Low spec Tablet as an E book reader only - feasible?

Thai Chi

Update and some good news / luck.

Firstly, a big thanks to the many informative posts. Much appreciated :jap:

As a self confessed Techno-peasant, its been a bit of a learning curve for me.

Right up until yesterday afternoon I still had no idea of which way to proceed, although I was leaning towards the e-readers.

I was speaking to an Aussie mate yesterday about his upcoming trip here. Offhandedly, I asked about e-reader prices in Oz and the possibility of him bringing one over. Turns out he has a new Kobo Aura something or other sitting in his cupboard. He won it in a club raffle earlier last year and as a non reader had no use for it.

So it looks like my original question is now moot, although I will share my thoughts on this e-reader when it turns up in March.

Again, many thanks for the help.

check out the required file format for yer kobo e-reader, my kindle only accepts .mobi and .pdf (the .pdf is worthless)...

know that you can convert to most any format desired with calibre (but no conversion from .pdf, unfortunately)...I usually convert from .epub to .mobi and keep calibre on my laptop for this purpose...

I think the Kobo uses epup files that is also supported by the excellent Calibre.

I am currently on a STCW course in Malaysia and are using my IPad mini as a Kindle reader and I already miss my real Kindle, the iPad is much more heavyweight and not near as comfortable using reading in the bed.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

7 hours ago, lungbing said:

My version of Calibre certainly converts from .pdf to .mobi

yes! I just noticed as I hadn't updated calibre for awhile...however the converted file from .pdf to .mobi appears in the kindle as a series of irritating couplets...which is distracting fer a good read...

22 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

check out the required file format for yer kobo e-reader, my kindle only accepts .mobi and .pdf

From a further conversation with my mate it would appear that the e-book in question is a pre 2016 Kobo Aura.

Specs seem OK .......

6-inch 1,024x768 resolution display

212ppi 16 level grey

1GHz processor

4GB memory with micro-SD card expansion

Textured back adds grip

Even back-light

Long battery life

The Aura supports the following file formats: .cbr, .cbz, .epub, .gif, .html, .jpeg, .mobi, .pdf, .png, .rft, .tiff, and .txt

Sounds like it maybe a freebie :smile:

Archived