Foreign language training for Thai tourist guides

webfact

Foreign language training for Thai tourist guides
By THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- THE Department of Tourism (DOT) and the Ministry of Tourism and Sports are working with the Bureau of the Royal Household to organise foreign-language training for tour guides to assist the high volume of international tourists visiting the Grand Palace and the Temple of Emerald Buddha.

The Royal Household has created newly designated walking routes around the Grand Palace and the Temple of the Emerald Buddha so tourists can proceed in an orderly |fashion. 

“A project has been developed to develop more tourist guides for the purpose and so far two classes in Chinese-language guides have graduated. Training of tourists in other languages will follow suit,” according to Wanasiri Morakul, DOT director |general.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/business/aec/30304662

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-01-23

Training of tourists in other languages will follow suit

:sleepy:

On the subject of tour guides I wondered for a few seconds why they don't hire people who have existing language skills, then I remembered why - it's the salary / lack of it.

If you pay peanuts...

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

:sleepy:

On the subject of tour guides I wondered for a few seconds why they don't hire people who have existing language skills, then I remembered why - it's the salary / lack of it.

If you pay peanuts...

Yep! If you pay peanuts, you just get a lot of worthless shell to deal with.

On the other hand it´s nice to hear that the relevance of knowing other laguages has emerged. Usually a needed part of being a tourist guide everywhere.

Was looking for something in Hong Kong airport.  A beautiful tall blond woman walked over and offered to help.  Was a bit shocked.  Turned out she was a Russian tour guide in Hong Kong.  Love the way other countries in the region just get on with things where Thailand runs in a petty circle.   

A few years ago my wife trained to be a tourist guide.

The class consisted of about 40 students and one of the major requirements was both good spoken and written English. Not one student failed despite only about 3 of them being anywhere near competent with their English ability. My wife was by far the oldest and passed with flying colours thanks partly to having lived in the UK for 3 years I guess.

Unless there is a strict monitoring of language ability then I fear this initiative will be next to useless and it is of little wonder that many foreign tourist groups prefer their own homegrown guides.

3 hours ago, arrowsdawdle said:

It's only 2016, what's the rush? Face saving? Oh, it's because every bordering country, and all ASEAN countries beyond LOS borders, have good command of English, the language of international travel, while LOS remains functionally illiterate. Target date? 2022?

It's 2017...

5 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Was looking for something in Hong Kong airport.  A beautiful tall blond woman walked over and offered to help.  Was a bit shocked.  Turned out she was a Russian tour guide in Hong Kong.  Love the way other countries in the region just get on with things where Thailand runs in a petty circle.   

Pattaya has Russian women working too.

My wifes niece has been learning English as part of a university course on commerce and tourism.

I watched her talking to some tourists at a temple but found it hard to understand what she was saying. It turned out that her teacher was from the Philippines so she was talking with a Filipino accent!

Is the investment worth the money? In China our Thai speaking guide had lived in Pathum Thani, alone, for 2 years at the expense of the Chinese government. His Thai was fabulous but considering how many tourists will come anyway. I think it would be cheaper and better to teach the native speakers of each tour group about Thai history and culture. Of course,  unlikely to happen.

1 hour ago, Oziex1 said:

Many stories of what appear to be attempts at resurrecting the tourist industry.

Has it seen better days?

Well the TAT now is promoting many countryside cities as tourist destinations.

Even the Esan is being promoted!

So yup it's about time they start learning english...or tomorrow maybe...or...well who cares? Tourists will come anyway and they will be happy happy. Especially now they have to pay 220 baht for every atm-transaction (plus the costs to your foreign bank).

The third class of foreign-language tourist guide training will be conducted in English during January 23-25, 2017. After training, the proficiency test will be held on January 27, 2017 to certify their capability to work 

A hundred in a class lasting three days. Now that's what I call a crash course. 

16 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

The third class of foreign-language tourist guide training will be conducted in English during January 23-25, 2017. After training, the proficiency test will be held on January 27, 2017 to certify their capability to work 

A hundred in a class lasting three days. Now that's what I call a crash course. 

They get a full day for self-study before the test.

Should be fine.

What is the passing fee?