Beware of Bangkok Bank

PhDEducation

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/23/2017 at 11:26 PM, stevymac said:

Same thing happened to me!! Someone withdrew 20k at ATM in thonburi 6am got police report bank wouldn't refund money! Bkk bank defo something dodgy then. There must be something I can do to get money back right??

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

As soon as I did a transfer from my American bank to Bangkok Bank, Bangkok Bank disabled my ATM card for that account. It was my understanding that once you transfer money internationally to Bangkok Bank, you can't have an ATM card for that account. You have to transfer money to another account, either at Bangkok Bank or another bank to use an ATM card. I've been transferring money from the USA to Bangkok Bank for years and then transferring money from Bangkok bank to my accounts at other Thai banks when I need it and I've never had a problem.

12 minutes ago, Dan5 said:

As soon as I did a transfer from my American bank to Bangkok Bank, Bangkok Bank disabled my ATM card for that account. It was my understanding that once you transfer money internationally to Bangkok Bank, you can't have an ATM card for that account. You have to transfer money to another account, either at Bangkok Bank or another bank to use an ATM card. I've been transferring money from the USA to Bangkok Bank for years and then transferring money from Bangkok bank to my accounts at other Thai banks when I need it and I've never had a problem.

That didn't occur when I did a transfer about 4 years ago. I wonder if that's something new. My account with BKK Bank is a savings account, what is yours?

I did an international transfer from the UK to my Bangkok Bank savings account on Feb 15th 2017 and withdraw with my ATM card, no problems !

I transfer money from my US account to my Bangkok Bank account all the time, most recently last month. I have a Bangkok Bank ATM which I use all the time also, most recently this week, so your experience is very strange. Is it possible that Bangkok Bank mistakenly think this is a transfer from Social Security? If you had set up a special account to receive SS payments then this could not be accessed by ATM. However, this would have meant you are using such an account, which most probably you are not. But this is the only explanation I can think of.

I did a large transfer today from UK to Bangkok Bank and then they did me a guaranteed check to a car dealership. No problems with using the ATM after from my savings account. I have been very impressed with the staff at Sikhio very easy to open an account and great service. Same with the Amphur and immigration at Choke Chai only been here a couple of weeks and have bank, yellow book TM30 all sorted out. I got offered Thai ID today at the Amphur but decided to do it another day. All in all super service.

Sent from my Studio G HD LTE using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

32 minutes ago, neilrob said:

I transfer money from my US account to my Bangkok Bank account all the time, most recently last month. I have a Bangkok Bank ATM which I use all the time also, most recently this week, so your experience is very strange. Is it possible that Bangkok Bank mistakenly think this is a transfer from Social Security? If you had set up a special account to receive SS payments then this could not be accessed by ATM. However, this would have meant you are using such an account, which most probably you are not. But this is the only explanation I can think of.

Why is SS money being transferred into a BKK Bank account not be accessible using the local BKK Bank ATM machines? Is there something I don't know as I would think that any $$, no matter the origin, deposited into a BBK Bank account would be accessible by local ATMs.

2 hours ago, Dan5 said:

They don't disable your ATM/debit card just because you transfer money from outside of Thailand.  Probably another problem with your bank account or debit card.   

Now if you had the special Bangkok Bank Direct Deposit savings account which is needed for U.S. govt payments such as social security, military retirement, etc., it does not even come with a debit card.  You can use your Bankgok Bank ibanking to see the account and even transfer money into it via ibanking, but you can not withdraw/transfer via ibanking.

Yea, something else is going on with your bank account/debit card.  Contact Bangkok Bank for the reason.

On 24/01/2017 at 0:06 AM, PhDEducation said:

Since 2014, to present day,  but not every month, my account has been hacked. I've taken so many precautions it's to the point of becoming  ridiculous. Closed all accounts and reopened at a different branch, cancelled all ATM cards and issued new ones on many occasions. Now, recently move to another branch and yes, hacked! This is becoming costly and very  inconvenient when doing my banking.  

Police reports, arguing slightly to try to make them understand the situation but somehow and some way, it becomes my fault! Today was just another glorious day at the bank, the manager insisted that according to their SYSTEM, I withdrew monies from the ATM at an really early morning time. Knowingly that my money was not safe I removed my Thai baht and left a balance of 126 baht. When I checked my bank book, 4000 was withdrawn and put me at an negative balance. My question was, how do I withdraw 4000 with a balance of 126? Reply: " the system was offline and it did not know your balance!"  I am not exaggerating this was my reply! Now they are suppose to check the CCTV but not all ATM's have these cameras. If they are somewhat telling the truth, go and use your ATM cards at 3:00 am and withdraw monies that you don't have! 

