British man assassinated in gangland hit in Pattaya

Jonathan Fairfield

wow, look what the Sun writes:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2711874/british-businessman-tony-kenway-shot-thailand-boiler-room-scam/

if that's true, well done the Sun!

the only blooper in the sun is, they believe the red circle on the photo shows the gun, but what is circled is the sticker from the bike rental, lol.

funny how they say the Thai wife was oblivious to Kenway's activities... that's just the way most Thai wives and girlfriends are. they support whoever is good to them.

I expect the perps will be arrested in Cambodia.

and... do you believe the hit has been ordered by a third person? this infamous "Mr. Toby" who allegedly owed Kenway 8 million baht?

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, manarak said:

Interesting article and well done by the New Zealand paper.

Seems there are some journalists left after all and not all are just copy-paste "research & rephrase" monkeys.

Especially the part about the wolves is interesting and seems to confirm my first instincts about this not being a case with Thai roots.

I wonder if the two perps lost all of their money and maybe more with unlucky sports bets.

To clarify it is a South African paper. I saw a report saying the Brit hitman had lived in Thailand for three years and before that worked at a call ctr in Spain. It could be that he was an associate or employee of Kenway.

2 minutes ago, pegman said:

To clarify it is a South African paper. I saw a report saying the Brit hitman had lived in Thailand for three years and before that worked at a call ctr in Spain. It could be that he was an associate or employee of Kenway.

sorry, I misread the paper's domain.

it could be of course that the Brit was an associate or employee, but he would have been a bit young then and also much time has passed since then.

but the manager of "arcanus solutions" is definitely a spaniard from malaga.

1 hour ago, manarak said:

funny how they say the Thai wife was oblivious to Kenway's activities... that's just the way most Thai wives and girlfriends are. they support whoever is good to them.

Maybe your personal experience rewarded you with that broad brush... or it may just be anecdotal.

The mothers and family members of Mark Duggan and his ilk all claim they were "lovely boys, life and soul of the party, wouldn't hurt a fly" type of nonsense.

FWIW, the amazingly beautiful, wonderfully talented and incredibly clever Mrs NL has absolutely no clue about my previous life in Hollywood where I taught the superstars and directors all they needed to know about Special Ops from my days with MI6 where I infiltrated Mossad. She still thinks I am just a retired cheese mechanic from Dunbar.

I haven't told her about my Olympic medals yet.

25 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Maybe your personal experience rewarded you with that broad brush... or it may just be anecdotal.

The mothers and family members of Mark Duggan and his ilk all claim they were "lovely boys, life and soul of the party, wouldn't hurt a fly" type of nonsense.

FWIW, the amazingly beautiful, wonderfully talented and incredibly clever Mrs NL has absolutely no clue about my previous life in Hollywood where I taught the superstars and directors all they needed to know about Special Ops from my days with MI6 where I infiltrated Mossad. She still thinks I am just a retired cheese mechanic from Dunbar.

By different occasions, I have come to know some details about the life of more than a handful of shady characters in Thailand, among which drug dealers, thieves, conmen, power brokers, etc... every time and for every single one their wifes and/or girlfriends defended and protected them.

The sample doesn't only include shady characters of Thai nationality, but also foreigners.

The wives and girls just play stupid, they are being loyal to who has been good to them.

I can tell you for 100% certainty that he was heavily involved in the boiler rooms and was paying off the police . This was karma at its finest . No one deserves to die and no one deserves to lose their life savings of toil and hard work to some little grease ball of a salesman . Hopefully the corrupt old bill will be forced to clamp down on these slime balls .

I can tell you for 100% certainty that he was heavily involved in the boiler rooms and was paying off the police . This was karma at its finest . No one deserves to die and no one deserves to lose their life savings of toil and hard work to some little grease ball of a salesman . Hopefully the corrupt old bill will be forced to clamp down on these slime balls .

Yes, probably a level of paying off police etc, but that is the attraction of Thailand, very easy to fly under the radar. You only need internet access. Customers are outside Thailand, money gets moved around outside Thailand etc. If you have a fake front business and don't drive around in a Porsche and fight with partners, they can go unnoticed for years.

I still get phone calls sometimes from the boiler room scam artist operations as they pass around a persons contact number by way of selling the long list of peoples numbers to other boiler room operations.

As soon as you hear the sales pitch coming from an English speaking Asian sounding voice ( usually Filipino ) you just know it is one of the scam routines.

