

6 hours ago, cmsally said:

OK "smarty pants" how did you work that one out?

Still not sure if we have worked out the OP's dilemma, but sure beats discussing burgers, pizza and the latest discounts at HomePro.

It has even dragged me out of the "Ladies" section. That is the section where you guys don't have access! Sorry couldn't resist that one .!

My apologies for not knowing which emoticon to use.

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Yes it is but please don't exclude the way expat women are talking about men on this thread. Right from the outset it is not pretty. Why are you ignoring  this obvious fact? All of the women who have openly posted on this thread as women have been hostile with the exception of Nancy L. Maybe they have good reason, there are plenty of guys in CM i would not want to mix with either but that is not the point.

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And how exactly are expat women being treated by expat men? Enlighten us please? As you seem to get the gist of what the OP is ranting on about, because I sure don`t.

1 hour ago, tropo said:

Of course it's on topic. Trying to moderate my post is off topic - it's not your job.

How expats feel about farang women is a result of how farang women feel about them - and that carries over to anywhere they may live. 

I agree it is on topic but as for your second sentence it could be the other way round of course. There have been negative comments both ways on this thread and there is no doubt some guys take a very anti Western woman position. I am possibly guilty of that myself ! Only as a generalisation i stress not to individuals.

24 minutes ago, rogeroc said:

Yes it is but please don't exclude the way expat women are talking about men on this thread. Right from the outset it is not pretty. Why are you ignoring  this obvious fact? All of the women who have openly posted on this thread as women have been hostile with the exception of Nancy L. Maybe they have good reason, there are plenty of guys in CM i would not want to mix with either but that is not the point.

I haven't read through the entire thread, but thanks for the heads up. It could make interesting reading.

3 minutes ago, rogeroc said:

I agree it is on topic but as for your second sentence it could be the other way round of course. There have been negative comments both ways on this thread and there is no doubt some guys take a very anti Western woman position. I am possibly guilty of that myself !

Fair enough -  what came first? The chicken or the egg? Either way, whatever the problems were back at home relate to the problems over here.

20 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

And how exactly are expat women being treated by expat men? Enlighten us please? As you seem to get the gist of what the OP is ranting on about, because I sure don`t.

I don't think any of us can ignore the fact that there is a strong (generalised) anti Western women feeling amongst a lot of guys living in CM and (in my opinion) there will be good reason for that. In some ways it is no different from certain Nationalities having negative traits, Brits are thugs, Americans are brash etc. There is actually a lot of truth behind theses generalisations but at the end of the day everyone is an individual and should be treated as such. However i cannot see why any guy not being intellectually stimulated by a Thai wife would not simply do all that intellectual stuff wth his male companions, why would he seek a female for that ?   Also there are also a lot of Thai ladies out there (not excluding the bar girls) who you can really enjoy talking to for an evening, even if not about Brexit

Is this how simbaya perceives herself

An intellectual is a person who engages in critical thinking, research, and reflection about the reality of society, and proposes solutions for the normative problems of society, and thus he or she gains authority as a public intellectual.[1][2] Coming from the world of culture, either as a creator or as a mediator, the intellectual participates in politics, either to defend a concrete proposition or to denounce an injustice, usually by producing or by extending an ideology, and by defending a system of values.[3]

You know guys, this isn't such a bad place for older western women -- if she has given up on the idea of finding romance.  You may talk about it being "male dominated", but I know dozens of women here on their own, enjoying life.  Thailand is not as male-dominated as you think.  The life-style in the city is good for a woman on her own -- excellent medical care, shopping, nail and hair salons, spas, dressmakers, restaurants and coffee shops abound. Thai people treat older women with respect.  And despite, the OPs concern about being used only for her intellect, many women I know, go out in mixed male/female groups for dinner.  It's fairly easy to get around without a car and safe enough that you can take in a late movie and walk home without fear of being bothered.  

My email list for the expats ladies lunches has nearly 300 names -- sure some come here seasonally and we rarely have more than 50 at any gathering, but it gives you an idea of the numbers of western women over age 50 who are here, retired and have time to do this sort of thing.

And, amazingly a few do find romance!  Usually with sensible western men who lost their first wives to death and appreciate what it takes for a good relationship.  And every so often, one of our number will develop a relationship with a special Thai man (no not a boy toy!) and enjoy travel and outings with him.

4 hours ago, rogeroc said:

All of the women who have openly posted on this thread as women have been hostile with the exception of Nancy L. 

Not true, for a guy making so many posts here, you apparently have not read the thread.  Trash talk.

7 hours ago, tropo said:

That makes no sense.  Also to treat someone as an enemy gives them far too much credit and respect, while lowering yourself in the process.

People who would be hostile to your relationship are small minded bigots and aren't even worthy of your contempt.   Some men (and Thai women) bother to rub it in a little with some smug display of affection but even that I think shows a level of insecurity or self consciousness.  

Plus more often than not a (much) younger woman is actually their daughter or a relative, co-worker, visa agent, etc., making Western female hate even more misguided and misdirected, that disrespects and abuses the Thai woman/girl as much as it does you if not more.

When they go low, you go high.    An enemy is a person you are aware of, and in a sense have consideration for, they affect your actions.  Why show that much care?

Ain't nobody got time for that.

12 hours ago, NancyL said:

Love the vote of confidence, Gonzo.  So, what's your opinion?  Does your missus get upset if you engage in a little banter with an old white broiler?  

No, there is no problem with old white broilers, the problem would be with young

spring chickens

12 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

If there's going to be any value here (not that everyone participating expects any value to result), it's going to be because men and women here can somehow manage to talk WITH each other vs. talking AT or DOWN to others.

There are a lot of seemingly hard-core anti-female posters here, illustrating one of the points made by the OP.  But as yet, not ONE of them has managed to answer or respond to my call for all of us to treat and judge each other as individuals, and stop trying to unfairly paint people and segments with the broad brush of their own personal history.

I've been saying that the generalisations are the problem.  Everyone is an individual and if discussion ignores that fact, then the whole conversation spirals downwards very quickly

6 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

My apologies for not knowing which emoticon to use.

Unfortunately the sarcasm emoticon is clearly lacking, something I need frequently !

Just found this though, it could help keep me out of trouble!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQZiw6hyO6vQi2YYwilz7t

Now I just have to wait for someone to take it seriously, maybe on the count of 10.

Going back to the OP when it comes to intellectual debate and how it is projected. There is often a fine line  between intellectual and pretentious. If that division is not kept in check then the outcome can be not quite as it should have been.

Lady, you do have a problem!

What is it, that you don't like your fellow ex-patriates talking and be nice to you?

Had a bad experience in your home country?

You have to see the positive side of your fellow human beings.

Have a nice day.

Archived