The police were actually very helpful and rather honest, saying that the bank will try to keep your money but they are  responsible for money being taken from your account. Now the question arises, why are you still doing business at that bank? Answer, I need a Thai bank located in the USA! 

Does anyone know of a way to receive monies from the US that does not include the Bangkok Bank? I'm becoming rather frustrated with the skimming of my ATM Card, Foreign Currency Deposit Account, and  a regular account all,of which is being hacked! 

Thank you

Where is your ATM card? Recall hearing of one falang - similar situation - turns out gf had taught her 2yo to remember the numbers 'pappa' put into the ATM, carrying her on his arm - simple then for her to 'borrow' ATM card when FL asleep -

19 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

Why is SS money being transferred into a BKK Bank account not be accessible using the local BKK Bank ATM machines? Is there something I don't know as I would think that any $$, no matter the origin, deposited into a BBK Bank account would be accessible by local ATMs.

Direct deposit of SS money into a Bangkok Bank account has to go into an account with no ATM withdrawal allowed as part of an agreement between the US gov't and BB. Money direct deposited in this way can only be withdrawn in person.

3 hours ago, neilrob said:

Direct deposit of SS money into a Bangkok Bank account has to go into an account with no ATM withdrawal allowed as part of an agreement between the US gov't and BB. Money direct deposited in this way can only be withdrawn in person.

Many thanks as I didn't know this. Can you also tell me is this just true for BBK Bank or are all the Thai banks like that?

Bangkok Bank is the only Thai bank with the U.S. Automated Clearing House (ACH) receiving capability.  ACH is the primary funds transfer method used in the U.S.  The U.S. govt uses ACH to pay social security benefits, military retirement benefits, tax refunds, etc...etc...etc.  ACH is used by U.S. banks/financial companies to do low cost transfers compared to high cost Wire/SWIFT transfers.

Bangkok Bank is the only Thai bank with the special Direct Deposit savings account to receive U.S. govt payments via ACH.  You can also send regular transfers from your U.S. bank to a Bangkok Bank Direct Deposit account if desired.  

But keep in mind with this Direct Deposit account you do not get ATM/Debit card access nor can you use ibanking to transfer funds "out" for the account.  The only way to withdraw/transfer funds is by in-person visit to a  Bangkok Bank branch.

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Bangkok Bank is the only Thai bank with the U.S. Automated Clearing House (ACH) receiving capability.  ACH is the primary funds transfer method used in the U.S.  The U.S. govt uses ACH to pay social security benefits, military retirement benefits, tax refunds, etc...etc...etc.  ACH is used by U.S. banks/financial companies to do low cost transfers compared to high cost Wire/SWIFT transfers.

Bangkok Bank is the only Thai bank with the special Direct Deposit savings account to receive U.S. govt payments via ACH.  You can also send regular transfers from your U.S. bank to a Bangkok Bank Direct Deposit account if desired.  

But keep in mind with this Direct Deposit account you do not get ATM/Debit card access nor can you use ibanking to transfer funds "out" for the account.  The only way to withdraw/transfer funds is by in-person visit to a  Bangkok Bank branch.

Thx again for the info, I appreciate it...  I do know the difference between ACH and SWIFT transfers but I didn't realize that SS used ACH (as I'm still about a decade away from filing for it) and I wasn't aware that BKK Bank was the only Thai bank setup for ACH transfers....  again, many thanks!

That is all true, and why it is best to get SS in a US Bank...then do a free transfer to BKKBANK NY quarterly to reduce fees by 75% and not have to go to the branch.  Of course, those who live month to month cannot enjoy this savings.  While the BKK Bank is a great way to get money here, it is clearly not the best bank to stash your 800k, etc..  I am getting 1.5% paid monthly, with no withholding,  a free ATM card that I can use for free at any Thai ATM, and 6000 others in ASEAN...and lounge access at Swampy, PP, SING, and KL.  Many here thrive on the hard way, personally, I like free money, and not getting taken advantage of by financial institutions.

Even if a person wants to get his monthly U.S. govt payment every month like social security, military/civil servant retirement, etc., and if the person still has a U.S. bank account which provides free/low cost ACH transfers, it would be best to go the route described by KhonKaenKowboy.  

