Wearing shorts/ mosquitos?

JimmyJ

Not a bad idea that. Compare the legs profile pictures. Then we will see what this fuss is all about with shorts. I'm guessing all the anti short brigade are all skinny with Knobbly knees or some real gorillas with bush all over their legs

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/28/2017 at 3:54 PM, Naam said:

says who?

Thai3 says so, the one who knows everything about nothing. Or is it the other way round??

But depends where you are. I never have a problem in central Bangkok or Pattaya beach area but "up-country" it is a different story. I recently went to an open eating house clad in long sleeved shirt, long trousers, socks and shoes. within an hour and a half I was bitten four times on my left hand and twice on the right.

Edited by rott

Personally, only wear shorts and sandals without socks 99% of the time. Up till about 10  years ago wore jeans and shoes/socks at night, but no longer. It is shorts and sandals. Comfort first...not trying, nor interested in impressing or being accepted by the locals. Smile, neat appearance, nice manners and no one cares, nor should they.

Mosquitoes LOVE me and I find myself being drained constantly while others around are not bothered at all or considerably less. They are worse at night, for me anyway. I find Sketolene or small pink bottle of repellent bought at most convenience stores and supermarkets. They are equally effective and provide protection.

CO2 release, blood type, etc are attractive to the little parasites. See links below...

https://www.mosquitnoband.com/why-do-mosquitoes-like-me-more-than-anyone-else/

http://time.com/3311624/why-mosquitoes-bite/

Studies have repeatedly shown that the most effective repellents are DEET and picaridin. DEET, in particular, has been shown to be very effective. Picaridin is pretty good too. Both products have shown to be effective in local field-based tests.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/cameronwebb.wordpress.com/2013/07/22/busting-the-five-myths-of-mosquito-repellents/amp/

On 28/01/2017 at 2:37 PM, Sheryl said:

Be aware that shorts are not considered polite attire in Thailand. Obviously it depends on the context - they are fine to wear at the beach, and upcountry you can wear them in your own yard. But it is definitely not acceptable wear for walking around Bangkok and going into restaurants etc except for ones located along the beach front etc.

On 28/01/2017 at 3:39 PM, thai3 said:

Never wear shorts, they are for newbies and sexpats.

On 29/01/2017 at 0:57 AM, impulse said:

Sure, wear shorts if you want.  Just be aware that a significant portion of the Thai people will look down on you if you do.   Not all of them, but a significant portion of them.  

My, my, my, I was unaware such prejudice existed! As someone who has lived and worked abroad his whole life, 37 years and counting, much of it in Africa and Asia, I've been a habitual wearer of shorts.

I've never encountered any problems, sure for some occasions I'll wear a pair of long trousers, but 90% of the time I'm in shorts. If people do look down on me that's their problem not mine.

As for the OP's question, generally I would only use repellent in the evening, if mosquitoes are especially bad then I'll cover up.

My preferred repellent is Boots Tropical Strength (50% Deet) which is available here in Boots Thailand - the 'natural' repellents like citronella oil really aren't that effective. 

Edited by Stocky

3 minutes ago, Stocky said:

My, my, my, I was unaware such prejudice existed! As someone who has lived and worked abroad his whole life, 37 years and counting, much of it in Africa and Asia, I've been a habitual wearer of shorts.

It's a well-known principle in business life, part of the "Dress for Success" theory - the more flesh you show the less seriously you will be taken. When I first started coming to Thailand thirty years ago shorts were a total no-no - I never saw a Thai in shorts. Nowadays they're fairly common in Bangkok

1 minute ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

It's a well-known principle in business life, part of the "Dress for Success" theory - the more flesh you show the less seriously you will be taken. When I first started coming to Thailand thirty years ago shorts were a total no-no - I never saw a Thai in shorts. Nowadays they're fairly common in Bangkok

Dress for success, indeed, I'm an exploration geologist and dress accordingly. 

4 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Dress for success, indeed, I'm an exploration geologist and dress accordingly. 

If you showed up at our BKK E&P office in shorts, you wouldn't have gotten past the receptionist before the country manager would have not so politely told you to go home and put on some big boy pants.  I saw it happen more than once and those were the exact words he used.

I've got nothing against shorts.  But if I suggested it was okay to show up at our office in shorts, I'd have been doing you a disservice- whether I agree with the country manager or not.  

The fact that many Thai people look down on foreigners wearing shorts has absolutely nothing to do with the way I feel about wearing shorts.  It's not a reflection of my level of tolerance, acceptance, or worth as a human being.

