Former British PM Cameron to speak at global tourism summit in Bangkok

webfact

Former British PM Cameron to speak at global tourism summit in Bangkok
By   WATCHIRANONT THONGTEP
THE NATION

450c2a2c9b66e1b166d812b8ec674d2a.jpeg

File photo : Cameron//AFP

BANGKOK: -- FORMER BRITISH prime minister David Cameron has been invited to deliver speeches about key issues that might influence global tourism at the “World Travel and Tourism Council Global Summit”, which is scheduled to be held in Bangkok in April.

David Scowsill, president and chief executive officer of the World Travel and Tourism Council, said yesterday that Cameron would discuss some of the key geopolitical issues currently facing the world and how they affect tourism.

The WTTC Global Summit is scheduled to take place on April 26 and 27 under the theme of “transforming our world and how the sector’s contribution to sustainable development can be maximised”. 

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/business/EconomyAndTourism/30304844

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-01-25

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

I don't understand why they're getting Cameron to talk about tourism. What's the point ? It doesn't make any sense at all.

I know he's pretty popular with the Thais.

Don't worry, no one will understand what will be said.

1 minute ago, mikebell said:

I hope lots of UK pensioners attend and quiz him about frozen state pensions.  I raised the matter with an MP who raised it with Cameron; his answer - 'he's done the sums and won't budge.'

"......he's done the sums and won't budge.'"

Cameron won't, but Theresa may.

4 hours ago, ukrules said:

I don't understand why they're getting Cameron to talk about tourism. What's the point ? It doesn't make any sense at all.

I know he's pretty popular with the Thais.

Actually it makes a great deal of sense.The answer to your question is in fact contained in the report, namely that he will discuss the geo-political environment for tourism.He has only have just left office and thus will be on top of his subject with very recent intelligence briefings as well as his extensive experience of global politics at the top level.This kind of input is extremely useful for tourist industry business leaders in terms of planning and investment.I don't know about being popular with the Thais but he does have charm, good manners, poise and self confidence which tend to go down well here.He is an excellent speaker too.By way of background he is also extremely bright and was awarded first class honours at Oxford; his tutor there thought he was one of the most able students he had come across.Yes, I know he cocked up badly on Europe and that has damaged his reputation and legacy.But the issue here is why he is thought to be a valuable element of the forthcoming conference, and on that there is no doubt.As a secondary matter a big name draw like Cameron is most helpful in ensuring high level conference attendance.

Let's be honest.There's a a significant element of the expat community that simply can't abide any fellow countryman who is ultra posh.The hatred of poshness is so strong it tends to trump (can't think of a better word) politics.The odd thing is that many of these people identify very strongly with ruling elites in Thailand...but that's another story.

Maybe "brief" Thailand to expect less British tourists in future.

Unless they are prepared to accept potatoes, rather than cash, from the citizens of the new, Self Sufficient, Free Trading, "Great" Britain, that he initiated with his vote grabbing promise of a referendum..

Edited by Enoon

1 hour ago, jayboy said:

Actually it makes a great deal of sense.The answer to your question is in fact contained in the report, namely that he will discuss the geo-political environment for tourism.He has only have just left office and thus will be on top of his subject with very recent intelligence briefings as well as his extensive experience of global politics at the top level.This kind of input is extremely useful for tourist industry business leaders in terms of planning and investment.I don't know about being popular with the Thais but he does have charm, good manners, poise and self confidence which tend to go down well here.He is an excellent speaker too.By way of background he is also extremely bright and was awarded first class honours at Oxford; his tutor there thought he was one of the most able students he had come across.Yes, I know he cocked up badly on Europe and that has damaged his reputation and legacy.But the issue here is why he is thought to be a valuable element of the forthcoming conference, and on that there is no doubt.As a secondary matter a big name draw like Cameron is most helpful in ensuring high level conference attendance.

Let's be honest.There's a a significant element of the expat community that simply can't abide any fellow countryman who is ultra posh.The hatred of poshness is so strong it tends to trump (can't think of a better word) politics.The odd thing is that many of these people identify very strongly with ruling elites in Thailand...but that's another story.

Reputation, legacy. Ha......I don't care about how slick and posh he is, war in Libya, and

Brexit come to mind. He learned nothing from the Iraq debacle. His reputation and legacy

are clearly understood. :whistling:

3 hours ago, mikebell said:

I hope lots of UK pensioners attend and quiz him about frozen state pensions.  I raised the matter with an MP who raised it with Cameron; his answer - 'he's done the sums and won't budge.'

A few years ago, I raised this subject with my local M.P. and with the Prime Minister's office and I received an almost identical response from both.......stating that this matter had been raised on two separate occasions with the European Court of Justice by a U.K. Pensioners' Organisation and that on both occasions the Court had ruled that the UK Government's action was LEGAL.

I replied that I had not asked if it was LEGAL but whether it was FAIR.  Most of us ex-pats spent all of our working lives in the UK, paying full NHS conributions and full tax on our earnings and in fact still pay exactly the same amount of Income Tax now on all our UK pensions etc as we would had we continued living in the UK, or indeed in any other EU country. in retirement.  In return, we get no benefits whatsoever, other than a State pension which is stuck at its starting level, no matter how long we live.  The UK would lose out heavily if we returned to the UK and started claiming the full pension and all the other benefits to which we would become entitled, not the least of which would be free medical services.

Before anyone interjects with the usual, "Go back home then", read my avatar.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

FORMER BRITISH prime minister David Cameron has been invited to deliver speeches about key issues that might influence global tourism at the “World Travel and Tourism Council Global Summit”, which is scheduled to be held in Bangkok in April.

A freebie no doubt. 

5 hours ago, worgeordie said:

It will be a nice little earner for him,but dont understand what his

connection to tourism is .I suppose when they are finished with

politics ,they have to use their mouth for something.

regards worgeordie

making money. Now is when the real money starts for these talking heads. 

Edited by elgordo38

Odious excuse for a human being, don't know whether it is better to keep him away from pig farms or stick him in a pen with hungry ones, if the latter please remove his teeth and nails as we don't want to damage the poor piggies indigestion system.

As I suspected the toff haters emerge as predictably as day follows night.Though weighed down I suppose by lower class chippiness they should be reminded the thread is about the value Cameron can bring to the conference, not his policy failures in office.

It is ludicrous to call him an odious excuse for a human being since as an individual he is known to be warm hearted and generous.Obama who chose friends carefully was a close one with Cameron, far closer than their respective positions demanded.

Against the wishes of his Tory followers he persisted with pressing through gay marriage legislation - when he knew it would hurt him politically.

He bore tragic personal loss with dignity, and is clearly a devoted family man.

I agree Iraq and the Brexit saga were policy disasters - but as Enoch Powell said all political careers end in failure.

I hope Cameron has a great visit to Thailand and a successful conference.And by the way for the benefit of some toff haters, being "slick" is not the same thing as being "charming".

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

3 hours ago, jayboy said:

A very good  reply. It is unfortunate that a lot of working-class British expats have bought their typical class hatreds with them. I notice it everywhere especially on this forum. Cameron has a lot of class something they don't like because they lack it themselves.

36 minutes ago, gamini said:

A very good  reply. It is unfortunate that a lot of working-class British expats have bought their typical class hatreds with them. I notice it everywhere especially on this forum. Cameron has a lot of class something they don't like because they lack it themselves.

Yes but my experience is that the real working class do not have the chip on shoulder attitude that is so prevalent in the lower middle class.Genuine working class people tend to take individuals as they come, and usually can get on with anyone.In fact I would go so far to say that the upper class and working class - both secure in their identities - have more in common than the insecure lower middle class.