Just have an automatic transfer setup which transfers an approx equal amount to your "regular" savings account at Bangkok Bank.  A regular savings account that does allow a debit card and ibanking transfers out versus a Direct Deposit savings account which does not come with a debit card or ibanking transfer out capability and requires you to appear in person to withdraw/transfer funds...and the Direct Deposit account can be in your name only; no joint accounts.   When you do it this way the funds arriving your Bangkok Bank account are just a regular transfer-in from your bank/from you and not coded as a U.S. govt payment.  

The transfer fees charged by Bangkok Bank NY and your in-Thailand Bangkok Bank branch are identical to as if the funds were sent directly from the U.S. govt.   There could be a Sending bank ACH fee by your bank, but if it's like all my primary U.S. banks they do not charge anything to send an ACH transfer.  But some U.S. banks do charge a Sending fee.

Some may wonder how does Bangkok Bank know it's a U.S. govt payment?  Well, that will be included in the description and other transfer coding you the customer don't see that describes from who and for what the transfer is for.  No human eyes are required to spot this; the receiving bank's computer system sees this info/coding.

When I first arrived Thailand like many other new farangs retiring to Thailand I wanted to minimize fees in getting money from the U.S. to Thailand and also get it frequently versus doing one large transfers several times per year.   As a military retiree I decided that I would just go with have my military retirement pay direct deposited to my Bangkok Bank regular savings account.  

Called my pension payment agency up, gave them the Bangkok Bank NY branch routing number and my in-Thailand Bangkok Bank savings account and the following month my retirement payment showed no problem...ditto for the second month.  Then on the third month I think it was the payment didn't show-up on time....I waited a few days...still no payment....I waited a week and still no payment and was getting ready to call Bangkok Bank and my pension payment agency to ask "where is my monthly payment."

But before I called I got a letter in the mail from Bangkok Bank that my U.S. govt payment posting to my account was on-hold since it was a reoccurring U.S. govt payment and I needed to come in an open a Direct Deposit account to have those funds deposited to and for future payment, otherwise, the payment would be sent back to the U.S. govt in approx two weeks.   Summary: it only took Bangkok Bank a couple of months to spot these monthly payments were U.S. govt payments.

I went in, opened a Direct Deposit account, they released the on-hold funds into the new account that day, I gave my pension payment agency the new account number, and I got a few more payments to my Direct Deposit account no problem until I decided to stop using that method because I had arranged better/cheaper ways to get funds through use of no foreign transaction fee debit cards that also reimbursed ATM fees...and later I also started using counter withdrawals just to avoid my U.S. bank having to reimburse a rip-off Thai bank foreign card ATM fee.  

I still have that Direct Deposit account and exercise it occasionally with some local deposits and withdrawals just to keep it active, but I never used it again for U.S. govt payments....but I may in the future as life and the world changes.  

The Direct Deposit account does not cost me even a baht to keep open since there is no annual debit card fee (remember no card is allowed) and it pays interest just like a regular savings account as long as the bank coded your account as a resident in Thailand versus a tourist/short-stay person (a.k.a., non-resident).   This kind of coding, resident or non-resident,  happens on any regular savings account as I occasionally see posts were people are not earning any interest on their account until they go back to their bank branch to get the coding fixed....which usually requires you to show a long-term visa/extension of stay or Work Permit.  And some branches just seem to not want to pay interest to a farang regardless of having a long term visa/being a resident/etc...those are just not farang-friendly branches.

The plan that KKK outlines is really very good.  Set up for your SS benefit to be deposited into your U.S. account (no need to show up in person to claim it; joint accounts are just fine) and then once a quarter or whatever, have funds sent over to your Bangkok Bank account via a recurring ACH transfer that you set up with the internet banking function of your U.S. bank/credit union.  

Amazingly, Hubby's pension from a Fortune 50 or maybe it's even  Fortune 10 company can be direct deposited into our joint Bangkok Bank account without any hassle.  No concerns that it's a joint account with an ATM card.  No bothersome annual letters about wheher he's still alive.  Maybe because they figure I'll contact them to get my widow benefit.

Meanwhile, we have his SS deposited to a joint account in the U.S. where it accumulates.(no such restrictions about joint accounts or internet access of accounts in the U.S. for SSA deposit)  Sometimes we want to bring that money into Thailand and it's a simple ACH transfer.  If we wanted, we could go with the plan that KKK outline of having a set amount transferred every three months, but we haven't done that.  Just really haven't needed that much to live here. 

why do OPs  , write something, then never opine back another comment.  sure makes it looks like they are anti-BBL trolls, to me. 

