Wife cousin is army recruiter

honoluludave

Just got a visit from a cousin of my wife I had never seen before who happens to be an army recruiter. He was trying to do the hard sell on my stepson. He  just got one more year of school. And we are trying our best to get him to finish. All of his friends are dropping out. Plus most of his family has never finished. Both my wife and I agree about him finishing HS before he does anything. Besides being lazy and a typical teenager he is a good kid. I really do not want this cousin involve in anything about my stepson and think this is a decision between him and his mother. The one thing he is good at is playing the trumpet. And my wife wants to send him to Bangkok to get better/learn how to earn a living playing the trumpet. Have been told there is a school. Which is not a problem. I told the cousin f/off that he was not doing anything until he finished school. Even his grandfather got involve tonight. Is there really anything I can do to get him to leave him alone?

45 minutes ago, honoluludave said:

He does have trumpet. And have been telling him that most musican starve before making it big

There are trumpets and trumpets...i guess he doesn't have a real handmade one from europe does he?

You even can send him there to the music academy to learn how to play trumpet like in a symphony orchestra.

In Thailand you have to bluff away all competitors, so the best trumpet to start with, best trumpet available and from Germany or so. Plus the best training, i don't think the thai are very good on trumpets cause i 've never seen one playing it.

But for sure that boy has more interests...you just have to find them and support that a bit by buying something for him so he's the hero cause he has that. If he's into music you buy some computer he can use to make music. Or maybe convince him to play saxophone cause that's more widely used, also in popmusic.

On the other hand, there's nothing wrong with the army, especially if he's a lazy spoiled thai kid....and he can also play trumpet there.

My Thai Son in law is in the Thai Army, A conscript, He is lucky he is Guarding the Future King and his family. He is one of the Lucky ones, There are lots who absconded, mainly becasue they are poorly paid, Quite a few have young wives and families, They have to get by the best they can , So for me go for the Education,   You can pay not to go in the Army, or take the gamble and dont pick the black ball.

12 hours ago, fruitman said:

Give him a real quality trumpet? And also teach him something usefull cause playing trumpet doesn't pay the bills.

The odds aren't good- I'll grant you that.  But I'd rather have a 99% chance of being poor doing something I love than a 100% chance of making 300 baht a day doing something I hate.

Which is kind of a sad statement about the average Thai kids' prospects...  Hopefully, the OP's guidance can help that.

A family in our village had two sons, the eldest wanted to join the army and was successful. He completed his basic training and volunteered to go to the south of Thailand, receiving a higher rate of pay. He was killed when the vehicle he was in hit a road side bomb. His body was returned to his home by a bus with 21 solders. The family were told by the solders that a high ranking office would bring compensation, a figure of 100,000 baht was mentioned to the mother. Wanting to have a good send off for her son she borrowed money from neighbours myself included.

After five days of drinking the day of the funeral arrived and as the fire was lit the solders lined up and gave the boy a 21 gun salute. We returned to the house where a cream coloured Mercedes Benz had brought a man with a case. He talked to the family for a few min's  gave them a envelope and left. He told them there son had killed himself and gave them 10,000 baht. 

The boys name had appear'd in a news paper along with a photo of the blown up vehicle. I was enraged at what had happened not only had the family lost a son and were out of pocket due to the cost of the funeral but to me it was clear compensation due to them had disappeared. Ever one in the village simply accepted this is what happens in Thailand and there was nothing that could be done, they know there place.

If it was my son I would do everything I could do to keep him away from the army.

28 minutes ago, impulse said:

The odds aren't good- I'll grant you that.  But I'd rather have a 99% chance of being poor doing something I love than a 100% chance of making 300 baht a day doing something I hate.

Which is kind of a sad statement about the average Thai kids' prospects...  Hopefully, the OP's guidance can help that.

Yup, there's NO WAY at all a Thai will make more than 300 baht a day and even for that they have to do a terrible job.

Everything you see in the malls is sold to tourists only, thai can't afford that. And those new cars on the roads? Nope they can't afford them, Thai on airports? All got a ticket paid by the one who hired them...

