Households face at least 350 baht/month for garbage collection and disposal

webfact

Households face at least 350 baht/month for garbage collection and disposal

IMG_8828.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A new cleanliness law has come into force since its publication in the Royal Gazette on January 15 under which each household will have to pay garbage collection and disposal fees.

The monthly basic fees start with 150 baht for the collection of garbage not exceeding 120 kgs or 600 litres plus 200 baht for the disposal of the same amount of garbage. Garbage exceeding 120 kgs will be charged at similar rates – 150 baht for collection and 200 baht for disposal.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/households-face-least-350-bahtmonth-garbage-collection-disposal/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-01-23

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my village (Ban Sentor, midway between Big C 2 Hang Dong and Canal Road) garbage collection has been in operation for the last 2 years and works very well.

Black plastic embossed sacks are bought from the  village store for 10 baht each and left at the main roadside for collection twice a week.

I hope this "initiative" from the government doesn't ruin it.

Edited by davehowden
Correction

I can't see how this is going to work at all. How are people going to be made to pay? and it would be an invitation for many to simply fly tip more, or burn more than they do now (which is a disgusting amount already)..
Last time I checked, most houses don't even have a wheelie bin or any outside bin they could call their own, so again how can people be expected to cough up any money when there is no way to determine who creates what garbage.

Ridiculous idea, as ever there is far too much jumping the gun & critical stages missed out.

Well that is going to be a 10x increase from what we are paying now. Wonder if the service will be more consistent? Plus that is a pretty steep penalty for unauthorized garbage collectors. Would have thought they would be happy with anybody picking up the trash

Edited by honoluludave

On 1/23/2017 at 6:38 AM, z42 said:

I can't see how this is going to work at all. How are people going to be made to pay? and it would be an invitation for many to simply fly tip more, or burn more than they do now (which is a disgusting amount already)..
Last time I checked, most houses don't even have a wheelie bin or any outside bin they could call their own, so again how can people be expected to cough up any money when there is no way to determine who creates what garbage.

Ridiculous idea, as ever there is far too much jumping the gun & critical stages missed out.

It's almost like garbage collection hasn't been invented on your planet yet.

Thailand can simply use the same model of operations successfully deployed by hundreds of other countries.

Yes, this will certainly increase fly-tipping which is already making the whole railway line bypass Rd give the impression of driving through a tip. Most of my area utilizes large  bins that are shared and left by the roadside for the dogs to tip over. Small businesses may travel away from their place of business to fill up the bins meant for others. They won't even supply bins for their own trash, nor have that trash anywhere near their place of business.

This idea has a long way to go!

In my village (Ban Sentor, midway between Big C 2 Hang Dong and Canal Road) garbage collection has been in operation for the last 2 years and works very well.

Black plastic embossed sacks are bought from the  village store for 10 baht each and left at the main roadside for collection twice a week.

Sounds like a good initiative was taken by your village, I'm guessing that only those that had left out embossed sacks had them uplifted. I'm also wondering about how they keep the dogs from tearing them open?

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Our 100 baht a month buys us garbage collection, street lighting and street/verge maintenance. But the garbage collection guys will only accept household waste and nothing else, anything unusual or odd, even leaves/grass trimmings incurs an additional fee. Black plastic bags of waste get thrown onto the back of a truck where the bags are ripped open and discarded, the contents sorted for what can be reclaimed and sold later and for inspection of any unauthorised waste - for an additional 300 baht a month they will take anything I put out, for me it's all good value.

But Mrs CM's family in Sukhothai are required to pay 10 baht for the truck to collect anything that is put out and they refuse to pay, as does 75% of the village, why pay when we can burn for free is the prevailing attitude. Education needed big time.

The 350 baht, those that include still leaving everything they miss throwing in the garbage truck on the road AND squeezing the garbage together (always in front of my place), so all fluids collected before are deposited on the road, which of course smells great.

Edited by BrainLife

4 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

In the USA municipal services such as garbage are paid for by local taxes, and such.  In Huntsville, Alabama, they charge you for garbage collection directly on your electric utility bill.  You have no option to refuse it, not pay it, etc,

But we not in USA. This is TV forum.

Why does everyone on here keep comparing things with USA.