I just hang up ...but...... a few times I decided to chastise them and shouted at them for being fools and working for a boiler room operation and telling them how they will go down and go to jail or prison but your scum bag bosses will walk free and tell them ...find another form of employment.

Supposedly they pay telephone operators very well so they will stay on even if they know what is really going on while I can only surmise some of them or many of them really do not know what is going on and they are kept somewhat separate from the criminal bosses that orchestrate the scam.

The call operators commonly believe they are working for a legitimate financial entity of some sort while the pay is good for sitting there and contacting people and trying to  hold the potential marks attention long enough to get more info so they can  work the target up to a higher level and convincing the target they should invest their money through their investment vehicles and platforms....which is really just another boiler room scam.

Some of them are quite elaborate and they actually pay you with some profitable returns on your investment, in the beginning,  and have you hooked for the bigger killing soon to come if you keep on investing with them.

IF this guy was involved and knowingly involved and decidedly ignoring all that is entailed for his own greedy profiteering while self absolving himself of any wrong doing while arguing he was just a service provider of some sort to the ongoing and orchestrated boiler room financial scam affair and claims it is not my operation and I am just the IT guy ...and all the usual self serving excuses ...then most people have no sympathy for the man if it turns out to be true as to his involvement in a financial scam of any kind.

Obviously something was run amuck such that he was murdered for the part he played while the chance of the man been murdered by random chance and a victim by random chance is highly unlikely.

Commonly boiler room operations are not small money ( 10, 15 , 20 million dollars ) while the amount of money at stake would incite more people than you would think to perpetrate murder to keep what they adamantly argue is theirs to protect and theirs to keep......regardless of how criminal and nefarious their particular form of money making is.

Cheers

1 hour ago, manarak said:

By different occasions, I have come to know some details about the life of more than a handful of shady characters in Thailand, among which drug dealers, thieves, conmen, power brokers, etc... every time and for every single one their wifes and/or girlfriends defended and protected them.

The sample doesn't only include shady characters of Thai nationality, but also foreigners.

The wives and girls just play stupid, they are being loyal to who has been good to them.

And the thrust of my comment was that this aspect of maternal love is NOT unique to Thai mothers, wives and girlfriends.

Paternal love can be pretty strong too as the following comment from a family member of the alleged shooter taken from here.

Despite the allegations‚ Abel's uncle Jose‚ who was responsible for raising him after his father died‚ said he was incapable of doing something like that.

"He is a good Catholic boy. He has never hurt anyone in his life‚" Jose said.

"We just cannot believe what we have heard. Abel is definitely not a mobster or a hitman‚ that's for sure‚" he said.

From that it would appear that Thai wives and South African uncles share the same blind adulation for those that take care of them.

30 minutes ago, gemguy said:

Well.....then that is more than likely the beginning of the end and soon to be a cold case

I think they will be more pissed that they lost their cash cow ? The BIB wouldn't of given a toss if it would of been joe blow . I know for a fact that most of the criminals that used to head to the costas have now made thailand their home . From international drug smugglers to fraudsters and everything in between . I think we all know how easy it is to move money in Thailand and then pay for a house /car with unaccountable cash . Easy as anything no questions asked . 

8 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Hence the claim that this is actually nothing to do with highly profitable boiler rooms and actually due to some football gambling websites.

SShhh - don't mention the boiler rooms.

He probably did have a gambling site, but most likely it was not created to actually make a profit. Instead it was created to lure people to invest money into it via a boiler room scam.

If you're going to scam someone it's better if they believe they actually invested in something which exists. Then when they don't make a return on their investment, you can simply claim the site didn't make a profit/went bankrupt/someone won on their bets/any other excuse not to pay the investor.

So yes, you're probably right.

1 minute ago, Bulldozer Dawn said:

Why did someone hire Laurel and Hardy as the hitmen?

Goes to show you that it was up front and personal. Some people just don't take the theft of their money lying down. If it was a business conflict it would have no doubt played out different. 

1 hour ago, elgordo38 said:

Goes to show you that it was up front and personal. Some people just don't take the theft of their money lying down. If it was a business conflict it would have no doubt played out different. 

That's what I reckon too. I don't think Caldeira knew Kenway and seems to have tracked him down by using a public review Kenway wrote for the Sanit Gym on his Facebook page. Someone wrote yesterday that the two suspects had been hanging around that gym carpark for a few days. That would explain what they had been doing in Thailand since the 19th. If it was someone close to Kenway then surely they would know where he lives and have had it done in a more discreet way. 

