Thai govt gives go-ahead to buy Chinese submarine and tanks

webfact

Thai junta gives go-ahead to buy Chinese submarine and tanks

REUTERS

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand's military government has approved 13.5 billion baht ($380 million) to buy a submarine from China after putting the purchase on hold last year, Thai officials said on Wednesday.

While the Thai army will purchase 10 tanks and auxiliary vehicles from China, in addition to 28 main battle tanks ordered from China last year.

Relations have been strengthening between China and America's oldest ally in Southeast Asia, particularly since ties with the United States cooled after a 2014 coup.

The purchase of the submarine was put on hold last year in the face of public criticism and questions as to whether Thailand really needed a submarine.

Thai navy officials said negotiations with the Chinese government were nearly finalised and the budget had been earmarked to pay for the submarine over six years.

"We are in the process of negotiating but this year there will definitely be a signing agreement as we have the budget," Navy spokesman Admiral Jumpol Loompikanon told Reuters.

Jumpol said the submarine would allow the navy to study tactics and how submarine warfare may be used against Thailand.

Maritime security is a hot issue in Southeast Asia given competing claims over the South China Sea, but Thailand is not involved in that dispute.

The Thai army has also set aside two billion baht over three years to buy 10 tanks and auxiliary vehicles from China, according to General Chatudom Thittasiri, the deputy permanent secretary at the Ministry of Defence.

The purchase is in addition to 28 main battle tanks ordered from China last year.

China was the first major power to acknowledge Thailand's ruling junta following a 2014 coup. The United States responded to the coup by freezing $4.7 million of security-related aid and cancelling some security agreements.

(Reporting by Panarat Thepgumpanat and Cod Satrusayang; Editing by Michael Perry)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-01-25

Oh, this poor country, threatened from all directions so they need to afford all this money that is sorely needed elsewhere  to ensure nobody violates sacred Thai soil. And I always was under the impression Thailand regarded her ASEAN neighbors as friends. But evidently not so.

How about using those funds to build more village schools and medical centers and improve a few of the sometimes atrocious roads in rural areas instead? Or would that be a silly request? I mean, what's more important than "national security" so certain already fat people can get a further filling at the trough in the form of "commissions"... 

Edited by Misterwhisper
rephrasing

"Jumpol said the submarine would allow the navy to study tactics and how submarine warfare may be used against Thailand.

And you need an actual submarine for this???? Here's a money saving tip for you; it is not necessary to own an actual submarine to obtain this information.

What. A. Waste. Of. Money.

A good government invests in healthcare and education. Get that in order and it begins to pay for itself. Too many people here know exactly what's going on but simply say "What can 'I' do?". Simple - forget about your flag and country for a second, and put yourself as human beings first. It doesn't matter if these thieves are Thai or foreign. It must be spoken out about and it must stopped. 

3 minutes ago, brucec64 said:

Given the recent Rolls Royce and PTT corruption allegations, and that Thailand just dropped dramatically (for the worse) in the world corruption rankings, any guess as to what "brokerage fees " will be received for this purchase?

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

According to http://government.defenceindex.org/countries/thailand/ the brokerage fees add a "significant increase in cost to the procurement process of up to 30-40%."

"...Thai junta gives go-ahead to buy Chinese submarine and tanks..." - But, of course they would !!!

I'll let others extol the dubious virtues of the submarine purchase.

However, as for Chinese tanks - well, as the rest of the world knows only too well, these have a proven track-record of effectively suppressing their local citizens when used internally. One thing is certain, with these in the junta's arsenal, the purchase of the submarines would certainly not be put on hold (as it was last year) in the face of public criticism.

Tank_man.jpg

I was at Tops Market a couple hours ago; next to the checkout stand was a government poster asking - in both Thai & English - to donate to the military and proceeds would be used to buy soldiers bullet proof vests. 

Despite all the good things the sub & tank money could be used for - education, health care, infrastructure, etc - apparently there is not enough money available to equip foot soldiers. I quite imagine that the generals' cut on sub & tank sale will be enough to buy everyone in SE Asia a bullet proof vest.

