British man assassinated in gangland hit in Pattaya

Jonathan Fairfield

23 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

So you are saying the weapon used is unknown and the .38 casing is from a prior assassination, gunfight, or just target practice in the same parking lot?

No, I'm not saying any such thing. My post arose from two previous posts. One, as far as I could tell, was questioning the validity of reports of a .38 casing being found by pointing out that it would be unusual to find a casing of that calibre, the second was asking why the size of the casing would make any difference. I was reiterating the point the first poster had made that the size matters because .38 casings are not normally ejected so would not typically be found at the scene of this kind of shooting.

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe on this site but dose the average BBC reader think like that. I bet most don't know anything about Pattaya. Just a cheap headline if you ask me.

Are you Rich or is it you name?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I would think the average person in the UK who watches BBC news etc wouldn't give a monkeys about some dodgy guy getting shot inThailand, more than likely say good riddance.

In fact everyday am in contact with people from all walks of life in the UK and not one has asked me about this shooting. It has just been on Radio 2 news again.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

22 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Very true - however the poster, as far as I'm aware was taking the view that it was unlikely to be a .38 automatic, as (according to him, at least) they are much less commonly found. 

There are some people saying it could be a single shot home made setup. common in Thailand they say.

Some posts have been removed

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

These restrictions are put in place by the above publications, not Thaivisa.com
In rare cases, forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources under special permission.

4 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

In a hired van/car, about four hours to Trat and another hour to the border itself in Had Lek.

Worth mentioning is the idea they rented and returned the motorcycle to the vendor, for the deposit? and were in town for several days casing it all out we can assume. 

I recall reading in a linked article that the motorbike was found abandoned. I also recall reading that the gym cctv indicated they pair had been hanging about the parking lot on the 2 days before the hit. This and leaving the country within 4 hours of the shooting does indicate a certain degree of planning.

8 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I recall reading in a linked article that the motorbike was found abandoned. I also recall reading that the gym cctv indicated they pair had been hanging about the parking lot on the 2 days before the hit. This and leaving the country within 4 hours of the shooting does indicate a certain degree of planning.

That's interesting. I did not believe the disgruntled ex-partner talk that has been bandied about the media. After reading your post above that the suspects had been waiting around the gym for a few days I checked Kenway's Facebook page again and found a review for the Sanit Sports club that he left a year ago

This, it seems, was their only lead which I think rules out it being anyone that knew him well.

17 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

A degree of very poor planning ... you'd have thought they would have given a little more thought to this ... they left more breadcrumb trails than Hansel & Gretel. 

23 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

A degree of very poor planning ... you'd have thought they would have given a little more thought to this ... they left more breadcrumb trails than Hansel & Gretel. 

Now i know the completed the task, but they do strike me as being the Dumb and Dumber of the hit-men industry

25 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

Planning is what a competitor might do tactically to take a rival out. In this case, it looks like revenge at all costs and I bet someone has been stung badly in the run up to this.  

8 hours ago, YeahSiam said:

Have you seen direct evidence that a foreigner driving an expensive sportscar is more likely to have problems?

Isn't it more likely that you're imposing some sort of bias acquired, perhaps, in your home country where someone might realistically been more susceptible to a beating or a robbery?

A guy driving a Porsche in parts of England would likely have it keyed by jealous louts when he parked it overnight.

Thais tend to respond positively to nice things, not sneer in envy like Westerners do

You're welcome to keep you head buried deep in the sand.

If you think it's safe to drive around in exotic sports cars, don't let me stop you. 

I'm not interested in comparisons with England. There are more dangerous places than Thailand, I'm not arguing about that. A key scratch is a lot better than a bullet in the head.

13 minutes ago, tropo said:

You're welcome to keep you head buried deep in the sand.

If you think it's safe to drive around in exotic sports cars, don't let me stop you. 

I'm not interested in comparisons with England. There are more dangerous places than Thailand, I'm not arguing about that. A key scratch is a lot better than a bullet in the head.

And you're welcome to continue quivering in your sandals every time a Thai looks at you that little bit too long

38 minutes ago, LandOfWiles said:

Planning is what a competitor might do tactically to take a rival out. In this case, it looks like revenge at all costs and I bet someone has been stung badly in the run up to this.  

I wonder exactly what would drive two people to do this? It will all come out in the wash no doubt. The third guy has yet to be identified, but my money is on Baldrick*, who crafted the 'cunning plan'.

