Horse face

BaanOz

Hi,

Just curious where the origins of this Thai slang comes from.

Naa Maa

Slang for someone attracting people to your business.
Apparently in different Thai dialect it means the same.

How did "horse face" come to mean this?

Cheers.

I doubt very much that it means 'horse face'.
'Na' is the front and ma means 'come'. 'Na' also means something favourable to do, describe a person as "na rak" loveable, so why couldn't "na ma" mean 'come in able' or "come first" "leading comers". 'Horse face' ?

At the moment you know that one use is to describe friends placed to attract customers to a restaurant, what the words are one can only guess at.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I can't edit now so. Without appearing too patronising, I hope that I can point out that Thai words have tones and if you don't hear the tones it's difficult. So my guess would be: Two words (nama) assume a context which you give as attracting customers. So rather than describing the customers this could well describe the place. ร้านดูน่ามา shop looks like a 'nice place to come'. Once the meaning is established the customers could be ลูกค้าให้ร้านดูน่ามา Customers make shop 'nama'. Now "na (F)ma " might easily be seen as applying to the customers: ลูกค้าน่ามา customers 'nama'
When asking about the people sitting at the front of the retaurant not eating much, you could be told that they are "nama" .
This is only a guess.

2 hours ago, tgeezer said:

Thanks tgeezer,

Thai wife has called me this, I've asked her about it but doesn't know where this slang comes from. With her perfect English translates it to horse face.

máa is ม้า horse.

Just wondering how this slang came about.

Edited by BaanOz

54 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

I can't edit now so. Without appearing too patronising, I hope that I can point out that Thai words have tones and if you don't hear the tones it's difficult. So my guess would be: Two words (nama) assume a context which you give as attracting customers. So rather than describing the customers this could well describe the place. ร้านดูน่ามา shop looks like a 'nice place to come'. Once the meaning is established the customers could be ลูกค้าให้ร้านดูน่ามา Customers make shop 'nama'. Now "na (F)ma " might easily be seen as applying to the customers: ลูกค้าน่ามา customers 'nama'
When asking about the people sitting at the front of the retaurant not eating much, you could be told that they are "nama" .
This is only a guess.

Nice guess but completely wrong.

The phrase is หน้าม้า which translates literally as horse face. It means a ringer in English, usually somebody pretending to be a genuine customer or member of the public but actually drumming up interest in cahoots with the business owner.

Yeah, it is very widely used and has been for a long time. There is even a Thai story which has been dramatised on TV several times entitled แก้วหน้าม้า. Try to slip it into conversation 3 times over the next week. You could make up a story about your friend starting a business but suffering from a lack of customers. Or ask random businesses if they need a หน้าม้า perhaps in return for free food! This will help you to remember it.

It's even in the dictionary:

ผู้ที่ทําเล่ห์เหลี่ยมเป็นเหมือนคนซื้อหรือคนเล่นการพนัน
เป็นต้น เพื่อเป็นสื่อจูงใจให้คนหลงซื้อหรือหลงเล่นการพนันด้ว
โดยปริยายใช้เรียกคนที่หากินในลักษณะคล้ายคลึงเช่นนั้น.

หน้าม้า A person who adopts a strategy to be the same as a buyer or gambler for example, in order to induce others to join in, expanded to mean someone who makes his living in a similar way.
A ringer is actually an athelete or a horse entered into a competition by fraudulent means. For 'ringer' my dictionary has only bell ~ : .... or dead ~ :same or very similar to sb/sth , เหมือน ค.น./ ส.น. มาก
I suppose of one needed an English word for หน้าม้า Ringer might do, it has the false element to it.
longdo dictionary has หน้าม้า as a "claque" which apparently is a group of people hired to clap at a performance which again has the false element.
I suppose you noticed that Google is full of hairstyles หน้าม้า for women and men! It might well be nothing to do with what a person does anymore.
Not really grammar at all.
edit: I don't need any help to remember it!
I would translate หน้า as "person" as in หน้าไหน the question then หน้าม้า could be the answer.