"an adolescent sense of humor"

Gosh, I'm not being humorous, adolescent  or otherwise, merely stating a fact. I work as a geological consultant in the metals exploration and mining industry, shorts are not inappropriate dress. I've worn shorts nearly all my working life, with the exception of my time working underground in South Africa, and during winter months in Russia and Peru.

Edited by Stocky

3 hours ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

I'm so glad once I finished my real job at 40. I decided to go it alone after a very short stint as a copper ( soon realised the error 0f my ways). I could wear what I wanted and if people didn't like what I wore no problem they just didn't get my buisness simple really.

All you who for some reason better known to yourselfs have a pure hatred of shorts get over yourselfs. Stop trying to tell people what to wear. It's called individual choice.

5 hours ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

It's a well-known principle in business life, part of the "Dress for Success" theory - the more flesh you show the less seriously you will be taken.

yeah right! most of us retirees came to Thailand to seek success in business life and to be taken seriously by the locals.

rabugento1.gif

Not everyone is a retiree.

And retirees also have occasions where they would fare better if well dressed by Thai standards. For example I always dress up a bit when traveling, especially by plane. It definitely makes a difference to how officials treat you and if any problems arise or you need any special assistance you'll be more likely to get it. I've gotten free upgrades, been given some leeway on luggage allowance and related rules, etc etc many times where I doubt it would gave occurred if I hadn't been dressed well. (By which I don't mean expensive...just dress or business casual type slacks and blouse rather than t shirt and shorts/jeans; dressy sandals rather than flip flops). Even traveling by train or driving, it pays off if pulled over by the police or any problem arises about seating etc.

Obviously in Thailand as anywhere else, what constitutes acceptable attire varies with the context. I live way out in the boondocks and am fine wearing shorts and t shirt within the village (functions like funerals etc obviously an exception). I can also go to the fresh markets elsewhere in the district dressed like that without standing out.

Going into the provincial capital down, need to dress a little better -- how much depending on where I will go. Immigration, bank need much more dress up, Tesco/Big C need the least. I woukdn't wear above the knee shorts to the latter but mid-calf pants and t are fine. This is specific to where I live, mileage will vary. In places wirh large foreign populations and/or near beaches prevailing standards are much looser.

Going into Bangkok, a whole other matter. Business or "business casual" attire. Though if I lived there and were just popping out to a street vendor or corner market I'd be OK in flip flops and shorts for that.

The problem I observe is that (1) many foreigners fail to gauge the context and expect to be able to dress the same wherever they go in Thailand, and (2) because Thai culture uses understated/subtle forms of communucation many foreigners don't pick up on it when their appearance is being perceived negatively

17 hours ago, Stocky said:

As for the OP's question, generally I would only use repellent in the evening, if mosquitoes are especially bad then I'll cover up.

Evening l wear sports shorts and carry an electric tennis racket. :laugh:

Those things look fun but you've got to go chasing the mossies, usually after they've alerted you to their presence by biting you. In Ghana we had several of those blue light insect-o-cutor lamps around the house and out on the veranda, they worked well.

16 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Not everyone is a retiree.

And retirees also have occasions where they would fare better if well dressed by Thai standards. For example I always dress up a bit when traveling, especially by plane. It definitely makes a difference to how officials treat you and if any problems arise or you need any special assistance you'll be more likely to get it. I've gotten free upgrades, been given some leeway on luggage allowance and related rules, etc etc many times where I doubt it would gave occurred if I hadn't been dressed well. (By which I don't mean expensive...just dress or business casual type slacks and blouse rather than t shirt and shorts/jeans; dressy sandals rather than flip flops). Even traveling by train or driving, it pays off if pulled over by the police or any problem arises about seating etc.

Obviously in Thailand as anywhere else, what constitutes acceptable attire varies with the context. I live way out in the boondocks and am fine wearing shorts and t shirt within the village (functions like funerals etc obviously an exception). I can also go to the fresh markets elsewhere in the district dressed like that without standing out.

Going into the provincial capital down, need to dress a little better -- how much depending on where I will go. Immigration, bank need much more dress up, Tesco/Big C need the least. I woukdn't wear above the knee shorts to the latter but mid-calf pants and t are fine. This is specific to where I live, mileage will vary. In places wirh large foreign populations and/or near beaches prevailing standards are much looser.

Going into Bangkok, a whole other matter. Business or "business casual" attire. Though if I lived there and were just popping out to a street vendor or corner market I'd be OK in flip flops and shorts for that.