Shoul open a book on how long the sub will stay seaworthy !!! I'm sure there's some on here who know quite a bit about this sort of kit !! Not easy to sail and high maintenance I'm sure. This has got disaster written all over it sadly ! Hope someone has done a course on rescue from submerged !! Or maybe they just going to walk around it and discuss its merits while laying up alongside the aircraft carrier ! Again don't know for sure but a submersible layed up can't be a good thing ! And a Chinese one at that ,

Edited by Nigeone

18 hours ago, webfact said:

The purchase of the submarine was put on hold last year in the face of public criticism and questions as to whether Thailand really needed a submarine.

And of course these citizen's concerns were never addressed but the junta is just are going to do it anyway because they can 

As we used to say:   you can tell the age of the boys, by the cost of their toys  

18 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai junta gives go-ahead to buy Chinese submarine and tanks

Thai junta gives ITSELF go-ahead to buy .....

Whatever happened to the junta's promised reform for transparency and accountability? Practicably that applied only to elected governments and not to the military whose actions are presumed legal and accountable only to its own internal review.

You guys just don't get it !!!

The tanks are to hold the subs. That way they are easily rescued & won't get stuck in the mud.

No need for dry dock, just drain the tank. When the generals wanna play, just refill the tank.

Kinda like a rubber duckie in the tub.

The first thing I noticed is that there has been no comment about increasing an arms build up by a bellyaching China, not like when Western nations upgrade or expands their military capabilities, buys gear or holds exercises with Co Partners, tanks , where can you use them in Thailand except on the roads or chasing students through paddy fields, not suitable anywhere else, Submarine, the waters around Thailand are shallow and also the confined space especially in the Gulf of Thailand, something submariners don't like. Both are not necessary and the money could be well spent else where. Toys for the Boys......................................

26 minutes ago, chainarong said:

The first thing I noticed is that there has been no comment about increasing an arms build up by a bellyaching China, not like when Western nations upgrade or expands their military capabilities, buys gear or holds exercises with Co Partners, tanks , where can you use them in Thailand except on the roads or chasing students through paddy fields, not suitable anywhere else, Submarine, the waters around Thailand are shallow and also the confined space especially in the Gulf of Thailand, something submariners don't like. Both are not necessary and the money could be well spent else where. Toys for the Boys......................................

The sub just in case they need to pull off another coup when BKK floods again.

They could have driven it around many streets last flood.

Edited by jaywalker

Will they never learn,I remember the last time they bought Chinese

tanks,and they developed cracks ,so unless the quality has greatly

improved, they will end up,been parked up somewhere,along with

the Blimp,Bomb detectors,the Aircraft carrier without planes,and

I suspect a whole load of other useless stuff that has been bought

at great expense in the name of National security.

regards worgeordie

26 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Will they never learn,I remember the last time they bought Chinese

tanks,and they developed cracks ,so unless the quality has greatly

improved, they will end up,been parked up somewhere,along with

the Blimp,Bomb detectors,the Aircraft carrier without planes,and

I suspect a whole load of other useless stuff that has been bought

at great expense in the name of National security.

regards worgeordie

That whole lot of useless stuffs that the military will be buying will be in their +2% 2017 budget expenditure at the expense of -4% budget allocation for education.  

13 hours ago, Nigeone said:

Shoul open a book on how long the sub will stay seaworthy !!! I'm sure there's some on here who know quite a bit about this sort of kit !! Not easy to sail and high maintenance I'm sure. This has got disaster written all over it sadly ! Hope someone has done a course on rescue from submerged !! Or maybe they just going to walk around it and discuss its merits while laying up alongside the aircraft carrier ! Again don't know for sure but a submersible layed up can't be a good thing ! And a Chinese one at that ,

It will stay operational long enough to make everyone realize they need 2 more.

In reality the Chinese will help plenty to keep the subs operational just in case the Chinese need to borrow a couple subs already positioned south of the South China Sea. How many planes need to land at Udapol to have men enough to man the subs?