4 hours ago, tgeezer said:

'Na' is the front and ma means 'come'. 'Na' also means something favourable to do, describe a person as "na rak" loveable, so why couldn't "na ma" mean 'come in able' or "come first" "leading comers". 'Horse face' ?

At the moment you know that one use is to describe friends placed to attract customers to a restaurant, what the words are one can only guess at.

Na is as you said "front" and it is also "face" - - which would be synonymous as the facing or front of a building... but is often used just to mean "face" - - mais hen na narn narn - haven't seen your face in a while... is an expression too...

I might use the term "roper" rather than
"ringer"... 

So does it come from the old story of Nang Kaeow Manee? Did she do something tricky to entice someone. I invite tgeezer to join me and anyone else in translating the below 

เรื่องราวของนางแก้วมณีอดีตนางฟ้าบนสวรรค์ที่ถูกสาปให้มาเกิดเป็นหญิงสาวชาวบ้านที่มีใบหน้าเป็นม้า วันหนึ่งพระปิ่นทองพระโอรสของท้าวภูวดลแห่งเมืองมิถิลาได้ออกมาเล่นว่าวด้านนอกพระราชวัง ว่าวพระปิ่นทองเกิดสายป่านขาดลอยไปตกที่ทุ่งนา นางแก้วมณีเห็นจึง เก็บกลับไปไว้ที่บ้าน เมื่อพระปิ่นทองมาขอว่าวคืนนางแก้วได้ขอให้พระปิ่นทองรับตนเองไปเป็นพระมเหสี ด้วยความอยากได้ว่าวคืนพระปิ่นทองจึงตกปากรับคำไปส่งเดช จนในที่สุดนางแก้วมณีก็ได้เข้าไปอยู่ในวังแต่ก็ต้องถูกกลั่นแกล้งต่าง ๆ นานา โดยท้าวภูวดลให้นางแก้วมณีไปตัดเขาพระสุเมรุ ระหว่างทางก็ได้พระฤๅษีช่วยและพระฤๅษีนี้เองเป็นผู้ที่ถอดหน้าม้าและมอบเรือเหาะกับมีดโต้วิเศษไว้ให้ เมื่อได้เขาพระสุเมรุกลับมาท้าวภูวดลสั่งให้พระปิ่นทองเดินทางไปยังเมืองโรมวิถีเพื่ออภิเษกกับเจ้าหญิงทัศมาลี และพระปิ่นทองยังยื่นคำขาดว่าหากกลับมา นางแก้วมณียังไม่มีลูกกับพระองค์ก็จะให้นำตัวไปประหารเสีย  

นางแก้วมณีจึงนั่งเรือเหาะไปขออาศัยอยู่ที่กระท่อมกับสองตายายในป่าชานเมืองโรมวิถี พร้อมกับถอดรูปม้าออกกลายเป็นหญิงสาวแสนสวยชื่อมณีรัตนา จนในที่สุดพระปิ่นทองก็ตกหลุมรักและอยู่กินด้วยกันช่วงหนึ่งจนมณีรัตนาท้อง พระปิ่นทองจึงมอบแหวนประจำพระองค์ไว้ให้ก่อนจากกัน ระหว่างทางพระปิ่นทองได้สู้กับยักษ์ชื่อท้าวพาลราช ฝ่ายแก้วมณีเมื่อทราบความจากพระฤๅษีก็แปลงกายเป็นชายชื่อเจ้าแก้วนั่งเรือเหาะมาช่วยเหลือจนชนะและยกสร้อยสุวรรณ จันทร์สุดาพระธิดาของ ท้าวพาลราชให้เป็นเมียของพระปิ่นทอง และเจ้าแก้วก็แปลงร่างกลับเป็นนางแก้วมณีอุ้มลูกคือ พระปิ่นแก้วมาดักพระปิ่นทองที่เมือง พระปิ่นทองปฏิเสธแต่ก็จำนนด้วยหลักฐานคือแหวนประจำพระองค์พระปิ่นทองจึงไล่แก้วหน้าม้าและลูกให้ไปอยู่ท้ายวัง หลังจากนั้นไม่นานก็เกิดศึกท้าวประกายมาศพญายักษ์มาตีเมืองมิถิลา 