Dream on man, another intelligent post from you. Guess you have never been into a moobaan right?

3 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Yup, there's NO WAY at all a Thai will make more than 300 baht a day and even for that they have to do a terrible job.

Everything you see in the malls is sold to tourists only, thai can't afford that. And those new cars on the roads? Nope they can't afford them, Thai on airports? All got a ticket paid by the one who hired them...

Dream on man, another intelligent post from you. Guess you have never been into a moobaan right?

You did read the word "average"?  Of course there's always opportunities to do better.  Matched with beggars all over the streets near my place, and millions of farmers who would be tickled pink with each working family member bringing in 300 baht a day over an entire year.

My point is that the difference in pay here between doing something you love and doing something just because it pays the bills makes playing a trumpet look not so ill thought out.  If that's what he loves.   Back home, the calculation is very different.

7 minutes ago, impulse said:

You did read the word "average"?  Of course there's always opportunities to do better.  Matched with beggars all over the streets near my place, and millions of farmers who would be tickled pink with each working family member bringing in 300 baht a day over an entire year.

My point is that the difference in pay here between doing something you love and doing something just because it pays the bills makes playing a trumpet look not so ill thought out.  If that's what he loves.   Back home, the calculation is very different.

Tell me, how did the farmers get those big new pickuptrucks? Are they sooo cheap upcountry?

And farmer is a big word, they call anybody who grows rice a farmer.

My family is in sugarcane and drive brand new toyota's. Their kids study in BKK.

And since when are we counting the beggars' income??

Last week you wrote here that German rescueteams (the official one) are thieves and don't even bring food to a tsunami-struck place...and now this nonsense that all thai make 300 baht a day...You really have a good view on the world mate.

1 minute ago, FritsSikkink said:

It is a stupid statement about Thai kids prospects, loads of ways to make a decent living. That you can't think of them is sad.

I can think of lots of them.  Like playing the trumpet.  Or, he can do something he doesn't enjoy nearly as much.   Like most Thai kids will end up doing for the rest of their working lives.  

Like most of the people I know from back home, too.  Like me.  The difference is that we do it because it pays 3-10x better than doing what we love.  That's not true in a country where the minimum wage is 300 baht a day and huge segments of the population don't even make that.

Or, you can see it as an insult to the country that gets about 1/5 the GDP out of their average citizen as where we grew up.  Some insults hurt, but they're true.

12 hours ago, fruitman said:

There are trumpets and trumpets...i guess he doesn't have a real handmade one from europe does he?

You even can send him there to the music academy to learn how to play trumpet like in a symphony orchestra.

In Thailand you have to bluff away all competitors, so the best trumpet to start with, best trumpet available and from Germany or so. Plus the best training, i don't think the thai are very good on trumpets cause i 've never seen one playing it.

But for sure that boy has more interests...you just have to find them and support that a bit by buying something for him so he's the hero cause he has that. If he's into music you buy some computer he can use to make music. Or maybe convince him to play saxophone cause that's more widely used, also in popmusic.

On the other hand, there's nothing wrong with the army, especially if he's a lazy spoiled thai kid....and he can also play trumpet there.

Do you not mean Bugle?

2 hours ago, honoluludave said:

It seems that my wife's father and his 2 brothers have solved our little drama last  night and have sent the cousin back to where ever he came from. So should have a couple more years before we have deal with army recruiters. Now to just get him to finish school.

Get a brown envelope ready and he will finish school.

I have a fifteen year old nephew. He plays the flute and is a pupil in a Bangkok music school. It's no easy ride. Most days he does not leave the school till late evening. The school concentrates more on music than academia. I've wondered what his chances are of making a living playing a flute. Not very good I suspect. He plays in the school orchestra and loves it. He will have to face the real world one day and earn a living. Playing his flute? I hope so. Meanwhile he is doing something he loves. I'm proud of him.

14 hours ago, fruitman said:

Give him a real quality trumpet? And also teach him something usefull cause playing trumpet doesn't pay the bills.

