Aspirin

thescot

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

Generally you can find the low dose for arthritis, etc. But for a headache (500 mg) they don't seem to take them here. In fact, they seem to think they are 'bad' in some way. No idea why.

Internal bleeding seems to be a prime reason that they discourage use.  

I've been told by various pharmacies around pattaya that the factory making aspirin has closed and that it should be available again early this (2017) year when the new factory opens it seems like a ridiculous excuse but T.I.T

7 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Did you try Fascinos?

FYI, there are now multiple Fascino's located throughout Pattaya.  Off the top of my head, in addition to the big one on Pattaya Nua, there's one in front of Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital, one on Pattaya Klang and one on Pattaya Tai.  At the smaller ones, if they don't have what you're looking for  ask them if they can get it from the main store on Pattaya Nua.

9 hours ago, johng said:

I've been told by various pharmacies around pattaya that the factory making aspirin has closed and that it should be available again early this (2017) year when the new factory opens it seems like a ridiculous excuse but T.I.T

Same here around Asoke in BKK.  Boots (3 of them) and a couple of the other local pharmacies are saying they may have stock sometime in 2017.

I gave up looking for aspirin in Pattaya years ago as it always seems to be out of stock or way overpriced.

I now buy 4 packs of 100 80g tablets every year in the UK for about 50B per pack from any supermarket as part of my yearly shopping trip. I take my chances with Thai customs when returning with them.

16 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Generally you can find the low dose for arthritis, etc. But for a headache (500 mg) they don't seem to take them here. In fact, they seem to think they are 'bad' in some way. No idea why.

A physician friend here says he sees a much higher prevalence of stomach ulcer problems in Thailand then he has seen anywhere else.  That may have something to do with limiting aspirin as they are known for aggravating stomach issues.  

Thais seem to gulp down Paracetamol like they were M&M's. Are they any less harmful to the stomach? I know they can be tough on the liver and kidneys. 

Edited by dddave

1 hour ago, dddave said:

A physician friend here says he sees a much higher prevalence of stomach ulcer problems in Thailand then he has seen anywhere else.  

I'm no doctor, but my theory is that any food that burns my eyes, throat and nose just walking past someone cooking it in the great out of doors can't do good things to my stomach lining.

19 hours ago, johng said:

There are many, many brands of aspirin so not made in just one factory.

There are many, many brands of aspirin so not made in just one factory.

Yes I'm sure there are but for some unfathomable reason the pharmacies in Pattaya insist that no aspirin is available, they dont offer any alternatives except paracetamol
is very strange like its become some sort of class A drug !

My local upcountry pharmacist who does stock aspirin offered this explanation why some pharmacies don't stock aspirin.

They suggested its a low turnover item and generally not worth holding in stock as most people using aspirin are supplied it during visits to their doctor or hospital.

The Fascino next to BPH did not have any when i tried with other pharmacy's nearby. My wife went the following day to the large Fascino and managed to get 81mg Aspilets.
I was having chest pains which moved to my shoulder and down one arm and also some fatigue which pointed me to think it could be Angina related. 
Today i went to BPH (normally do all my medical stuff at Bumrungrad) to see a Cardiologist. Got the bloods checked, chest X-ray, EKG stress test and all in perfect order. After discussion it's possible my discomfort is caused by stress (has been plenty the last 10 days) and i have been given some meds for 1 week and will return to check with doc next week.

Thanks for the replies.

On 1/19/2017 at 6:03 PM, thescot said:

The Fascino next to BPH did not have any when i tried with other pharmacy's nearby. My wife went the following day to the large Fascino and managed to get 81mg Aspilets.
I was having chest pains which moved to my shoulder and down one arm and also some fatigue which pointed me to think it could be Angina related. 
Today i went to BPH (normally do all my medical stuff at Bumrungrad) to see a Cardiologist. Got the bloods checked, chest X-ray, EKG stress test and all in perfect order. After discussion it's possible my discomfort is caused by stress (has been plenty the last 10 days) and i have been given some meds for 1 week and will return to check with doc next week.