สร้อยสุวรรณ จันทร์สุดาจึงออกอุบายให้ท้าวภูวดลมาขอร้องนางแก้วมณีให้ไปช่วย แก้วหน้าม้าจึงแปลงกายเป็นเจ้าแก้วออกรบจนชนะ พระปิ่นทองจึงรู้ความจริงและงอนง้อขอคืนดีกับแก้วหน้าม้า ภายหลังจากที่มิถิลาสงบสุขอยู่ได้ 15 ปีนางทัศมาลีกับพระโอรสปิ่นศิลป์ไชยร่วมกันใช้มนต์เสน่ห์หลอกล่อ ให้พระปิ่นทองกลับไปอยู่ด้วย นางแก้วมณีและปิ่นแก้วจึงตามไปช่วยจนสำเร็จ พระปิ่นทองสั่งประหารนางทัศมาลีและปิ่นศิลป์ไชยแต่ปิ่นแก้วขอชีวิตไว้ นางทัศมาลีและปิ่นศิลป์ไชยจึงสำนึกผิดและกลับตัวเป็นคนดี ปิ่นแก้วจึงพาตัวปิ่นศิลป์ไชยกลับเมืองมิถิลา ระหว่างทางปิ่นศิลป์ไชยถูกนางยักษ์มณีฉายจับทำผัว ฝ่ายปิ่นแก้วเห็นน้องหาย จึงสวมรูปม้าออกตามหาไปจนถึงเมืองการะเกด เจ้าหญิงดารารัศมีเกิดสงสารจึงถอดแหวนแล้วมอบให้ 

ฝ่ายพระขนิษฐารัชนีเห็นดังนั้นจึงทูลฟ้องท้าวอุทัตเสด็จพ่อ ท้าวอุทัตจึงไล่นางดารารัศมีให้ไปอยู่กับชายหน้าม้าที่ปลายนา พระปิ่นแก้วคิดแก้แค้นจึงถอดรูปม้าไปลักลอบได้เสียกับเจ้าหญิงรัชนี โดยก่อนจากพระปิ่นแก้วได้มอบชายผ้าไว้ให้ ท้าวอุทัตทราบความจึงประกาศว่าผู้ใดเป็นเจ้าของชายผ้าจะยกพระธิดาให้ จึงเกิดการแย่งชิงของเจ้าต่างเมืองมากมายกลายเป็นศึกใหญ่ พระปิ่นแก้วจึงออกมาช่วยระงับศึกและได้ครองเมืองการะเกด ฝ่ายพระปิ่นศิลป์ไชยหลบหนีจากนางยักษ์มณีฉายด้วยการช่วยเหลือของเทพารักษ์โดยการมอบแหวนที่สามารถเปลี่ยนร่างเป็นชายแก่ให้ ระหว่างหลบหนีไปถึงเมืองจักรวรรดิก็ได้ช่วยชาวเมืองยกเสาที่ล้มอยู่กลับคืนที่เดิม ฝ่ายเจ้าเมืองคือท้าวทรงบดินทร์จำต้องยกเจ้าหญิงทิพวันให้ตามที่เคยลั่นวาจา ฝ่ายเจ้าหญิงทิพวันเมื่อรู้ความจริงว่าชายแก่คือ พระปิ่นศิลป์ไชยก็หลงรักและพากันกลับเมืองมิถิลา

kaew1.jpg

kaew2.jpg

kaew5.jpg

These pics. are from the modern soap I presume. Very interesting translation, it takes some getting used to believing all the transformations taking place have to get a child's mind back. I have read it a few times and will probably be able to have something to discuss tomorrow.