Tell that to Louie Armstrong? ....(difficult now I know but I think one can get my drift)

4 hours ago, yellowboat said:

No discussion, school comes first.  There are other jobs in the music and entertainment industry.  If he is interested, learning an instrument is a good start to learning other things including computer programming.  Stay positive and motivate the kid. 

Make trumpeteering your night job. 

15 hours ago, honoluludave said:

Just got a visit from a cousin of my wife I had never seen before who happens to be an army recruiter.

Well getting away from trumpets l would say the OP has nothing to fear from a recruiter his step son l guess will have to be involved with the army from 21 on at some point, if he does nothing before hand in my experience.

My step son right up to and during uni had to attend army classes he did this from high school age and was able not to be drafted.

I couldn't find many real facts about about paying off the army l guess it's possible and the Thai rich can get away with pretty almost anything.

There are other ways out maybe that's why there's so many in Thailand. :biggrin:

The following is from some info :-

Thailand’s armed forces search for healthy men aged between 21 and 30 years old.

The military always needs new recruits. Many of the places are filled by volunteers. The rest are drafted through a lottery that many hope to lose. By law all Thai men who do not volunteer for military service must attend the conscription lottery at least once after they turn 21.

Not everyone is eligible — recruits must be physically fit, at least 1.60 meters tall and with a chest size of 76 centimetres or more.

Also spared from serving their country are transgender ‘katoeys’, or ladyboys. Previously transsexuals were exempted on the grounds of a “psychological abnormality”, but that has now been replaced by a “misshapen chest”. 

The worst case scenario is a posting in Thailand’s deep south, where an insurgency waged by suspected Islamic militants has left many people dead over the past years.

Anybody caught trying to escape conscription faces three years in prison, followed by a stint in the army, probably down south.

From what l see from many young Thai men's behaviour in our village they should all have a stint in the army IMO.

2 hours ago, Gandtee said:

I have a fifteen year old nephew. He plays the flute and is a pupil in a Bangkok music school. It's no easy ride. Most days he does not leave the school till late evening. The school concentrates more on music than academia. I've wondered what his chances are of making a living playing a flute. Not very good I suspect. He plays in the school orchestra and loves it. He will have to face the real world one day and earn a living. Playing his flute? I hope so. Meanwhile he is doing something he loves. I'm proud of him.

As long as you support him of course he will love playing the flute all day.Withdraw support and let reality step in and see what happens.Expect to get serenaded at the dinner table every night.

3 hours ago, mick220675 said:

A familyhoweverour village had two sons, the eldesta snted to join the army and was successful. He complet eciallyhis basic training and volunteered to go to the south of Thailand, receiving a higher rate of pay. He was killed when the vehicle he was in hit a road side bomb. His body was returned to his home by a bus with 21 solders. The family were told by the solders that a high ranking office would bring compensation, a figure of 100,000 baht was mentioned to the mother. Wanting to have a good send off for her son she borrowed money from neighbours myself included.

After five days of drinking the day of the funeral arrived and as the fire was lit the solders lined up and gave the boy a 21 gun salute. We returned to the house where a cream coloured Mercedes Benz had brought a man with a case. He talked to the family for a few min's  gave them a envelope and left. He told them there son had killed himself and gave them 10,000 baht. 

The boys name had appear'd in a news paper along with a photo of the blown up vehicle. I was enraged at what had happened not only had the family lost a son and were out of pocket due to the cost of the funeral but to me it was clear compensation due to them had disappeared. Ever one in the village simply accepted this is what happens in Thailand and there was nothing that could be done, they know there place.

If it was my son I would do everything I could do to keep him away from the army.

That a very sad story ... it made my

eyes water. I bet he was a good kid and bet he would have made a good soldier.

There are risks being in the army and especially if based in volitile regions, however I believe the benefits outway the risk of an accident. The army is good for kids and its shame conscription 

isnt compulsory in Australia, so many idiots loose on the streets.

RIP good man.