I guess it sparks various tangents/stories  from the  TV gang, but seems incoherant IMHO. 

no further follow up what "hacked" means,  sounds like  some misinformed vocabulary usage to me,   just take everything offline, no ATM card, probably solved if its that bad ........sigh

PS new brand of skimmers called shimmers, beware of any and all ATMs in LOS, stick to the one outside a branch perhaps,  keep small amounts in the main ATM account ........... https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/01/atm-shimmers-target-chip-based-cards/        cover your hand when you enter your PIN  55

This person actually took the time to sign up, create a Thai visa account so he can talk some ssshhh... about one of the banks. 

And he actually named himself phdeducation but no speakie english properly. 

Why do some people consider it so important to make fun of themselves? 

Thanks for the laughs. 

On 1/23/2017 at 11:11 PM, elektrified said:

Why Bangkok Bank? Why not another bank?

There are numerous money transfer methods. Just google and read through all the different online methods/mobile apps to see which one is best for you.

I never use my ATM...

On ‎24‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 0:07 PM, sharktooth said:

Kasikorn text me after every transaction so it is very easy to keep on top of. Customer Service on phone banking speak perfect English and are very helpful. More so than most international banks.

Bangkok bank does the same

Been with BKK bank for twenty years - no problems with scams as yet and use all facilities.

Re transferring money from my US bank - they do have a set up for transferring money from CapOne bank to my BKK Bk account with no fees from CapOne and while using this service, the rate I received was pretty close to the posted exchange rate.  Now I have direct deposit of my SS so have not used the transfer in quite a while.  However, a friend was having problems and was told by CapOne that it no longer did the transfers.  So I transferred 100 US dollars here this week as a test, it worked but there were a little over 300 baht in charges somewhere??  Is BKK Bank trying to do us in??

11 minutes ago, snooky said:

Been with BKK bank for twenty years - no problems with scams as yet and use all facilities.

Re transferring money from my US bank - they do have a set up for transferring money from CapOne bank to my BKK Bk account with no fees from CapOne and while using this service, the rate I received was pretty close to the posted exchange rate.  Now I have direct deposit of my SS so have not used the transfer in quite a while.  However, a friend was having problems and was told by CapOne that it no longer did the transfers.  So I transferred 100 US dollars here this week as a test, it worked but there were a little over 300 baht in charges somewhere??  Is BKK Bank trying to do us in??

You would think someone using Bangkok Bank for 20 years would know their fee structure for ACH transfers from U.S. banks.  This fee structure has been in place for a long, long time.  Below it is from the Bangkok Bank website.   And the fees apply to U.S. govt benefit payments also such as social security benefits.    It's a sliding scale fee structure....the more you send the more the fee.

That little over Bt300 fees consisted of $3.00 (approx Bt103 depending on exchange rate at the time) sliced-off as the funds flowed through their NY branch since you are using their ACH routing number and then the $97 that arrived your in-Thailand Bangkok Bank account incurred another Bt200 fee...for a total of a little over Bt300.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUSA/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUSA.aspx

Capture.JPG.bf9e4f5f43e8586109fe39f235e6a97e.JPG

On 3/25/2017 at 6:36 PM, KhonKaenKowboy said:

One credit union I deal with that does free ACH, identified BKKBANK NY as an intermediary bank and I couldn't complete the transaction.  Capital one or Capitalone360 is free and works great.

My friend is having problems with Cap 360 - they won't do the free transfer anymore for him - he has been on the phone with them a dozen times but they had sent him a msg last Oct saying this policy was rescinded.  I hope you are having better luck than him.  I am still using the regular CapOne which seems to be working OK.

1 hour ago, snooky said:

My friend is having problems with Cap 360 - they won't do the free transfer anymore for him - he has been on the phone with them a dozen times but they had sent him a msg last Oct saying this policy was rescinded.  I hope you are having better luck than him.  I am still using the regular CapOne which seems to be working OK.

I did it a few weeks ago.....maybe I am grandfathered in...

5 hours ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

I did it a few weeks ago.....maybe I am grandfathered in...

Thanks for your reply.  As I mentioned in an earlier message, I too, have had no problem with the transfer from my CapOne checking account to Bangkok.  Am wondering specifically if you have the regular CapOne or the CapOne 360 as you mentioned both in your previous message.  If you opened the account while physically in a branch of the bank it probably would be the regular CapOne.  My friend opened his account online, therefore a CapOne 360 (as I was told by a knowledgeable agent one day);  two separate entities operating under the same name with different rules for each.  Trying not to belabor the question but until his SS starts coming in he is having difficulty getting money from his US account over here without incurring large charges.  And thanks to some other posters regarding transfers which are relatively cost free, I would like to ask you the name of some of these banks in the US where this could be done.

Archived