Indeed it does look like 'shill' which I had to Google. Perhaps both 'shill' and 'claque'.
An example given to me by a friend who is a runner is the presenting of a bouquet as a runner comes across the finishing line to give the impression that he is a significant person, worthy of applause perhaps. This is closer to the longdo definition of 'claque' inducing people to applaud. It is easy to see how the distincton between noun and verb is blurred in everyday speech.

2 hours ago, katana said:

Sounds like the Thai equivalent of the English word shill.

Yes, shill comes up when I add หน้าม้า here:

http://www.thai2english.com/

Maybe it originated from feng shui...
"The Chinese horse symbolizes success, loyalty, courage, forward momentum, and endurance. It is also said the horse can help cure a struggling business and foster a good reputation".

I don't think that หน้าม้า comes from this story but here goes anyway.
The story of NanggowMani who in the beginning was a fairy tale angel who was cursed to be born of a race of people who had horse faces. One day Prince Bintong the son of King Poowadon of Mitila who was flying his kite outside the palace, lost it in NanggowMani's garden when the string broke. She saw it and took it indoors. When the prince came to retrieve it she refused to give it to him unless he made her his queen. He was so keen to get his kite back that he had to promise to submit and in the end Nanggow Mani went to live in the palace. However the king wanted to find fault with her so he demanded that she should go and 'cut' Prasumane mountain. On the way there she encountered a hermit who could help her by changing her horse face and he gave her an airship and a large knife. When she had returned to the palace KingPoowadon ordered the prince to go to the Romwiti (city) to court Princess Tatsamali and when he left the Prince delivered an untimatum that if, when he returned NaggowMani didn't have a child by him she would be put to death.
So NangGowMani boarded her airship and went to live with an old couple on the outskirts of Romwiti (unsurprising really)at the same time she was transformed into a beuatiful maiden. As a result of this Prince Bintong fell in love with NangMani Ratana (as she had now become) and they lived together for a while and she became pregnant. Prince Bintong gave her his Royal ring before the parted.

Taking a break.
I find the print rather small I tried to slide to bigger but it doesn't seem to work on this app.

Using 'web view'on the iPhone produces larger print.
I think that I should have made more of พระฤาษี and call him Prareusee because a few more lines later he is still with her. So I think that ระหว่างทางก็ได้พระฤาษีช่วยและพระฤาษีนั้เองเป็นผู้ที่ถอดหน้าม้าและมอบเรือเหาะ...ให้ไว้ On the way she got the help of PraReusee and he is the very one who can remove her horse face and he gives her an airship ..... to keep.
I don't want to get bogged down with word for word translation but like to see if it does say anything specific with ให้ไว ​that he will always be ther to help, which is how I need to make it.
bannork, anybody?

tgeezer, I didn't get back to you in time to tell you to forget translating that piece I put up.

This morning I ran into an old colleague who has been a Thai language teacher for over 30 years. She said the horse face reference is very old and is not as far as she knows anything about a horse. It's more that it's an animal as opposed to a human, yet it's pretending to be human. It's fake as opposed to real- it's rent a crowd to clap as opposed to genuine appreciation, it's friends sitting in your restaurant to give the impression  it's popular to casual passer-byes. It's a shill as Katana said.

So the horse face is someone/something fake, pretending to be the genuine article, a human face.

Nobody thought that หน้าม้า was anything but human, or rather fairy tale human, and fairy tale horse for that matter, did they?
The definition of 'shill' in my OED says that it is American English and the definition is word for word what the RID has for หน้าม้า so it would appear to have been utilised as a translation of 'shill' .
However to choose หน้าม้า to represent 'shill' must mean that it did have a similar meaning and the fact of it being very old seems to suport your friend's opinion. I will continue in case I can find a link.
Thanks for posting the story it is the sort of puzzle i like.

• 2 weeks later...