Turner has a Spanish company with a dodgy sounding name for the categories it is listed in. Renewable Media sounds half energy company and half media company and it was listed in categories for property and construction. He also worked in a call center in Spain which suggests he was at least in the same line of business as Kenway. So it's easier to link Turner than Caldeira. The latter seems to have been a decent, religious person and his stepfather was adamant he was not a gangster or hitman. Maybe one of Kenway's competitors had tipped off Caldeira - an ex-client (ie victim) that had been stung by Kenyway - about Kenway whereabouts and agreed to provide a driver (Turner) to help him take revenge.

Things started to go downhill fast for Kenway. Busted in September and then killed in January. It seems that pressure was coming from somewhere. 

That's what I reckon too. I don't think Caldeira knew Kenway and seems to have tracked him down by using a public review Kenway wrote for the Sanit Gym on his Facebook page. Someone wrote yesterday that the two suspects had been hanging around that gym carpark for a few days. That would explain what they had been doing in Thailand since the 19th. If it was someone close to Kenway then surely they would know where he lives and have had it done in a more discreet way. 

Turner has a Spanish company with a dodgy sounding name for the categories it is listed in. Renewable Media sounds half energy company and half media company and it was listed in categories for property and construction. He also worked in a call center in Spain which suggests he was at least in the same line of business as Kenway. So it's easier to link Turner than Caldeira. The latter seems to have been a decent, religious person and his stepfather was adamant he was not a gangster or hitman. Maybe one of Kenway's competitors had tipped off Caldeira - an ex-client (ie victim) that had been stung by Kenyway - about Kenway whereabouts and agreed to provide a driver (Turner) to help him take revenge.

Things started to go downhill fast for Kenway. Busted in September and then killed in January. It seems that pressure was coming from somewhere. 

Not sure if you have read the news reports, it has been established that caldeira and Turner were both business partners of the victim. They all ran a boiler room together. They owed the victim a large sum of money. The victim was facing court for the boiler room and was calling for the two to be arrested.

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

Not sure if you have read the news reports, it has been established that caldeira and Turner were both business partners of the victim. They all ran a boiler room together. They owed the victim a large sum of money. The victim was facing court for the boiler room and was calling for the two to be arrested.

so kenway was a grass as well as a con man???????????????

3 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I've been reading tonnes of reports :-) This thing has been strangely fascinating. I haven't yet read of a direct link between the two suspects and the victim. Some reports mention an ex-business partner named Mr. Toby but they say it is not clear if this is related. Kenway had plenty of enemies according a Thai police source that spoke with the Sun newspaper. 

Just now, LandOfWiles said:

I've been reading tonnes of reports :-) This thing has been strangely fascinating. I haven't yet read of a direct link between the two suspects and the victim. Some reports mention an ex-business partner named Mr. Toby but they say it is not clear if this is related. Kenway had plenty of enemies according a Thai police source that spoke with the Sun newspaper. 

Story in the BKK paper that cant be quoted. And yes, it is facinating.

3 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Story in the BKK paper that cant be quoted. And yes, it is facinating.

Ah, I read this one too. But it only says It was believed regarding a link to the ex-business partner. If it was the work of an ex-partner you would think that they would have been able to find Kenway quicker. They were in Thailand for 5-6 days. The fact that they had to make do with a carpark in broad daylight suggests they didn't know him that well.  

I've just read on that same paper that Thailand has yet to make an official request for help from Cambodia and until they do it seems that no one is looking for the suspects. That strikes me as a bit odd...

1 minute ago, LandOfWiles said:

Ah, I read this one too. But it only says It was believed regarding a link to the ex-business partner. If it was the work of an ex-partner you would think that they would have been able to find Kenway quicker. They were in Thailand for 5-6 days. The fact that they had to make do with a carpark in broad daylight suggests they didn't know him that well.  

I've just read on that same paper that Thailand has yet to make an official request for help from Cambodia and until they do it seems that no one is looking for the suspects. That strikes me as a bit odd...

I think the carpark makes sense, if he lived in a gated estate it would be hard to get to him at home. Wife could ID them etc. They just hung around the place were they knew he went 2-3 times a week. Or followed him there.

There is a lot of fragmented information out there, variations in each news story, even on Thaivisa there are 3-4 threads running.

Archived