Who of the Phuket regulars are leaving?

KarenBravo

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like the ads, but they don't hinder me and are no issue at all with loading the site. So sorry to some members, but I'll stay.

What is bothering me thuogh is the TV connect app, really a pain with the many, many notifications and settings that simply don't work.

1 hour ago, madmax2 said:

When did LIK say he was not posting or reading this forum anymore

i must have missed it

He made it obvious that he would not reply to trolls who stalk this forum which is a very good idea

Just lowlifes hiding behind a computer they are

In the forum support sub-forum under the Ad blocker notification thread, post #29.

My position is similar to member schlog's above. 

The ads take up only about 25% of the screen's horizontal real estate on the desktop, and usually I don't pay any attention to them.

I completely understand the need to generate revenue. Sites like this require a lot of resources - servers, bandwith, maintenance, upgrades and moderation, and this all costs money. A site like TV doesn't have ability to generate marketable "profiles" of users to the same scale as sites like Facebook in order to generate revenue. (Speaking of Facebook, it's a marketing goldmine. Think of how all of the "shares" and "likes" can be mined to develop very detailed profiles containing much more information than anyone would ever volunteer if asked directly.) TV obviously doesn't have this ability, so it would seem their only source of revenue is embedded ads.

There's no free lunch.

There are too many ads, yes, but I seem to be able to blot them out in my mind, hence I don't find them too intrusive.

One improvement under the new owners is that the forum headings are far enough away from the banner ads that you don't accidentally click them. 

So I'll be staying (I haven't seen a message from LIK or anyone else stating their advertising grievances either)

I don't like the ads, but they don't hinder me and are no issue at all with loading the site. So sorry to some members, but I'll stay.

What is bothering me thuogh is the TV connect app, really a pain with the many, many notifications and settings that simply don't work.

Delete it and download tapatalk app.
It's the same basically without the Thaivisa skin messing it up.
Works flawlessly.

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, sebastion said:

Delete it and download tapatalk app.
It's the same basically without the Thaivisa skin messing it up.
Works flawlessly.

AFAIK The Thai Visa Connect App is the same as Tapatalk. That is at least the message that Tech Doctor was telling people on the Android subforum. So not basically the same, but 100% the same.

Are you receiving notifications about quoted and liked posts? Do you receive notifications about new blog posts?

I 'tweaked' some settings and now the ad-blocker pop-up delay on my laptop is gone.  But my bigger issue is about the mobile version of ThaiVisa, which is simply impossible to use because I cannot apply the same 'fix'.  The number of adverts that are loaded means that the page jumps around for perhaps 1 minute whilst it loads up all the images.  If you click on a forum heading or post during that period, you end up actually clicking on a heading or post that you didn't want, and so you are taken off to another forum page (where the whole process is repeated...).

Completely unusable on a mobile device.

AFAIK The Thai Visa Connect App is the same as Tapatalk. That is at least the message that Tech Doctor was telling people on the Android subforum. So not basically the same, but 100% the same.

Are you receiving notifications about quoted and liked posts? Do you receive notifications about new blog posts?

Yes. They are the same. Thaivisa one is just a terrible bugged skin over the top of the tapatalk app.
Set notifications to all works great for me.

I do not understand why some people are so addicted to a forum like TV they have to connect to it even when away from home, don't they have anything better to do, or is it like heroin to heroin users

I guess this means you still use a PC/Laptop.
That's old tech. I haven't used a computer or needed one since the modern android smart phones.
Dying technology would be the correct term to use.

Just now, sebastion said:

Yes. They are the same. Thaivisa one is just a terrible bugged skin over the top of the tapatalk app.

TV spent all the time and energy (and caused a great deal of disruption) to upgrade their site.  But in the process did not make it fully responsive so that it would scale properly on a smart phone.  If a forum is coded so that it is fully responsive, there is no need for a phone app.  The app is just a bandaid-patch trying to fix and underlying problem. 

The website that I now like to hang out on is fully responsive and so it scales perfectly on a phone without the need to even use an app.

59 minutes ago, sebastion said:

Since I don't want those notifications that does not help me very much.

But thanks anyway.

2 hours ago, sebastion said:

That's old tech. I haven't used a computer or needed one since the modern android smart phones.

So when you are writing code or doing graphics and image manipulation what Android app would you recommend?

2 hours ago, sebastion said:

I have a smart phone, my wife bought it for my birthday awhile ago

I do not use it for TV and i have uninstalled facebook as well, it wastes to much of my valuable time checking their useless posts and removing them

Great for Emails and skype though and some other useful apps when i travelling away from home

Otherwise prefer the old tech laptop any time

So when you are writing code or doing graphics and image manipulation what Android app would you recommend?

Who says I write code?
I read emails, instant messenger(Line) and Microsoft office, Photoshop etc and browse the net.
A computer is useless to me and 90% ,of the population.
Just look at how sales have nosedived/plummeted/shrunk in the past 5 years.
It's a dying tech and you know it.

5 minutes ago, sebastion said:

Turn off notifications in settings. How about that?

Do you really think notifications were switched on but I am complaining here about receiving them?

Switching of notifications doesn't work.

Current phones and tablets are all computers. Androids running Linux variant while IOS running Unix variant.

The main difference between Laptops and phones is the screen size  and physical keyboard.

1 hour ago, sebastion said:

Who says I write code?
I read emails, instant messenger(Line) and Microsoft office, Photoshop etc and browse the net.
A computer is useless to me and 90% ,of the population.
Just look at how sales have nosedived/plummeted/shrunk in the past 5 years.
It's a dying tech and you know it.

I think you missed the point!!

And anyway there are over 2 billion personal computers in use at the moment so someone is using them!

I think you missed the point!!

And anyway there are over 2 billion personal computers in use at the moment so someone is using them!

Didn't miss the point.
You talked about people accessing thaivisa when out and about. You spoke about accessing at home which lead me to believe you are old fashioned and using a desktop to access thaivisa. It's also safe to assume you don't use a smartphone because if you did we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Good day to you sir.

Do you really think notifications were switched on but I am complaining here about receiving them?

Switching of notifications doesn't work.

Works for me.
I can choose notifications for everything.
Private messages, New posts in subscribed forums, likes and replies can all be selected to give notifications or not. You can decide Stevenl. You can control your content destiny.