The problem I observe is that (1) many foreigners fail to gauge the context and expect to be able to dress the same wherever they go in Thailand, and (2) because Thai culture uses understated/subtle forms of communucation many foreigners don't pick up on it when their appearance is being perceived negatively

I can honestly say you seem to be very snobbish.  I to have had free upgrades on planes never had a problem with police or guards of any type whilst wearing my shots. No one ha ever percived me negatively. On all my visits to banks immigration amphur thai courts not once have I ever been looked at straggly or commented upon for wearing shorts. You seem to be stuck in a diffrent century from reality.

As for moss ie repellent I find Johnson off the best 

Edited by Deepinthailand

When wearing shorts, I sit next to my girlfriend. She is a mozzie magnet. So while she is bitten numerous times, I am bite free. :wink:

Different people attract mozzies to a different degree. I have never been much of a draw to mozzies, but my girlfriend really is a mozzie magnet. If there is a mosquito in a room of 10 or more people, the mosquito will seek her out to say hello before anyone else.

As to shorts, over the years I have seen changes in what is acceptable. Nowadays, (as many posters have pointed out) smart shorts (cargo and chino style) and are very common at the shopping malls. On any given Saturday or Sunday at Central Mall Bang Na, I would guess that nearly 25 percent of men are wearing shorts. These men are mainly middle class Thais out with their wives and children. So I have no idea who is taking offence.

1 hour ago, Deepinthailand said:

I can honestly say you seem to be very snobbish.  I to have had free upgrades on planes never had a problem with police or guards of any type whilst wearing my shots. No one ha ever percived me negatively. On all my visits to banks immigration amphur thai courts not once have I ever been looked at straggly or commented upon for wearing shorts. You seem to be stuck in a diffrent century from reality.

As for moss ie repellent I find Johnson off the best 

Let me paraphrase what I'm reading here:

Sheryl:  Some Thais look down on people wearing shorts.

DIT:  You're a snob.

That's kind of like me saying that some people in Alabama don't like blacks, so you'd call me a racist.  There's no connection between people in Alabama and my views of the world.  Just as there's no connection between the way some Thai people perceive shorts, and my view of the world.  I'd be foolish to believe that all Alabamians like blacks.   Or that no Thai people look down on shorts.  But it has nothing to do with me.  Or with Sheryl.

7 minutes ago, impulse said:

Let me paraphrase what I'm reading here:

Sheryl:  Some Thais look down on people wearing shorts.

DIT:  You're a snob.

That's kind of like me saying that some people in Alabama don't like blacks, so you'd call me a racist.  There's no connection between people in Alabama and my views of the world.  Just as there's no connection between the way some Thai people perceive shorts, and my view of the world.  I'd be foolish to believe that all Alabamians like blacks.   Or that no Thai people look down on shorts.  But it has nothing to do with me.  Or with Sheryl.

What a load of rubish we can make anything spear to look real by chopping bits and pieces up from posts and putting them in the order to suit your reasoning I belive the poster is a bit of a snob based on the many posts that have been written by the poster on this subject of shirts so go ahead and paraphrase that my dear

Thank you.

Actually what I am saying is that some Thais have a negative perception of people who are dressed inappropriately and that as in all countries, what is considered appropriate dress varies greatly with the context.

And yes, I am talking about how Thais perceive, not my own perceptions. I personally do not "look down" on foreigners who I see dressed inappropriately for the location/context. But I do think they have failed to recognize that what is acceptable wear in some places is not necessarily acceptable wear absolutely everywhere in the country under all circumstances.

I have directly observed many, many cases whete a foreigner was having difficulties with Thais which were exacetbated or even largely caused by how they were dressed.

10 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

What a load of rubish we can make anything spear to look real by chopping bits and pieces up from posts and putting them in the order to suit your reasoning I belive the poster is a bit of a snob based on the many posts that have been written by the poster on this subject of shirts so go ahead and paraphrase that my dear

The issue I have is that newbies and tourists come on here and read this stuff, and if only one side of the controversy is presented, they may think it's universally true.  It's not.  People have had different experiences.

Just like the guys who have been driving here for 30 years or have made dozens of mini van visa runs and claim the roads and vans are "as safe as back home" and anyone who doesn't agree must be a stupid head.

I can tell you for a solid fact that wearing shorts around my BKK office would get you sent home.  And not politely.  I love shorts.  Back home in Texas, I live in shorts outside of work, church and a few weeks in the winter.  But I don't wear them in Thailand.  And it's not because I think they're bad.

5 minutes ago, impulse said:

The issue I have is that newbies and tourists come on here and read this stuff, and if only one side of the controversy is presented, they may think it's universally true.  It's not.  People have had different experiences.