* For those that don't know, Baldrick is a character from the TV comedy show Blackadder, famous for his dismal 'cunning plans'.

On 1/24/2017 at 2:49 PM, Bulldozer Dawn said:

If you are rich enough to own a Porsche in Thailand, don't move here.

Move to a country that has rule of law.

Don't fall victim to Thainess.

A lesson to live simply, eh? 

19 minutes ago, YeahSiam said:

And you're welcome to continue quivering in your sandals every time a Thai looks at you that little bit too long

Don't think that taking precautions indicates I'm scared. It's sensible to be cautious in Thailand.  

To be honest, you scare me more because it's hard to reply without breaking forum rules. Just 3 words written: "asking for trouble" and you continue endlessly as though it's a war. You should review some of the irrational diatribe you've offered.

1 hour ago, AlexRich said:

Someone more expert can easily analyze how poor planning was done by the hitmen. 

5 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

I wonder exactly what would drive two people to do this? 

Being on the wrong side of a scam with no help from the authorities.

Boiler rooms flourish because it's very difficult to prosecute them, even when you have all the data. There is not enough international cooperation. If you want justice then you have to get it for yourself. 

6 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

In a hired van/car, about four hours to Trat and another hour to the border itself in Had Lek.

Worth mentioning is the idea they rented and returned the motorcycle to the vendor, for the deposit? and were in town for several days casing it all out we can assume. 

It is about 11 miles from the lake to Soi Pattaya Park. Traffic being what it is in Pattaya that could take 20-30 mins. I have driven to Koh Chang a couple times and also ran into terrible traffic. These guys likely would have needed a fast bike or 2 to make it to that border crossing by 15k. Catching a bus or van very unlikely. 

7 minutes ago, davethailand said:

It shows.  Its a 6 million bht + car.

:)

On Kenway's  FaceBook a friend asked how much he wanted for it. He replied 13. Doesn't the tariffs on luxury cars double the price?

It was reported in The Nation today that Kenway was bailed out in December. 

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30304925

"Police plan to question a police lieutenant-colonel from Provincial Police Region 3 who was reportedly close to Kenway and who had bailed the Briton out of Immigration Police custody last December, a high-ranking source at the Royal Thai Police revealed. "

This post has some interviews with the alleged killer's family

http://www.timeslive.co.za/local/2017/01/26/‘Not-our-Abel-he-is-a-good-Catholic-boy’-–-says-uncle-of-SA-man-linked-to-Thai-shooting

This seems to check out with what I had seen by browsing his Facebook profile. He shared a lot of quotes that suggested he knew wrong from right. He also shared a lot of religious quotes and so did his family and friends. This seems to be a case of a pissed-off victim rather than rival gang member.

49 minutes ago, pegman said:

On Kenway's  FaceBook a friend asked how much he wanted for it. He replied 13. Doesn't the tariffs on luxury cars double the price?

Not sure what its worth, I was guessing, his Audi was up for sale for 6.9 million so I guessed that the Porsche was around 6 million although your probably closer with 13.

26 minutes ago, davethailand said:

Not sure what its worth, I was guessing, his Audi was up for sale for 6.9 million so I guessed that the Porsche was around 6 million although your probably closer with 13.

UK price new around £75,000 ... double in Thailand, £150,000 = 6,600,000 Baht at the most ... but obviously much lower than that as it is second hand. 

2 hours ago, balo said:

I wonder what his mother and stepfather were doing in Cambodia all these years ?  Maybe they worked for a religious organization or something like that in PP. 

I came across no clues but his sister was repeatedly called teacher by khmer  FB friends.

4 hours ago, LandOfWiles said:

This post has some interviews with the alleged killer's family

http://www.timeslive.co.za/local/2017/01/26/‘Not-our-Abel-he-is-a-good-Catholic-boy’-–-says-uncle-of-SA-man-linked-to-Thai-shooting

This seems to check out with what I had seen by browsing his Facebook profile. He shared a lot of quotes that suggested he knew wrong from right. He also shared a lot of religious quotes and so did his family and friends. This seems to be a case of a pissed-off victim rather than rival gang member.

Interesting article and well done by the New Zealand paper.

Seems there are some journalists left after all and not all are just copy-paste "research & rephrase" monkeys.

Especially the part about the wolves is interesting and seems to confirm my first instincts about this not being a case with Thai roots.

I wonder if the two perps lost all of their money and maybe more with unlucky sports bets.

Archived