Thanks for the replies.

Good luck with your diagnosis and treatment.  Now that you mention it, that Fascino always seemed out of the meds I use for my diabetes. I prefer to use the big pharmacy on North Pattaya, they always have everything or can get it quickly. 

On 1/19/2017 at 6:03 PM, thescot said:

Be careful with that.  I did the same on an annual basis, and had EKG and blood work done quarterly in BKK- for 3 years.  When I finally did insist on the next step (imaging of some sort- the chronology is a blur), they found out one of my arteries was completely blocked and another 95%.  Too far gone for the doc to get the stents in (and he tried), so it was a triple bypass for me.  If it's not a financial hardship for you, I'd suggest going on to imaging- just for safety.

Today I asked at the Watsons in Tukcom who said they don't sell pharmaceuticals any more ? ? but had and would sell paracetamol.
At the small fascino further along South Pattaya road the attendant ask what I wanted asprin for when I said headache
she immediately said "no have for headache" and offered paracetamol and ibuprofen.
I asked dont you sell asprin anymore and she replied "out of stock"
I haven't been to the big fascino on north pattaya road (its completely out of my way to go there) but to be honest I think I would get the same answer there too.
Maybe i have to pretend to them that I dont want it for head aches but for a heart condition instead ? ?

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Be careful with that.  I did the same on an annual basis, and had EKG and blood work done quarterly in BKK- for 3 years.  When I finally did insist on the next step (imaging of some sort- the chronology is a blur), they found out one of my arteries was completely blocked and another 95%.  Too far gone for the doc to get the stents in (and he tried), so it was a triple bypass for me.  If it's not a financial hardship for you, I'd suggest going on to imaging- just for safety.

Actually believe the normal progression is EKG and if anything suspicious there go to stress test and if that shows issues then to scan and then to coronary angiogram and then to angioplasty and maybe stents.   At least that was my progression (we skipped scan as stress was so positive cardiologist felt it was waste of time and money).  For me all occurred within about 5 hours.

On 1/14/2017 at 9:58 PM, johng said:

Bayer hasn't, they are still available.

13 minutes ago, uptheos said:

Not around Asoke in BKK.  If someone knows differently, I'd love to hear about it.  But I've been into a least a dozen pharmacies looking for any 325 or 500 mg aspirin and they all said, "maybe in 2017".  I've been limited to taking a bunch of the 82 mg tablets, but even they're hit and miss- not to mention expensive by the dozen, which as a typical headache dosage.

1 minute ago, impulse said:

Not around Asoke in BKK.  If someone knows differently, I'd love to hear about it.  But I've been into a least a dozen pharmacies looking for any 325 or 500 mg aspirin and they all said, "maybe in 2017".  I've been limited to taking a bunch of the 82 mg tablets, but even they're hit and miss- not to mention expensive by the dozen, which as a typical headache dosage.

Tell them it is 2017

well can you please buy a very big batch and send it to Pattaya because its not available in any of the Boots,Watsons,Fashino or independent chemist shops here
that ive asked and I asked quite a few but by no means all of them.

where/why are they hiding the asprin ?

1 minute ago, uptheos said:

Very strange if they really are unavailable there.

Astounding to me.  In fact, I have referred to it (in another thread) as criminally stupid since popping an aspirin is the first thing people should do if they think they're having a heart attack or some types of stroke.  To not have any on the shelf?

But I keep tuned in to TVF here in case anyone finds a pocket of them somewhere, or sees that they're back on the shelf.  So post back if you know of any.  Please.

On 1/21/2017 at 1:11 PM, johng said:

I haven't been to the big fascino on north pattaya road (its completely out of my way to go there) but to be honest I think I would get the same answer there too.... 

Bought it there last week, no problem, no questions. Whoops, one question, how many bottles did I want?