Allo 'Allo! actor Gorden Kaye dies

webfact

Allo 'Allo! actor Gorden Kaye dies

Hannah Ellis-Petersen

The Guardian

Agent confirms actor best known for role as cafe owner René Artois has died in care home, aged 75

Gorden Kaye, the actor best known for his role as René François Artois in the BBCsitcom ‘Allo ‘Allo, has died in a care home aged 75.

Kaye’s most memorable role was as the owner of Cafe René in the hit BBC1 comedy, which made light of the German occupation of France during the second world war.

The series, which ran from 1982 to 1992, was based around his character’s struggle with daily life in the French town of Nouvion: maintaining a friendly face for the German soldiers, getting dragged into the French resistance and having numerous affairs with his waiting staff.

Full story: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/jan/23/allo-allo-actor-gorden-kaye-dies-rene-artois

-- The Guardian 2017-01-25

It's 25 years since Cafe Rene closed its doors for the last time but Állo Állo is, like that other WW2 sitcom Dad's Army, timeless.

"Good moaning, I was pissing by your doeur" is still a recognised greeting for Brits of a certain age (and much younger due to re-runs).

I've been watching the re-runs on the Yesterday channel. They are still hilarious. Kaye was the consummate actor. I suspect that the irony of a chubby gay man being cast as a guy who is irresistible to those glamorous young girls hadn't escaped him. So sad that he has gone already.

I admit to having the hots for Helga (Kim Hartman), stockings, uniform, Princess Leia hair and a willingness to appear less than fully clothed, what else to look forward to?

He was very funny, the programme was hilarious and timeless. The idea of "translating" the policeman/British agents mispronounced French into English was pure genius.

" Now listen very carefully, I shall say this only once...." became an absolute catchphrase for several years in the army. 

Edited by JAG

Yep another of those classic BBC comedies.

Capt. Hans Geering: Do you not see? That if you kill him with the pill from the till by making with it the drug in the jug, you need not light the candle with the handle on the gâteau from the château.

René: Simple plots are always the best.

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

It's 25 years since Cafe Rene closed its doors for the last time but Állo Állo is, like that other WW2 sitcom Dad's Army, timeless.

"Good moaning, I was pissing by your doeur" is still a recognised greeting for Brits of a certain age (and much younger due to re-runs).

I've been watching the re-runs on the Yesterday channel. They are still hilarious. Kaye was the consummate actor. I suspect that the irony of a chubby gay man being cast as a guy who is irresistible to those glamorous young girls hadn't escaped him. So sad that he has gone already.

I admit to having the hots for Helga (Kim Hartman), stockings, uniform, Princess Leia hair and a willingness to appear less than fully clothed, what else to look forward to?

As an American,I was lucky to be exposed to the British humor in their hilarious sitcoms at an early age due to The Public Broadcasting System in The US.I in my opinion the British comedy genius is second to none.  DJ

I would rate this British comedy classic very high up , right up there with Monty Python and Mr. Bean .   And who can forget the charming  Lieutenant Gruber and his little tank Hubert . 

Sadly many of the clips that were on YouTube are gone due to copyright infringements.

One of Rene's best continuity announcements is in Series 01 Episode 06 where he "explains" that he was shot yesterday and is now impersonating his own twin brother, all with the knowledge and collusion of the local German chiefs.

Just watch it ok!

It was a great show, I was too young to watch the show when it first aired (not even born), but I watched the reruns countless times. Simply classic! I went to a Comic Con once where some of the characters such as Lt. Gruber (Guy Siner) were. I asked Siner if I could have his uniform jacket on, he agreed and asked me to e-mail it to him. I did and he replied with " You look very handsome in my uniform!" .  Lovely chap! Rest of the cast likewise. Great show!

From the very start where Ren'e is expecting to meet a member of the French resistance: 

-------------------

René: Good evening, Herr Lieutenant. What is your pleasure?

Lt. Hubert Gruber: I would like a cognac, if you please?

René: Maria, cognac for the officer. If you would like to, eh

Lt. Hubert Gruber: Why not, why not?

René: [René puts down the cognac. Lt. Hubert Gruber reaches into his pocket and produces a cigar. René mistakes Lt. Hubert Gruber for Leclerc] I - I - I expect you would like a light?

Lt. Hubert Gruber: Thank you, you're very kind.

René: I have no matches.

Lt. Hubert Gruber: Then why do you ask me if I would like a light?

René: I'm very sorry.

Lt. Hubert Gruber: If you have no matches... if you have no matches, take mine. I have a spare box.

René: Are you one of them?

Lt. Hubert Gruber: Well, it... it was very lonely on the Russian front.

Roger Leclerc: A cognac, if you please?

René: Maria, a cognac.  

Roger Leclerc: [Roger Leclerc reaches into his pocket and produces a cigar. Lt. Hubert Gruber notices and lights Leclerc's cigar. Roger Leclerc to René] Do you have a light?  

Lt. Hubert Gruber: What do you want a light for? I just lit it.

Roger Leclerc: Well, I don't want a light, I just wondered... if he had a light.

René: I have no matches.

Lt. Hubert Gruber: I've just given you some matches!

René: These are your matches! They're not my matches.

Roger Leclerc: [to René] Is he one of us?

René: No, he's one of them.

Lt. Hubert Gruber: Please do not tell everybody!

---------------

6 hours ago, Cuchulainn said:

And so starts another year of deaths of great comedians, actors and singers.

Officer: Sieg Heil

Hans Geering: Klop!!

They'd say Heil Hitler and Hans (Sam Kelly) would join in with -tler on the end. It did kinda sound like KLOP but Kelly confirmed that he simply said -tler just like some lazy students may say " -eacher"  when the rest of the class says "good morning teacher" .

Edited by Donutz