Python "pedestrian" precipitates pick-up pile up

webfact

Python "pedestrian" precipitates pick-up pile up

4a.jpg

Picture: Thairath

BANGKOK: -- A python slithering across the road in northern Thailand caused a five vehicle pile up on Monday.

The first vehicle - driven by Tossaphon Phondongnork in a pick-up - braked suddenly to avoid flattening the snake. Two more pick-ups, a minvan and a car all collided with each other behind the initial vehicle, reports Thairath.

"I didn't want to kill the snake," said Tossaphon, "so I decided to brake".

The accident happened on the Kamphaengphet to Sukhothai Road.

All of the vehicles had insurance so police decided to take no further action.

Tharath reported tongue in cheek that the snake disappeared into the woods "without taking responsibility" for the accident.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-01-24

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

"All of the vehicles had insurance so police decided to take no further action."

Why were the 4 drivers behind the first pickup not given a ticket for driving to close ?

Why indeed..........................morons, never  learn never  will,  the  last  snake  clip  looks  like  a king  cobra  to me with  the  yellow  bands  underneath stuck  in the  wheel arch,  different story  i  guess

Edited by kannot

2 hours ago, Don Mega said:

"All of the vehicles had insurance so police decided to take no further action."

Why were the 4 drivers behind the first pickup not given a ticket for driving to close ?

2nd and 3rd did nothing wrong. The idea of leaving a safe braking distance in front is to counter for any human delay and difference in braking capability with the car in front. When you actually do have to brake hard this gap closes up so you can't make any judgments about it from post accident scene. The simplest explanation is that the 2nd and 3rd vehicles broke in time while the 4th vehicle hit causing them each to hit the vehicle in front. Anything beyond this requires evidence to substantiate it.

So in Thailand the 4th vehicle is at fault for all the damage.

29 minutes ago, wprime said:

2nd and 3rd did nothing wrong. The idea of leaving a safe braking distance in front is to counter for any human delay and difference in braking capability with the car in front. When you actually do have to brake hard this gap closes up so you can't make any judgments about it from post accident scene. The simplest explanation is that the 2nd and 3rd vehicles broke in time while the 4th vehicle hit causing them each to hit the vehicle in front. Anything beyond this requires evidence to substantiate it.

So in Thailand the 4th vehicle is at fault for all the damage.

wow braking hard closes the gap, who woulda thunk it !!

12 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

wow braking hard closes the gap, who woulda thunk it !!

Obviously you didn't considering you argued the 2nd and 3rd cars have responsibility. In some US states this would be the case but it's not in Thailand. If no other evidence exists, the furthest rear vehicle is at fault for all damages. 

Edited by wprime

The big winner here is the Python, the losers are the four travelling to close behind the vehicle in front , indirectly the snake has installed some new found knowledge, which should serve as a lesson , don't ever try and predict what the vehicle in front is going to do.....................:coffee1: 

5 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Sudden and unanticipated stop.  It's an exception to the rule that the following drivers are responsible for a rear-end collision.

18 minutes ago, zaphod reborn said:

Sudden and unanticipated stop.  It's an exception to the rule that the following drivers are responsible for a rear-end collision.

So your saying the guy who braked for the snake is the one responsible ?

5 hours ago, Don Mega said:

That would be for the police to decide... oh wait.. 

1 minute ago, Don Mega said:

So your saying the guy who braked for the snake is the one responsible ?

Absolutely !

Considering the possibility of human casualties, the life of the snake isn't even a consideration.

In many western countries the first driver would be guilty of dangerous driving.

Yes, the snake is majestic, but it's only a snake.

1 minute ago, malt25 said:

Absolutely !

Considering the possibility of human casualties, the life of the snake isn't even a consideration.

In many western countries the first driver would be guilty of dangerous driving.

Yes, the snake is majestic, but it's only a snake.

But don't you have a right to break at any time? The cars behind must keep a safe distance.

Edited by hobz

4 hours ago, seahorse said:

I would have just driven over it. And I'm an animal lover.

This a Buddhist country where belief in reincarnation is prevalent. It may have been his brother in another life so absolutely understandable he didn't want to harm it

Last year there was a small snake on the road in our moobaan. I stopped to have a close look at it and while i was standing there looking at the snake a Fortuner passed and drove full over it right infront of me.

Why do they stop for big snakes and soidogs and don't give a duck about motocy-drivers?

9 hours ago, Don Mega said:

In the UK they would have been held responsible for driving too close, thus causing the accident. But not in Tailgate Thailand. Refer to my post re 'braking distances' not being taught at driving schools/test centres here.