Corruption ranking reason

rooster59

Corruption ranking reason

By NATTAPHAT PHROMKAEW
THE NATION

df0e6bea23a163057cd7435bd405fa96.jpeg

Sansern

NEW CRITERIA including a country’s degree of democracy may be one main reason why Thailand’s corruption ranking has plummeted, National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) Secretary General Sansern Poljeak said yesterday.

The Kingdom is ranked 101st among the 176 countries surveyed in the Transparency International Corruption Perception Index (CPI) for 2016, compared to 76th place in 2015.

Sansern said that for the 2015 ranking, the criteria did not include diversity of democracy, election and freedom, as is the case with the latest version.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30305134

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-01-28

Seems like he's spending more time defending some index ranking rather than doing his job, or highlighting his successes?

I think until such time as he successfully prosecutes some green, yellow, non red-shirt, non reddish-orange gowned monk he will be forever behind the eight-ball.

Now go off and justify why the TG/RR corruption case slipped by your nose.

Quote article:- The report said the decline in ranking partly resulted from the current repression, the lack of independent oversight, and the deterioration of rights, which weakened confidence in the country. - end quote

Unfair report. Not reporting the vast inprovements the present government has made on ending corruption but instead focusing their corruption report on the coup.

The road to reform and the restoration of a fair, democratic election without vote buying or benefiting the financial status of one family. Is this not an improvement on corruption?

Edited by Wilsonandson

12 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

" Sansern said that for the 2015 ranking, the criteria did not include diversity of democracy, election and freedom..."

oh, that stuff...

No matter. There will be a meeting soon, and Transparency International will be quoted as saying that they understand Thailand's special circumstances, and admire the endeavors of the government in following the road map...

It's quite possible that the Transparency International delegate will leave his wallet and briefcase in a taxi on his way to the airport, and the cabbie will purchase a seat on the next available flight to Berlin to return it to him.

Maybe, Super Poll should be invited to carry out an "independent" survey of 1,167 or so Thais from around the country, to get their opinion on this.

If their effort from September last year is any indicator (http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30295659), they are sure to produce a much more favourable result than the international non-governmental organization leading the fight against corruption ???

TI.jpg

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Sansern said that for the 2015 ranking, the criteria did not include diversity of democracy, election and freedom, as is the case with the latest version.

But maybe this time ithe ranking included government by military junta as a negative factor.

8 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

Quote article:- The report said the decline in ranking partly resulted from the current repression, the lack of independent oversight, and the deterioration of rights, which weakened confidence in the country. - end quote

Unfair report. Not reporting the vast inprovements the present government has made on ending corruption but instead focusing their corruption report on the coup.

The road to reform and the restoration of a fair, democratic election without vote buying or benefiting the financial status of one family. Is this not an improvement on corruption?

Ending what corruption? Sure, right after the Coup, the cops were nowhere to be seen. I actually (stupidly), thought a change was coming. Now it is worse than ever. The "fines" are up as now you have to pay the army and the cops. I just had to pay 1,400 Baht today to get my sons bike back from the cops for a no helmet ticket. 500 baht. The extra 900 was not documented, no receipt for any of it.

The excuse was "Must pay army for move bike." 900 Baht for a 500 meter move?

Corruption across Asia is endemic. People on low pay see a chance to make a bit extra that someone else was making already and they take it. Now the cops and army are buddy buddy, so it is going downhill, and fairly reflected in the new rankings.

The people compiling these lists are not stupid.

We can all bleat and moan, but it is not going to get better quickly. Singapore has the right idea and when countries get serious about tackling corruption that should be their role model.

I believe there is neither the will, nor the ability to deal with it here. The "haves" will resist every move to put them into their correct pay and lifestyle bracket.

TIT.

So, the only reason why Transparency International (A Globally recognised and respected, impartial organisation), downgraded Thailand is because of slightly different, though unconfirmed in this article, criteria, means it doesn't matter and shouldn't be considered important? Seriously?

While I felt shortly after the Coup that things were improving, it was only a brief respite.

Previously Thailand was 76th. That is a pretty shit ranking and should be telling the Government there is a problem. A serious one at that!

It gets a lot worse and it is only the criteria to blame, not the people grafting?

Does this buffoon think that you can spout any old lie or sad excuse and everyone will swallow it?

Why was he not promising to address all of the issues and the criteria to improve the situation?

I found this comment almost as stupid as the one by the PM, that Thai could end up being the Lingua Franca (Common world language, currently English), of the world.

That will only happen when everyone outside Thailand is dead.

Corruption inside Thailand will probably end when everyone inside Thailand is dead.

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Ending what corruption? Sure, right after the Coup, the cops were nowhere to be seen. I actually (stupidly), thought a change was coming. Now it is worse than ever. The "fines" are up as now you have to pay the army and the cops. I just had to pay 1,400 Baht today to get my sons bike back from the cops for a no helmet ticket. 500 baht. The extra 900 was not documented, no receipt for any of it.

The excuse was "Must pay army for move bike." 900 Baht for a 500 meter move?

Corruption across Asia is endemic. People on low pay see a chance to make a bit extra that someone else was making already and they take it. Now the cops and army are buddy buddy, so it is going downhill, and fairly reflected in the new rankings.

The people compiling these lists are not stupid.

We can all bleat and moan, but it is not going to get better quickly. Singapore has the right idea and when countries get serious about tackling corruption that should be their role model.

I believe there is neither the will, nor the ability to deal with it here. The "haves" will resist every move to put them into their correct pay and lifestyle bracket.

TIT.

well spoken..cheers

15 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

Seriously?  The only reason this military government might allow "a fair, democratic election without vote buying or benefiting the financial status of one family" is because they rammed through a constitution that makes elected government powerless.  We can also be confident the military will benefit the financial status of the appropriate families.

Trying to find a reason for the corruption ranking :clap2: One only has to look out their front door to see it going on.  There is your reason right there.  The problem is when you are so use to something, you become blinded by it and therefore over a long period of time, see it as normal.  

Edited by Phuketboy

Corruption is also modeled throughout the education system: high school principals with new Mercedes, under-the-table fees for admissions, grade-fixing after the fact, performing "favors" for good grades, stealing time and materials from the school, plagiarism at epidemic levels from 1st grade through Ph.D., etc.

Kids see it modeled and then they go out into the real world accepting this behavior as the norm.

Maybe the schools are where the crusaders should start.

I personally mete out harsh penalties for plagiarism. My Thai colleagues are a bit uncomfortable but they have always publicly supported me. I won't venture to say what is said behind my back.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect