Thais skipping the line

Destiny1990

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, joeyg said:

Must say, been living here about 2 years, haven't experienced that phenomenon.  Maybe I'm keeping a good distance?  :goof:

Yes i see no russians skipping the lines but usually i see russians holding up the line infront of me due to no language skills and so then i try to skip infront of them just like the locals would like to do with me.??

30 minutes ago, Dipterocarp said:

Chinee are worse.

Sometimes it is just old people any Nationality being oblivious.

Yes this happens a lot in chinatown when one of those guys with a scooter comes in the shop...guess they are deliveryboys or so.

It also happened that i order, wait and suddenly the vendor goes on the phone for a long time...thank you byebye.

Happens here in the sandpit too.

I ordered several dishes at a local restaurant and you can see the kitchen, so I saw them start cooking them. In came an Arab gentlemen and his typical large family who ordered enough food to feed the 5,000, at which point they dropped everything and started cooking his order instead.

After five minutes, I could see they were not making any attempt at finishing my order, so I told them I wasn't prepared to wait if they were going to serve people who came in after me, and started walking out.

Amazingly they expected me to pay for the bits they'd already cooked.

Unamazingly, I told them to f--- off.

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

Sorry i do not agree. In general they are not rude at all.i noticed most Thais  do not like upset others much but yes there is a small percentage with low moral and low attitude.and i just encountered one in the fruitshop then last week i encountered an aggresive crazzy farang in the condo elevator.

Another angle, how many western people (especially the 18 - 30 age group) have you encountered / noticed who have no consideration for anybody, anywhere? 

1 minute ago, scorecard said:

Another angle, how many western people (especially the 18 - 30 age group) have you encountered / noticed who have no consideration for anybody, anywhere? 

Yep.  This is the millennial generation.  I hate to generalize but I think it's mostly true.  I think the upcoming generation will be worse.  Absolutely no respect.  Of course there are exceptions.  In general though the "fabric" of society is "frayed" and unfortunately I think coming apart.

its not just in shops and markets either . i remember one evening ,going into town in a red bht bus with 2 other thai girls i didnt know . about half way there the driver stops and kicks us all out just so he can cramb in 12 chinese tourists . 

all 3 of us were gob smacked . since we were all going in the same direction i offered to shout them a tuk tuk ride the rest of the way . 

it turned into one of the most awsome nights iv ever had in LOS. :biggrin:

Edited by sirmud63

2 hours ago, Tagaa said:

Actually, Thai's are just rude and have no manners. There really is no excuse.

Chinese are worse & the Koreans may be the rudest people on the planet

I worked in PRChina for many years and I explained it this way: Whatever there is in China, there is not enough to go around so, if you are polite and wait in line for your turn, by the time it is your turn there won't be anything left and you will have to go home to your family empty-handed.

Maybe from that experience I can kinda tell in Thailand when someone is about to cut in line and I often can block them before they do or else yell at them in Thai : So what's your big hurry??

2 hours ago, fruitman said:

Yes happened to me several times. I just say tank you and walk away to never come back.

Another way, politely say, sometimes a little loud, 'mee chong khrap' loosily meaning 'there's a queue  or line'.

A couple of times I've had Thai folks in the line quietly say 'thank you' either in Thai or English.

Sometimes the queue jumper ignores it, sometime flee. 

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Another way, politely say, sometimes a little loud, 'mee chong khrap' loosily meaning 'there's a queue  or line'.

A couple of times I've had Thai folks in the line quietly say 'thank you' either in Thai or English.

Sometimes the queue jumper ignores it, sometime flee. 

It's one of the occasions where the farang can never win.If one mildly submits to somebody shoving in there's regret at being such a wuss.If one bangs the table (metaphorically) to assert one's rights, one instantly conforms to the stereotype of the ugly boorish farang.On the whole I adopt the former stance sometimes with an slightly exaggerated politeness - which goes over everybody's head I suspect.But it's not a big deal and it doesn't happen that often, so why worry? As to Thais' general politeness I rate it very highly.

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

It's more complicated than that. Thais may jump queues on other Thais but probably less so if they perceive that status of the Thai ahead of them to be higher than them. That's what I'm getting at. Foreigners ... low status. Can abuse without consequence. 

Bingo. No Thai pulls that crap when I am well dressed and groomed. I does happen if I am in my shorts and a tshirt at a 7-11 in a touristy zone but it is usually Russian, Indian, Middle Easterners or Chinese people doing it. Suprisingly enough, even the most vile of lager louts amd yobs from Australia and the EU will hold a door for me or mind the queue.  Thai kids will often cut into line oblivious to what they are doing. They come in packs and live in the clouds.

Sometimes I get it at the airport by the Thais, but then I look at them. They are bottom dwellers, and really can't help themselves. Nothing one can say, because they  won't comprehend that they are impolite.

Had this happen to me lots of times, but it's happened to me less in the part of the country south of Hua Hin.  Spent a bit of time Hat Yai, can't recall any such incidents there, but maybe I just can't recall -- as JT said above don't let them get to you.  Probably my worst such incidents with this "farang is served last" mentality have been in Udon Thani.

Over the years, queue jumping has gotten better.   Thais are by nature quite polite and foreigners, by nature, have a greater respect for personal space.  This is a bad combination because that little extra space seems to scream, 'please stand here, please stand here' to others.  

Years ago, I would go to a local grocery store for my breakfast each Saturday and Sunday morning before going to a part time job.   It was early enough that the store was not at all busy, but it was routine for people to walk up to the cashier and ask for things, usually it was cigarettes, which were behind the counter.   They didn't cut in line, but were on the outside of the counter.   The cashier would invariably stop and take care of their requests.   Since at that time of the morning there were quite a few of these interruptions, I started leaving my stuff on the little conveyor belt and walking away.   After a few weeks of this happening, they started at least asking them to wait.  

As annoying as it is, there are places and groups that are a lot worse than the Thais.  

15 hours ago, joeyg said:

I pretty much ignore it these days.  Or when someone cuts the line I smile, gesture them to go ahead of me and say mai mi pen ha.  If it bothers you here your head would explode waiting in lines in India.

Once I was in line behind two elderly woman.

This young guy comes up and cuts in front of this old lady elbowing his away from the counter.  I grabbed him by the back of his shirt pulled him back very hard and he fell on his butt on the ground.

I pointed to the counter and said that's not your spot.  Then pointed to him on the ground and said that's your spot.  He stood up yelling and pointing at me saying he was going to call the police.

I said good bring a few.  I'll give them a 1000 rupees each and we'll all kick the shit out of you.  He rushed off still yelling.  The nice old ladies just thanked me.

I wouldn't recommend trying that in Thailand...

dde01a7a92aa19b4972b4fb097b332686e4ba1f0771b47994b0f28c71f175383.jpg

20 hours ago, Tagaa said:

The appropriate response is :

Da bawt, mai (are you blind)

Ya sang queue see! (Don't <deleted> jump the line!!!)

Works every time.

I prefer

Phor mae mai dai son manrayat ror, ror queue see

Your parents didn't teach you manners? Get in line!

I find most young people's instincts are to apologise and make it look like an accident. 

54 minutes ago, wprime said:

I find most young people's instincts are to apologise and make it look like an accident. 

I doubt it has anything to do with age.

It is the Thai way...appearance over substance.   It's how they live day to day. It's how the manage/govern their country.