Handicapped burger seller says his "life has collapsed" after media attention

webfact

Handicapped burger seller says his "life has collapsed" after media attention

2a.jpg

Picture: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- The westerner with no legs who created a sensation on social media after being featured selling burgers in Bangkok says his life is being ruined.

Now the former airline pilot has decided to shut down his stall in Nimit Mai Road, Bangkok.

Gareth Payne said on his No Name Burger Facebook fan page that he had been "verbally attacked". He cited other farangs "on some site" as being responsible. He said that people were "talking so bad" about him and he just wanted to make people happy and be left alone, reports Daily News.

In a heartfelt plea the family man added yesterday evening: "Thank you everyone who has been supportive. But this has gone way too far. People debating my life career and just wanting to talk about me.... both good and bad.

"I have had to shut down. It breaks my heart to see my world collapse like this. I will not be opening again. For a long time. I am so sorry. All the likes, questions and people following. It's just way too much. I only wanted to make people happy. Show that we are all equal. But once again a few nasty people can't see good in my work and want to hurt me. Sadly they don't think of the hurt to my family my friends or my children by talking how they do...... good luck everyone. Sorry you didn't taste my burgers...Gareth. aka Gaz".

Mr Payne lost both his legs after going out jogging and fainting. He fell on a railway track and a train went over him. He said on his page that this happened in the UK.

On the page he referred to himself as a former boxer, athlete and airline pilot.

Earlier in the day a call from a Thaivisa reporter to Mr Payne was unanswered and no return call was forthcoming.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-01-19

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, webfact said:

On the page he referred to himself as a former boxer, athlete and airline pilot.

All the above and he ended up in this situation? I think that bad train has,

for him, left the station long ago...

Also FB is not your friend, and once your story is out there, you're at the

mercy of the media, curse of the times....

Reading about this story yesterday on tv its  clear that he could well be talking about posters here making negative remarks. Sadly this website is far from what it once was and is increasingly attracting some very bitter and angry people.

For what its worth Gaz I salute your spirit and tenacity for doing what any man should do earning the money needed to support your family. Despite having to overcome huge obstacles. Your wife and children should be immensly proud of you and I wish you nothing but the best of luck.

Don't let the bastards get you down. 

There are some people whos lives are so depraved all they can do is be critical of others, we see it daily on these forums - people who generally have nothing good to say about anything or anybody, they are best ignored but unfortunately not everyone can do that, we see it already on this thread

1 hour ago, jonclark said:

Reading about this story yesterday on tv its  clear that he could well be talking about posters here making negative remarks. Sadly this website is far from what it once was and is increasingly attracting some very bitter and angry people.

For what its worth Gaz I salute your spirit and tenacity for doing what any man should do earning the money needed to support your family. Despite having to overcome huge obstacles. Your wife and children should be immensly proud of you and I wish you nothing but the best of luck.

Don't let the bastards get you down. 

well said

16 minutes ago, ThaiCitizen said:

So handicapped people should be able to break the law and get special treatment?

I bet he gets disability money from his home country.

How was he breaking the law ??. The man had Thai Citizenship.

25 minutes ago, smedly said:

There are some people whos lives are so depraved all they can do is be critical of others, we see it daily on these forums - people who generally have nothing good to say about anything or anybody, they are best ignored but unfortunately not everyone can do that, we see it already on this thread

Yes it just goes to show how so many people are weak minded, cruel and have no life of their own.

The best rain is the gentle rain that soaks into the soil and nourishes life. So should our "constructive criticism" of others. It should cause others to grow and not wash away their roots. Sadly we often just outpour our own frustrations onto others, not for their benefit, but it makes us feel powerful.

17 minutes ago, BMW Overlander said:

Most probably he was referring to this site. Some of the worst posters at any forum worldwide reside here.

Loaded with inferiority complex, down and out in private and professional life, shunned in social circles. Losers....

When will TVF institute a LOVE button, like FB?

Gaz..your an exboxer, take the 8 count, get up and keep fighting, brush off the bad comments that some people here write and try to offend, and as the saying goes

Do not argue with idiots. they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

33 minutes ago, Seismic said:

How was he breaking the law ??. The man had Thai Citizenship.

I must have missed that news about him getting Thai citizenship, where was this reported? Not that it's anyone else's business of course. Just interested in seeing where this was written.

a rule of thumb is before you post something - decide whether you would say the same thing to someone in person - this would be a very quiet place I think

Oh and to those that think they are here anonymously take a look to the bottom of this page you will see various links to facebook etc, now go do a bit of research and see if your facebook account is linked to your TVF id - you might be surprised at what you find out

20 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

Not everyone in this world is qualified to have an opinion much less air it... but social media has made it possible for even the biggest <deleted>

to air theirs.

Facebook…the lowest common denominator of humanity….

Facebook…the lowest common denominator of humanity….

Well said!