Thai man with altered police ticket says online: "No wonder everybody hates the police"

webfact

Thai man with altered police ticket says online: "No wonder everybody hates the police"

4a.jpg

Picture: Thairath

BANGKOK: -- A man who was fined for not having his bike registration papers with him said police changed the ticket from 100 baht to 200 and finally demanded 500 baht.

He alleged that an officer said if he had paid one of the lower fees it would have all been sorted out. But because he refused to be the subject of extortion he ended up paying more, claimed Nantapat Udompong posting on Facebook.

However, the police station chief has said that his officers did nothing wrong. It was all done according to the law of the land.

The drama started when Nantapong went to his local 7-11 on his motorcycle for a snack at 4am in the morning. A police patrol went into the store and confronted him about the ownership of the bike, reports Thairath.

He said he did not have any papers. They issued him with a ticket that stated a 100 baht fine.

He said he went to Bangkok Noi police station immediately where the officer in charge said he had to pay 200 baht. Nantapong questioned why this was so and refused to pay.

Nantapong said the officer then walked off saying he should go back to the policeman who issued the ticket. He said he then called the policeman himself and waited for him to come back to the station for some time.

When he did so Nantapong claimed that the officer then demanded 500 baht and changed the ticket before saying: "If you'd paid the two hundred you'd been asked for it would have all been settled".

The Thai language used was rough and abusive, it was claimed.

Posting on Facebook with a picture of the altered ticket he said: "No wonder everyone hates the police when they do stuff like  this".

But the station chief has stepped into the controversy to say that the cops were within their rights. Confirming that the incident happened on Wednesday morning the chief said that the patrol had seen the man going the wrong way down a road, with no helmet and no license plate.

When confronted he had no papers.

The chief said that in total their were six misdemeanors. And 500 baht was a proper fine.

Asked by reporters about the alleged comment regarding the paying of 200 baht when the ticket originally said 100 the chief reiterated that it was all above board.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-01-20

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It has been aparent for some considerable time the the police and unable t9 police themselves. Perhaps a brave future government should remove the power of the police to physically collect fine money. If fined the offender pays the fine to a different legal entity. The police enforce the law but never collect the fine. 

9 minutes ago, jonclark said:

It has been aparent for some considerable time the the police and unable t9 police themselves. Perhaps a brave future government should remove the power of the police to physically collect fine money. If fined the offender pays the fine to a different legal entity. The police enforce the law but never collect the fine. 

Have always thought that their method of writing the ticket and collecting the fine was just an invitation for corruption. There is never a judge to hear evidence from both sides. The police are both judge and jury. And of course they are never wrong. What is needed is a traffic court system. But I really do not think Thailand is ready for that kind of system. 

1 hour ago, 55Jay said:

I don't live in BKK and I don't ride a motorbike, but how does not having registration equate to 6 misdemeanors?   What is the "normal" fine for not having registration?

But the station chief has stepped into the controversy to say that the cops were within their rights. Confirming that the incident happened on Wednesday morning the chief said that the patrol had seen the man going the wrong way down a road, with no helmet and no license plate.

1 hour ago, z42 said:

I think the most surprising thing about this story is that there is no mention of defamation, computer crimes act, or some RTP organ grinder talking about tarnishing the police's image......

Not yet, once Officer Somchai wakes up from his whisky infused hazed that will be discussed at there morning tea money collection meeting

1 hour ago, 55Jay said:

I don't live in BKK and I don't ride a motorbike, but how does not having registration equate to 6 misdemeanors?   What is the "normal" fine for not having registration?

Later in the story a policeman claims there were other transgressions such as not wearing a helmet. These were not cited in the ticket though.

The fine for not carrying a copy of registration papers is anything in a range stipulated by the law. I suspect this is from 200 Baht to 500 Baht. Not 100% sure about that. If I am right, the initial fine was outside the range, the station sergeant spotted it and corrected it, bloke kicked up a fuss so they upped it again to the max.

1 hour ago, jonclark said:

Because we would then have 2 corrupt extorting organisatons?

If the guy did all that then why complain, should have had a helmet and registration papers. The guy was clearly at fault and made a fuzz because of it the fine went up. That is a good thing, they should do that back in my country too. 

2 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Problem reading. "the chief said that the patrol had seen the man going the wrong way down a road, with no helmet and no license plate. "  Only robblok has got it right.

