Postpaid Dtac phone possible, retired foreigner

Felt 35

There are quite a few threads on this subject, and people generally report mixed experiences trying to subscribe to a post-paid mobile phone plan without a work permit.

People have reported success (and failure) with all three major providers on marriage/retirement extensions/visas, with/without house papers, with/without CCs.

I was able to transition from prepaid to postpaid with DTAC a few years ago, based on a then Non-Imm. B and no CC details requested. I now have an Ext of Stay/Retirement. I pay my bill each month, usually with cash at one of their automated terminals.

DTAC used to be the only provider here which explicitly said in their published T's & C's that anyone could get a post-paid contract as long as they linked it to a CC. They do offer a direct debit (linked to a select payments types) promotion currently.

Is there a specific reason why you want a post-paid plan? In many cases these may not represent the best value.

You will probably get a similar mix of experiences, with variability based on both provider and exact retail location.

You could contact DTAC directly, or just try at one of the nearby storefronts/shops? 

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

There are quite a few threads on this subject, and people generally report mixed experiences trying to subscribe to a post-paid mobile phone plan without a work permit.

People have reported success (and failure) with all three major providers on marriage/retirement extensions/visas, with/without house papers, with/without CCs.

I was able to transition from prepaid to postpaid with DTAC a few years ago, based on a then Non-Imm. B and no CC details requested. I now have an Ext of Stay/Retirement. I pay my bill each month, usually with cash at one of their automated terminals.

DTAC used to be the only provider here which explicitly said in their published T's & C's that anyone could get a post-paid contract as long as they linked it to a CC. They do offer a direct debit (linked to a select payments types) promotion currently.

Is there a specific reason why you want a post-paid plan? In many cases these may not represent the best value.

You will probably get a similar mix of experiences, with variability based on both provider and exact retail location.

You could contact DTAC directly, or just try at one of the nearby storefronts/shops? 

I echo what your saying and when asking at one of Dtac`s service centres just a couple hours ago the reply at first was no, then when I said I'm retired, they need passport and credit card. The person I was in touch with was not strong in English so I left it there but will check out why they want a credit card?!

Just now, Felt 35 said:

I echo what your saying and when asking at one of Dtac`s service centres just a couple hours ago the reply at first was no, then when I said I'm retired, they need passport and credit card. The person I was in touch with was not strong in English so I left it there but will check out why they want a credit card?!

To make sure they have a way of getting payment on the account if you fail to pay the monthly bills yourself (in their minds)

19 hours ago, Felt 35 said:

In the past DTAC has also asked for some number of months ( I seem to remember reports of 3 or 6 months ) being charged to the credit card in advance. This sort of makes sense as you may not have any sort of local credit history.

Linking the CC obviously reduces their potential collections exposure/challenges.

If you want/need a post-paid plan then offering up a CC seems like an easy route?

I think post-paid is still only ~ 7 % of the local market (not sure if that's revenue, or number of customers)?

Been on a post paid DTAC plan for about 8 years now....I'm on a retirement extension of stay.  Have had no problems. Account in my name.   Bills show up in the mail...I pay them via ibanking. 

Thai wife also on a DTAC post paid plan....no problems....bills show up in the mail...they get paid via ibanking.

• Like 1

Have same on non o 1 year visa marriage based. No problem pay it by I banking or 7/11 if I'm passing one. No credit card needed showed my DL/ID card all sorted. About 6 months ago. But I have to say I was with DTAC pre paid for years. Also when the contract runs out in 6 months I'll be going back to pre paid. I know where I am with it.

On 1/27/2017 at 9:23 PM, Searat7 said:

Yes I have postpaid with Dtac and I am in the same situation as you. They deduct payments from my bank account

DTAC are privileged to relieve any foreigners of there baht. A passport ATM card and a real estate letter should see you on there debt list :)

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I have a retirement Visa, am not Thai married and am Dtac prepaid customer since over 2 years.

After many failed attempts to buy a phone on credit at Dtac shops, I can affirm that you either need a Credit Card (Yes but a Thai Credit Card) or run on a Thai Working Visa.

And you generally get a Thai Credit Card either if you have a work permit or if you are Thai married or eventually can prove that you are a real estate owner.

Of cause there are always exceptions and eventualy a Thai Visa Agent would be a good start to where to gather more informations about that issue, as they have by definition good contacts @Thai Administration Services.

Any positive information about where and how to get a mobile credit line with "only" a Retirement Visa would be welcome!

Edited by scvi
Forgot some details

Best to go into a larger dtac store like in a central mall and take a ticket for the Q to speak with someone in English.  I have worked with dtac for years and when using that type store the result has always been great.  If not mistaken the last time I started a post pay account I just used my drivers lic. and they deduct the funds from the phone each month - you can add money at any other smaller outlet up to 24 hours before the due time or even triple it and it just rides month to month.  With the app on the phone you can track everything.  The smaller outlets are more like a kiosk operation.