Drunk British tourist drowns on Koh Samet

webfact

Drunk British tourist drowns on Koh Samet

KS.JPEG

Picture: Manager Online

KOH SAMET: -- A British tourist has drowned after he got drunk and went for a swim with at a beach on Koh Samet on Sunday.

The incident happened at Putsa Bay, where the 60 year old had been seen drinking with friends.

Manager reports the man [name withheld] had decided to go for a swim alone but disappeared from view after 10 minutes.

His friends raised the alarm and the man was pulled from the water by swimmers just after 2pm on Sunday.

The man was rushed to Rayong Hospital but was pronounced dead on arrival.

Police said they are confident that the alcohol in his body was the reason he drowned.

Source: Manager Online

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-01-16

Stupid behaviour. Alcohol, sun and swimming is a bad combination. Another, idiot from the UK dies before his time. RIP. Sorry for his family. And by the way I'm from England. Just sad to see these stories nearly every week. When these guys get to Thailand all their reasoning seems to evaporate. 

1 hour ago, Ratcher said:

Stupid behaviour. Alcohol, sun and swimming is a bad combination. Another, idiot from the UK dies before his time. RIP. Sorry for his family. And by the way I'm from England. Just sad to see these stories nearly every week. When these guys get to Thailand all their reasoning seems to evaporate. 

I wonder who the idiot(s) is/are here ... Another thing that seems to evaporate quickly among Westerners living in Thailand, especially those who post on this Forum, is a minimum sense of respect, compassion, decency, and basic reserve (or should I say intelligence) when reacting to news articles, which are not exactly known for painting full and objective pictures of any situation.

In particular, when a person dies in circumstances such as this, the first few posts are almost systematically insulting to the deceased. Frankly, animals have more respect in the face of death.

Do you guys feel that you are above doing stupid things yourself ? Do you always pass judgement based on hearsay and/or incomplete information ? Or have you simply lost your basic sense of humanity ?

SHAME on you, on trogers, soalbundy and the rest of that sad, angry and bitter team.

Edited by Yann55

^Including you? Most likely. -Poor bloke was on holiday enjoying himself. He had a few drinks, so what. -No one ever done that here.?

Usual rubbish Thai reporting in OP, with the always-trustworthy BiB "confident" that alcohol "was the reason" he drowned. -Fair enough then, eh?

Cue the self-righteous moral indignation brigade.

Edited by huangnon

It was very hot yesterday afternoon and the sea was quite calm and the beach is on the sheltered side of Koh Samet so maybe the guy had a heart attack or stroke if he hadn't been drinking enough water. As someone posted most of the beaches on Samet are good for children with their gentle slopes.

Edited by sandrabbit

40 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

It is often remarked on here that there is little concern for human life here in Thailand. I would like to disagree.....it is obvious that some Farangs have even  less concern for human life. I have not as yet heard Thai people speak of the dead the way many Farangs like to use these examples as a means of letting the rest of us know how witty they thing they are by making fun of the death of a person in abnormal circumstances.

May the deceased RIP and condolences to his family, friends and loved ones.

Not much point in having lots of posts saying 'oh how awful'. I don't know him, i don't know what sort of person he was, hundreds of thousands of people die each day so he wasn't alone. Empathy i reserve for someone i know or something i witness. He could have died from a heart attack due to sunstroke which was made worse by drinking alcohol in the sun,who knows (who cares) 'Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the mid-day sun' seems they knew about this years ago.

The pattern continues. Thai official sources (here the police) rush to shift any blame for any tourist death on to the victim's alleged irresponsible behaviour even before any investigation, medical or otherwise has taken place. Most accidents are a combination of factors.

Why not get quotes from the friends as to how inebriated or not the deceased was.

2 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

The pattern continues. Thai official sources (here the police) rush to shift any blame for any tourist death on to the victim's alleged irresponsible behaviour even before any investigation, medical or otherwise has taken place. Most accidents are a combination of factors.

Why not get quotes from the friends as to how inebriated or not the deceased was.

and why should we even bother?

35 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

My wife said that farangs leave their brains at the airport. Sadly, most of them do. RIP.

I think that generalization can be applied to most holiday makers where ever they go. People go on holiday to relax, have fun, a change of the boring routine and escapism from all the serious things they normally have to do. A consequence of that is people lower their inhibitions - perhaps eat and drink more, wear holiday clothes they'd never wear in public else where, enter holiday romances etc etc etc 

This makes them more prone to accidents, involving the sea, sun, alcohol, and doing activities they don't normally do, such wind surfing, para gliding, jet ski-ing or  sliding down wire lines through tree tops. Also makes them easier prey for the crooks - muggers, robbers, snatch thieves and con artists because their guards are down.

Tragic when this happens and is fatal but one of the perils of holidays.

I have personal experience of dangerous rip currents in this area especially when the sea is rough. Last April  Silver Sands staff told my Thai lady that there had been several (apparently unreported) recent drownings in their little Ao Pai cove. Pudsa is just around the small headland.

Search thaivisa.com for previous thread on this.

Edited by SunsetT

I think posters should refrain from calling him 'stupid' until the blood levels are in. It could have been a couple beers but many of you rush to condemn this guy when it could have been a heart attack and don't tell me you trust the Police report that they are 'confident;' when no data is available as far as we know. 

RiP

45 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Non as blind as them who don't want to see; none as deaf as them who don't want to hear.

Then again bigots usually have subliminally low IQ's so probably wouldn't be able to comprehend something outside their own stereo type bigotry. So no, unlikely you ever will.

And the reason when I hear the conversations begin I 

head the other way.....Low class at best!!

2 hours ago, dotpoom said:

It is often remarked on here that there is little concern for human life here in Thailand. I would like to disagree.....it is obvious that some Farangs have even  less concern for human life. I have not as yet heard Thai people speak of the dead the way many Farangs like to use these examples as a means of letting the rest of us know how witty they thing they are by making fun of the death of a person in abnormal circumstances.

May the deceased RIP and condolences to his family, friends and loved ones.

You are correct .you are going to get a high percentage of idiotic responses because most expats are deadbeats and were losers in their own country and couldn't be succesful there either in their work or relationships . . 

They  come to Thailand blaming their country or the ex  and think they are king .

The  only reason they do ok is they are paying  thru their arse for everything including the wife . 

Edited by Winniej

1 hour ago, SunsetT said:

I have personal experience of dangerous rip currents in this area especially when the sea is rough. Last April  Silver Sands staff told my Thai lady that there had been several (apparently unreported) recent drownings in their little Ao Pai cove. Pudsa is just around the small headland.

Search thaivisa.com for previous thread on this.

I had a similar experience 5 years ago on Phuket, Karon beach.

We were sober and went into the sea. Pure paradise, well until a huge, totally unexpected wave hit me from behind.

I was bowled over and over several times, whilst being swept along in the torrent.

I was almost at the end of my endurance when I managed to get a footing, another few seconds and you would have read about my tragic death!

I had a badly grazed knee and elbow, lost quite a bit of skin too.

My farang friend was standing next to me as it happened and he said there was nothing he could do to help - it all happened too fast.

A horrible experience.

RIP and my sincere condolences to his family and friends.

BTW, thanks to the Mods for stepping in and removing some of the more distasteful/disgraceful posts.