I recall getting pulled once by a Thai cop who demanded 200 baht because I wasn't carrying my driving licence. Stupidly I pulled out a 500 baht note and asked for change. He was really pussed, said he didn't  have any and became furious when I suggested he ask one of the other cops manning the road-block. I stood my ground and eventually got the change. But I was careful toa void taking the same route for the next few weeks. . . 

If the guy did all that then why complain, should have had a helmet and registration papers. The guy was clearly at fault and made a fuzz because of it the fine went up. That is a good thing, they should do that back in my country too. 

What an idiotic thing to say.
If the guy had actually done all those things, then why weren't tickets written for each of them at the time. Also, if it was written at the time, then why would the officer not point this out and double his fine? Why would the ticketing officer need to be called in when it should have been on paper to begin with? Corruption on the street. In the department, and then justified by their superiors. If not corruption, then ineptness in which, that man was forced to pay more.

6 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

What an idiotic thing to say.
If the guy had actually done all those things, then why weren't tickets written for each of them at the time. Also, if it was written at the time, then why would the officer not point this out and double his fine? Why would the ticketing officer need to be called in when it should have been on paper to begin with? Corruption on the street. In the department, and then justified by their superiors. If not corruption, then ineptness in which, that man was forced to pay more.

Why because the police does not always ticket you for everything the can (same back in my country they don't always write it all down to not hurt you too much). However once you start complaining they will treat you different. I see no problem at all here, this guy was breaking the law and got fined. Now if he was innocent or fined for something he had not done i would be the first to complain. If I get caught on my bike for riding on the right lane instead of the most left I don't complain.. i pay up. 

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

If I get caught on my bike for riding on the right lane instead of the most left I don't complain.. i pay up.

I would sure complain..not because of the fine but because of it's suicide to drive on the left lane where all motocy's drive against traffic and cars coming out of driveways won't stop for you.

6 misdemeanours, and 500baht is considered a proper fine!  Time shouild be provided to produce a driving licence and registration book, but riding without a helmet, no number plate and driving the wrong way should each carry a minimum 5,000baht fine in my view. Heavy penalties are the only way to make the ignorant  masses respect the law of the land.

1 hour ago, robblok said:

I totally agree with the principle of being fined for a minor infraction. 

But...is it part of the spirit of 'justice' that police can arbitrarily increase the fine, if the offender complains. That is simply an abuse of power. I am fairly sure that it is not written into the statue books that police can increase fines if people complain.

So whilst I agree with the principle of fines as a form of punishment for minor infractions. It is not a good thing to support a system that gives police free reign to up the fine if the offender takes issue with it. 

Edited by jonclark

4 minutes ago, fruitman said:

I would sure complain..not because of the fine but because of it's suicide to drive on the left lane where all motocy's drive against traffic and cars coming out of driveways won't stop for you.

why do you think i drive on the right and not on the left.. But i know im in the wrong.. so i pay the fines. 

3 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

6 misdemeanours, and 500baht is considered a proper fine!  Time shouild be provided to produce a driving licence and registration book, but riding without a helmet, no number plate and driving the wrong way should each carry a minimum 5,000baht fine in my view. Heavy penalties are the only way to make the ignorant  masses respect the law of the land.

Especially the riding without licenseplate....without a plate it's impossible to track the owner of it. Make that 15.000 baht and they will have a plate soon.

3 minutes ago, jonclark said:

I totally agree with the principle of being fined for a minor infraction. 

But...is it part of the spirit of 'justice' that police can arbitrarily increase the fine, if the offender complains. That is simply an abuse of power. I am fairly sure that it is not written into the statue books that police can increase fines if people complain.

So whilst I agree with the principle of fines as a form of punishment for minor infractions. It is not a good thing to support a system that gives police free reign to up the fine if the offender takes issue with it. 

I disagree.. but that is my opinion, i have seen what a-holes people can be and how they can go ballistic when they get a fine and totally get uncooperative. In that case they deserve what they get. 

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

why do you think i drive on the right and not on the left.. But i know im in the wrong.. so i pay the fines. 

I got stopped on the motocy last month, i didn't drive left he said.

I showed him the row of buses/taxi's all parked on the 2 left lanes and told him i can't drive there if they park on the road.

Pai krab, pai....ok bye bye

3 hours ago, jonclark said:

Problem with this is, if the police can't collect the fines the government will have to pay them a decent wage to compensate for not being able to fend for themselves.

Edited by Maggusoil
spelling