Just like the guys who have been driving here for 30 years or have made dozens of mini van visa runs and claim the roads and vans are "as safe as back home" and anyone who doesn't agree must be a stupid head.

I can tell you for a solid fact that wearing shorts around my BKK office would get you sent home.  And not politely.  I love shorts.  Back home in Texas, I live in shorts outside of work, church and a few weeks in the winter.  But I don't wear them in Thailand.  And it's not because I think they're bad.

Who in their right mind would wear shorts to the office unless that was part of a uniform? I believe we are talking about on the street, in malls, restaurants, etc. I dress smartly in a dress shirt and trousers for the office, but at the wekend, when out and about, mainly shorts.  I don't believe the OP is talking about what to wear at work.

Indeed, the OP was asking about shorts and mosquitoes, only for the fuddy-duddy fashion police to hijack the topic.

Shorts are fine in SE Asia, the only time you'll need long pants will be visiting temples etc, functions and some restaurants (phone ahead for dress code). Insects can be an issue, but just use a Deet based repellent at night, or cover up if the mosquitoes are especially bad.

Ignore the fuddy-duddy fashion police, shorts are not a problem.

Edited by Stocky

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

And retirees also have occasions where they would fare better if well dressed by Thai standards. For example I always dress up a bit when traveling, especially by plane. It definitely makes a difference to how officials treat you and if any problems arise or you need any special assistance you'll be more likely to get it. I've gotten free upgrades, been given some leeway on luggage allowance and related rules,

your comment produced a nostalgic smile on my face Sheryl. it reminded me of the good ol'd times many rainy seasons ago when i had (once in a while big fun) boarding an aircraft in jeans and t-shirt (first class boarding passes for me and the Mrs.in my back pocket), being advised "sorry Sir, this way please" and my answer was whilst flashing the passes "seats 4H and 4K have been moved to cattle class?" the reactions were different but always priceless and the service (mainly Swissair and Lufthansa) later was impeccable.

:smile:

3 hours ago, impulse said:

Well I can tell you I don't need to run round your office. As stated before I worked for myself so no need to Cowtow to anyone. Yes we all have an opinion and mine I'd there is nothing wrong with wearing them at all they are not as you would like to tell first time visitors (don't like the word newbies it implies a class system) to think that Thais look down on you for wearing them which is just not true.

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Thank you.

Actually what I am saying is that some Thais have a negative perception of people who are dressed inappropriately and that as in all countries, what is considered appropriate dress varies greatly with the context.

And yes, I am talking about how Thais perceive, not my own perceptions. I personally do not "look down" on foreigners who I see dressed inappropriately for the location/context. But I do think they have failed to recognize that what is acceptable wear in some places is not necessarily acceptable wear absolutely everywhere in the country under all circumstances.

I have directly observed many, many cases whete a foreigner was having difficulties with Thais which were exacetbated or even largely caused by how they were dressed.

Well you must be one of a very unlucky club if you've experiance many cases. Failed to recognise what exactly. Not all shorts are multi pocket jobs or bright colors. A good pair of shorts with a good shirt is every bit as smart as trousers and shirt.

I'm still trying to get my head round Australian businessmen in suit jacket, shirt & tie and matching shorts as an earlier posted here said.

What socks do you wear with that? Long socks to the knees? Short socks? And what about shoes? Are sandles acceptable?

2 hours ago, grollies said:

I'm still trying to get my head round Australian businessmen in suit jacket, shirt & tie and matching shorts as an earlier posted here said.

What socks do you wear with that? Long socks to the knees? Short socks? And what about shoes? Are sandles acceptable?

Smart shorts with creases, knee length socks and well polished brogues or similar. Actually, jackets didn't seem to be mandatory; a well pressed short-sleeved shirt with a tie seemed to be quite acceptable.

I am talking about when I lived in Melbourne forty years ago, so it's very possible things have changed since. I'm sure there are some Aussies here who can tell us.

16 hours ago, GarryP said:

When wearing shorts, I sit next to my girlfriend. She is a mozzie magnet. So while she is bitten numerous times, I am bite free. :wink:

Different people attract mozzies to a different degree. I have never been much of a draw to mozzies, but my girlfriend really is a mozzie magnet. If there is a mosquito in a room of 10 or more people, the mosquito will seek her out to say hello before anyone else...

My ex -gf and I lived in a house that had spiders ocassionally.

Same as above - they loved to bite her when she slept, I don't recall ever getting a spider bite there.

Maybe the insects just have good taste. Or are sexist.