Beware of Bangkok Bank

PhDEducation

36 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Nope, I don't think it's a troll post, but I think the OP finally decided either to return to his home country or was admitted to an appropriate institution where he has limited internet access.

I looked at his profile.  He joined ThaiVisa in November 2015 and was last active in January this year.  During his time of membership he contributed to posts about credit card skimming, elderly men getting drugged and robbed by Thai women, a Malaysian being busted with many fake credit cards, etc.  Plus several references to his own problems with Bangkok Bank.

He came here for retirement and seemed to be having problems managing his money, probably compounded by some of the local people he associated with.

This is why I wrote earlier that this topic should be renamed "Beware of Your Bad Banking Practices".

There is nothing in this whole topic/thread that means you should 'beware' of the bad banking practices of one specific Bank or Branch. All the things mentioned regarding bad practices here have happened at banks and to people all round the world.

The remainder of the threads/responses are to do with the benefits or otherwise of using the bank in question.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So here is a new one - at least new to me.  My business partner tried to transfer funds from our business account in the UAE to our business account in Thailand.  Our finance manager screwed up and on the transfer request said the Thai account was USD - when it is Baht - and sent USD.  The bank wouldn't automatically exchange the USD to Baht for the transfer and returned the funds to our account in Dubai.

We resent the money just now and checked Thai Baht on the transfer request.  

Is this "normal" for a bank not to just automatically exchange the funds?

On 1/24/2017 at 7:14 AM, chiang mai said:

"Since 2014, to present day,  but not every month, my account has been hacked".

If that's true and not just an emotional response to your woes, I think you need to look at those people around and near to you, sounds very much like somebody you know and trust is taking advantage of you.

55555. a more polite way of saying the girlfriends boyfriend girlfriends boyfriend

On 1/24/2017 at 9:09 AM, sharktooth said:

Switch to Kasikorn. I've been with them for years and I have no complaints. Btw I also have accounts with Lloyds, Santander, HSBC and AFR, but Kasikorn continue to impress me.

5555 HSBC drug cartel money launderers were kicked out of the USA after being caught red handed. I had an HSBC credit card that was transferred to capital one. 

Personally, I don't like Kassikorn bank. Usually have long lines. Even for ATM/CDM's. 

I receive my pension and social security direct deposits through Citibank. They have a network of affiliates internationally. I make ATM withdrawals with no fees at the Citi Thai branch at ASOK. I have not tried to make any deposits though and to transfer funds to a foreign bank costs $35 per transaction. It is true there are only a couple of Citibank ATM's and branch locations in Bangkok, and CitiThai doesn't care for small accounts each time I inquire about opening an account I am told of new forms needed and what was originally a ฿10,000 opening deposit became a ฿100,000 then ฿1,000,000 opening balance. I opened my Thai account at Krungsri bank (affiliated with Japans Mitsubishi financial) the people are friendly but speak little English, no long lines, they issued a visa debit card on the spot but the iPhone app is really confusing to try to transfer funds and the statements only list transaction dates, amounts, & transaction codes do not indicate payees. I guess no such thing as perfect eh?

1 hour ago, Grumpy Duck said:

5555 HSBC drug cartel money launderers were kicked out of the USA after being caught red handed. I had an HSBC credit card that was transferred to capital one. 

Personally, I don't like Kassikorn bank. Usually have long lines. Even for ATM/CDM's. 

Sorry to ruin a nice piece of sensationalism, but HSBC is as live and well in the USA.  

55 minutes ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

Sorry to ruin a nice piece of sensationalism, but HSBC is as live and well in the USA.  

Oopsie, I see I was mislead. When my HSBC MasterCard was transferred to Capital One they stated that HSBC was no longer doing business in USA I had read about Elisabeth Warren going after them. I remember reading somewhere that they lost their charter in the US oh well so much for I read it on the internet excuse 555. 

On 24/01/2017 at 11:59 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

Any ATM account can be hacked, Bangkok Bank is no better or worse than others.  I've used them for 12+ years (although I don't use online banking) and I've never had a problem.  My UK credit card was hacked though!

Yeah but the difference is your UK bank covers the losses. Good luck in the LOS!

On 23/01/2017 at 11:35 PM, Dante99 said:

another case of incomplete information by an emotionally distraught dramatic OP

time to change banks and do not tell anyone about it and start with just a bank book, no cards or online but that is probably too easy

so you need Bangkok bank because of the USA connection, okay keep it but as soon as the money arrives in your Thai account, remove it and put it in another bank

and yes there are other ways to get money from the US, several of them, which can be used at other banks, strange you have to ask

agree, get smart. at the moment your doing the same thing again and again to your own detriment

• 1 month later...

Give up your card and use your book. Write a letter before handing in your card that you will hold the Bank responsible for any withdrawals without a signature. Use another bank for a card if you need. Tranfer money to Thailand using an FX firm, much better rates. If you meed money to buy a Condo the corrupt government insist on their cut so you have to use a Bank.

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 11:40 PM, moe666 said:

Never any problem with my Bangkok Bank account and of course I do not have a ATM card, going to bank for withdrawal is inconvient but noworries about being hacked

Absolutely nailed it. Don't have an ATM card, don't get hacked. They keep trying to give me one, but I refuse.

A defamatory post has been removed.

From the Forum Rules

6) You will not post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel.
Defamation is the issuance of a statement about another person or business which causes that person to suffer harm. It does not have to be false to be defamatory. Libel is when the defamatory statement is published either in a drawing, painting, cinematography, film, picture or letters made visible by any means, or any other recording instruments, recording picture or letters, or by broadcasting or spreading picture, or by propagation by any other means. Defamation is both a civil and criminal charge in Thailand.

• 3 weeks later...

StevyMac

There is nothing you can do to retrieve your lost monies! I no longer have an ATM nor I banking and my monies have been secured. 

I too have police reports, and they tracked my monies to a woman in BKK but she changed her name and closed the account. Gone forever! 

I stand corrected: 

Be careful around ATMs.

“Look at them before you swipe. Check for loose housing, exposed wires, bulkiness and anything that looks out of ordinary,” Glassberg says. Those are all signs that a thief may have installed a skimmer on the machine, which could lift the data from your card, he says. Also, try to use a bank branch or merchant you trust when withdrawing cash.

You can install an app called Skimmer Scanner and check an ATM before you use it. The app scans for the Bluetooth links between the "modified" ATM card reader and sometime within range who would be picking up the signals contsining you card details. I have used it and do far nothing found, but worth using of you are at an ATM.

And I recently discovered that Bangkok Bank no longer issue Visa ATM/ Debit cards. They are now only issuing China Union Pay/JCB cards which will be a problem of you are trying to use an ATM in most western countries.

17 hours ago, brommers said:

And I recently discovered that Bangkok Bank no longer issue Visa ATM/ Debit cards. They are now only issuing China Union Pay/JCB cards which will be a problem of you are trying to use an ATM in most western countries.

As of a month ago, when a friend opened a new Bangkok Bank account at Kad Suan Kaew, they started to set him up with one of those China Union Pay/JCB cards.  I asked if the Visa ATM/Debit cards where still available and they said they'd have to apply for one from the HQ in Bangkok and the process would take a week.  My friend said he'd wait and, sure enough, a Visa ATM/Debit card showed up for him at the branch in about a week.  

Now maybe they've totally stopped offering them since my friend got his, or perhaps they only offer them to people with one-year visa extensions and/or work permits, but it's worth asking when they try to give you a China Union Pay/JCB card.

I have a one year visa extension, numerous accounts at the KSK branch and have a Bualuang Exclusive card as well as credit cards. I was told that there was no way of getting a Visa ATM card which is a deal breaker as far as I am concerned. When my current card expires in 2021 this will result in me moving to a different bank that has what I am looking for.

On 9/10/2017 at 2:46 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Absolutely nailed it. Don't have an ATM card, don't get hacked. They keep trying to give me one, but I refuse.

I have a Visa card ( Australian ) and a Kasikorn debit card. I keep them in a metal wallet, and would only use them in an emergency; e.g. admission to hospital.

IMHO drawing cash using a savings passbook is as secure as one can get here. Possibly less convenient; however, having to present one's passport and sign in front of the teller would be beyond the ingenuity of most thieves - except perhaps Arya Stark.

Thanks to some advice on TVF, I put my retirement money in CIMB Thai, in fixed deposits, topped it up to a million, and got Preferred status, which is about 1000 THB in higher interest per year...currently getting 1.7%....and then keep 20k or so in a Speed savings, which they gave me a free VISA Debit, with no inter province fees or fees to use other ATMs.  Second year is 100 THB, chip protected...special preferred customer hotline and 100 THB for Immigration letter.  Also, very easy to bank in ASEAN.  BKK Bank KSK seems to do a good job of tolerating elderly expats, with most of their marbles gone, but there are much better choices.  Thanachart, Krungsri, UOB, to name three more..all in the basement of Airport Plaza .  Service always seems better, when there are serious competitors close by.

Edited by BuddyDean

On 10/1/2017 at 7:54 PM, chingmai331 said:

Answer me this: how does the ATM card get you hacked?  Keep the card in your pocket and  the secret number 'secret', use only well-lit and very public ATM machines, don't let others peer over your shoulder when entering the number and what could go wrong?

I was playing golf with the ATM card in my wallet. My tee times was at 1:00 pm and returned home at 8:00 pm. When checking my I banking, 14,000 was transferred through my ATM. The transaction was at 1432 and retrieved at 1630.  Hmmm I was playing golf during that time. 

Sorry but not suffering from  dementia! Teaching at a private university, so my mental  faculties are in order. Sorry to disappoint some on the sight, perhaps that's why I don't reply or voice an experience here. 

Thank you to many of the people who were giving some sound and logical advice, very much appreciated! 

On 2017-01-23 at 11:34 PM, ukrules said:

It's highly unusual for one person to be 'hacked' multiple times.

In fact it's so unusual that I suspect someone who might have had access to your cards is targeting you specifically.

Exactly my thoughts. Family or cleaning lady or someone that have access to your house. Get a safetybox 900bht and keep your card there. Someone can skimm your card in 1 minute. With a portable skimmer.