5 hours ago, honoluludave said:

It seems that my wife's father and his 2 brothers have solved our little drama last  night and have sent the cousin back to where ever he came from. So should have a couple more years before we have deal with army recruiters. Now to just get him to finish school.

So u didn't do wot most Thais do then if there is family conflict.

Shoot him. ???

5 hours ago, steven100 said:

There are risks being in the army and especially if based in volitile regions, however I believe the benefits outway the risk of an accident. The army is good for kids and its shame conscription 

RIP good man.

The boy was a very polite and deeply respectful person. He had been on leave two weeks before he died, the day before he went back he had been at a barbecue at our house he was a friend to me and my family.

As some one who spent time in the military I agree with you that the army can be very positive for some people. But in Thailand I think if the individual has the ability gaining a education would provide more of a opportunity to have a successful life. But having said that there are some in our village that need a kick up the arse, and a spell in the army may do that.

6 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Well getting away from trumpets l would say the OP has nothing to fear from a recruiter his step son l guess will have to be involved with the army from 21 on at some point, if he does nothing before hand in my experience.

My step son right up to and during uni had to attend army classes he did this from high school age and was able not to be drafted.

I couldn't find many real facts about about paying off the army l guess it's possible and the Thai rich can get away with pretty almost anything.

There are other ways out maybe that's why there's so many in Thailand. :biggrin:

Thailand’s armed forces search for healthy men aged between 21 and 30 years old.

The military always needs new recruits. Many of the places are filled by volunteers. The rest are drafted through a lottery that many hope to lose. By law all Thai men who do not volunteer for military service must attend the conscription lottery at least once after they turn 21.

Not everyone is eligible — recruits must be physically fit, at least 1.60 meters tall and with a chest size of 76 centimetres or more.

Also spared from serving their country are transgender ‘katoeys’, or ladyboys. Previously transsexuals were exempted on the grounds of a “psychological abnormality”, but that has now been replaced by a “misshapen chest”. 

The worst case scenario is a posting in Thailand’s deep south, where an insurgency waged by suspected Islamic militants has left many people dead over the past years.

Anybody caught trying to escape conscription faces three years in prison, followed by a stint in the army, probably down south.

From what l see from many young Thai men's behaviour in our village they should all have a stint in the army IMO.

The young lad is at that dangerous age where he wants to quit school and run with the pack so to speak. Testosterone glands excrete Mirrors are used to scan for pimples and having just one hair brush is not enough. Get as much education as you can. Deducting 20 from 80 a good life span you will see that the years after 20 are the longest stretch and by far the hardest. Below 20 the years of education gives you mostly the ability to think in the school of life. Values are aquirred and closeted within as are so many other embodiments of life. The fibre of your being toughens in the oncoming years and feeds off of what you have stored. Life becomes the author and you are the book.  

Edited by elgordo38

7 hours ago, steven100 said:

RIP good man.

Mine too, very sad, nice post steven.

Edited by grollies

2 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

The young lad is at that dangerous age where he wants to quit school and run with the pack so to speak. Testosterone glands excrete Mirrors are used to scan for pimples and having just one hair brush is not enough. Get as much education as you can. Deducting 20 from 80 a good life span you will see that the years after 20 are the longest stretch and by far the hardest. Below 20 the years of education gives you mostly the ability to think in the school of life. Values are aquirred and closeted within as are so many other embodiments of life. The fibre of your being toughens in the oncoming years and feeds off of what you have stored. Life becomes the author and you are the book.  

Good call cyber buddy.  :thumbsup:

10 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Is there any truth in the rumour that luk kruengs cannot volunteer despite being eligible for conscription?

18 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Thanks for the information. I did not know about the age range. I had thought that it was 18. We really do have couple of years before we have to be concerned with this

The Thai Army would be way down the list as a career, in my eyes. Dig out a couple of video posts seen regularly on social media sights, where army 'training' of recruits is shown to be carried out by several NCOs on one recruit, using canes and boots. Show him these videos. He'll never want to join the animals in the Thai Army after seeing them!