We Don't want to know.  ???

31 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Our 100 baht a month buys us garbage collection, street lighting and street/verge maintenance. But the garbage collection guys will only accept household waste and nothing else, anything unusual or odd, even leaves/grass trimmings incurs an additional fee. Black plastic bags of waste get thrown onto the back of a truck where the bags are ripped open and discarded, the contents sorted for what can be reclaimed and sold later and for inspection of any unauthorised waste - for an additional 300 baht a month they will take anything I put out, for me it's all good value.

But Mrs CM's family in Sukhothai are required to pay 10 baht for the truck to collect anything that is put out and they refuse to pay, as does 75% of the village, why pay when we can burn for free is the prevailing attitude. Education needed big time.

Here we pay 300 baht for garbage, lights and cleaning of the village keeping the small park and general area's clean. Same problem for non household garbage (would gladly pay more if we had that service). Stupidly there are still people refusing to pay. I wish our village was a bit more stickt like not allowing cars from those houses in and stuff like that. Not paying for upkeep of the village by some is cheating towards the others. There should be tough laws to force people to pay. 

10 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

I think most building sites or villages will do what we do we have a condo fee that we have to pay every month and it includes the gardener and up keep as well as garbage collection.

I pay 1416 per month to the Juristic entity that runs my mooban.  For this my garbage is collected THREE times a week; the streets are swept 3 times weekly; all common areas trimmed and watered; communal pool and gym maintained; 24 hour security; a web site; and a monthly financial report each month by email.  I live in Bang Saray; my fees have not been raised in 11 years.  61 of 62 houses paid last year.  The committee has over 1.5 million in the bank.  This level of service has to be worth much more.  It's a shame I have to sell up to return to Europe.

59 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

If fly tipping becomes a problem then raise the fines on fly tipping...duh!

Theres plenty of places for fly tipping without being seen, especially at night.

Problem not solved.

4 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

In the USA municipal services such as garbage are paid for by local taxes, and such.  In Huntsville, Alabama, they charge you for garbage collection directly on your electric utility bill.  You have no option to refuse it, not pay it, etc,

I assume there are many different ways of collecting the fees worldwide.

33 minutes ago, Sooo Upto Me said:

But we not in USA. This is TV forum.

Why does everyone on here keep comparing things with USA.

We Don't want to know.  ???

Exactly!

The Thai won't pay for garbage disposal, it will be cheaper to let Somchai with his pickuptruck dump it somewhere along a road.

And if they start collecting seriously they should at least keep batteries appart. I even throw old oil in the drains cause there's no other way to get rid of it.

This new idea is copied from a sufisticated country where garbage trucks are able to weigh every intake. 

Increasing the garbage-fee from 10-40 baht to +150 baht will create a counter-effect.

More and more people won't pay the high fee and dispose their garbage along the road or in one of the many garbage-bins around. 

How on earth will this work ? Presumably the 120kg is the monthly amount, so how can they possibly keep a check on this ? They cannot weigh and input each "household" collection times would be totally unworkable.

I can see fly-tipping soaring and the environment suffering, not benefitting.

1 hour ago, meatboy said:

only way it will work IS to ADD it to the electric bill,otherwise they will do what they do every day,CHUCK IT BY THE SIDE OF THE ROAD.

Sorry, have to disagree. Maybe we live on a different planet, but we don't have an issue in our village. Local authority provides 200 lt. rubbish bin. Collection twice per week. The guys take anything placed in or beside the bin. Annual payment of 1,200 baht to village head man, with receipt. Very little, if any, rubbish in our Sois.

Just sayin.

2 hours ago, honoluludave said:

Well that is going to be a 10x increase from what we are paying now. Wonder if the service will be more consistent? Plus that is a pretty steep penalty for unauthorized garbage collectors. Would have thought they would be happy with anybody picking up the trash

Yes the poor guys that collect cardboard and bottles will be out of work, they do a good job.

The corporate boys will be gathering and separating the rubbish now.

3 hours ago, davehowden said:

We had that also up to 3 years ago , now we just pay 300 baht per year and i don't have to go buy these special stamped bags any more.

350 per month would be a 1100 % increase !:sad: