German's safe robbed of euros in Pattaya condo

rooster59

German's safe robbed of euros in Pattaya condo

german.PNG

Image: Pattaya News

Pattaya news reported on their Facebook page that a German man had been robbed of 1,500 euros and 10,000 baht while he was out.

Gunter Klee, 79, returned to his condo on the fifth floor of Sweet 2 in Soi Pattaya Park in the early hours of Saturday morning after going out.

His rooms had been rifled. He checked his safe where the euros worth 58,000 baht and the Thai money had been kept. It was all missing.

Pattaya police took the report and went back to the condo with Mr Klee to inspect CCTV to get a lead in the case.

Source: Pattaya News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-01-29

4 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Pattaya police took the report and went back to the condo with Mr Klee to inspect CCTV to get a lead in the case.

Which was surprisingly, probably not working at the time.

Edited by Thaiwrath

Much about this in the news. Still people put their money and valubles in hotel safe. Regarding money it´s easy to have a bank card for that purpose, and use it only in ATM´s when travel.
Just too many people thinking, It doesn´t happen to me!

There are some hotels whose security is highly suspect.  Were there any other rooms rifled or was this poor guy targeted?  If so who knew? Which hotel employee was aware of this?  Just some of the questions which will NEVER be asked by Pattaya's finest.

32 minutes ago, DeeMak9 said:

Maybe it's a good idea to invest some money in a proper safe or rent a safe deposit box. Siam Secure is Pattaya is an excellent facility and very affordable..

At a bank yes because at least they are regulated but what protection have you got against a private company holding your valuables if something goes wrong?

This year has not been a profitable "high season" for many in Pattaya.
Which leads me to believe that, in a poor economy, break-ins, robberies, etc. will happen more often.
Of course farangs will be the targets because (Thai logic) they have too much money.
(Don't confuse the facts by telling Thai people that the reason most farangs have money to spend in Thailand, is because they worked for it before vacationing/retiring in Thailand. This is irrelevant.)

American Bank Robber Willie Sutton gave his reason for robbing banks as: "That's where the money is."

18 minutes ago, KenKadz said:
Which leads me to believe that, in a poor economy, break-ins, robberies, etc. will happen more often.
Of course farangs will be the targets because (Thai logic) they have too much money.
(Don't confuse the facts by telling Thai people that the reason most farangs have money to spend in Thailand, is because they worked for it before vacationing/retiring in Thailand. This is irrelevant.)

American Bank Robber Willie Sutton gave his reason for robbing banks as: "That's where the money is."

How did you "discover" that the culprit is a Thai? Trying to create a diversion, eh.

Edited by JSixpack

Where do Brits come into it? The victim is German, you and KenKadz are subjects of DJT. Keep us Brits out of your squabble, please. Don't you know we are your closest (only ?) allies.

Edited by champers
Spellink errur

14 hours ago, mikebell said:

There are some hotels whose security is highly suspect.  Were there any other rooms rifled or was this poor guy targeted?  If so who knew? Which hotel employee was aware of this?  Just some of the questions which will NEVER be asked by Pattaya's finest.

Watson, please stop with this line of investigation you have already from the onset strayed from the facts of the article. Mr Holmes will be here shortly to clear up matter.

17 hours ago, ezzra said:

Invest in a good safe and not a sardine can from Big C and your money

and valuables will be safe ( no pun intended ).....

Obvious , but good advice for condos ...and bolted down.   Unfortunately, with many hotels there is not that option. A few months ago I checked into a fairly nice hotel in Phnom Penh and could not open the safe.  I rang up the front desk and reported the problem. A few minutes later, a knock on the door ...two little girls  carrying a replacement safe. They smiled, picked up the non-working safe and walked out .  I had to laugh.

7 hours ago, KenKadz said:

7 hours ago, JSixpack said:

How did you "discover" that the culprit is a Thai? Trying to create a diversion, eh.

7 hours ago, KenKadz said:

Where did I say it was a Thai person?

You didnt "mention" it..... you inferred this in your first comment and this is how it was perceived by JSixpack, including myself....BTW do you understand the difference between the 2 words?

20 hours ago, NE1 said:

Wasn't a hotel , it was his own condo.

Or perhaps one he was just renting, many condos operate like hotels in Pattaya.

Under those circumstances I doubt most guests would consider bringing their own safe or even buying one.

Many designs have an over-ride facility, be it a key or code and management are suspect.

11 hours ago, champers said:

Where do Brits come into it? The victim is German, you and KenKadz are subjects of DJT. Keep us Brits out of your squabble, please. Don't you know we are your closest (only ?) allies.

Lighten up and smile. Point was that, given the lack of evidence, the culprit could be a farang of whatever nationality. :) After all, you do have all sorts living in the condos.

At a bank yes because at least they are regulated but what protection have you got against a private company holding your valuables if something goes wrong?

And what makes you think that a bank, anywhere in world, has their safe deposit boxes "regulated"

Even Swiss banking laws don't regulate safe deposit boxes

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

3 hours ago, JSixpack said:

Lighten up and smile. Point was that, given the lack of evidence, the culprit could be a farang of whatever nationality. :) After all, you do have all sorts living in the condos.

My post was meant entirely in jest and was written with a smile on my face. I wouldn't wish to blight the tremendous special relationship between our 2 nations.☺

Edited by champers
Spellink errur

13 hours ago, sioux2012 said:

You didnt "mention" it..... you inferred this in your first comment and this is how it was perceived by JSixpack, including myself....BTW do you understand the difference between the 2 words?

Whatever!

Burglary at Elderly German Man’s Condo

By Danny Boy -

german-2.jpg?fit=1121,747

German man comes home to find condo ransacked

PATTAYA: -- At around 3:00am on Saturday Jan 28th, Pattaya police were called to investigate a burglary at a condo in central Pattaya owned by a German expat.

Arriving at the scene they found Mr. Klee Gunter, 79 years old waiting patiently for assistance. He explained to police that he been out socializing with some friends, and enjoying a few beers at a nearby beer bar. He hadn’t been out too long, but on returning home he found that his condo has been broken into and his belongings were scattered all over the place.

The incident took place at Pattaya Park condo on the 5th floor, room 72, which is a 2 story suite. It is still unknown how the burglars managed to gain access to the condo, as there were no signs of forced entry.

Some minor electronic possessions were missing but more notably, was that the burglars had also managed to gain access into the safe. The took 1,500 Euro’s which is roughly around 58,000 Thai Baht, as well 10,000 Thai Baht in cash from the safe.

There were no eye witnesses to the crime, so police are now looking at CCTV images from the condo and the surrounding area in an attempt to catch the thieves, although no breakthrough has been made as of yet.

The investigation continues.

Source: http://pattayaone.news/en/burglary-elderly-german-condo/

pattaya-one_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya One 2017-01-30

"It is still unknown how the burglars managed to gain access to the condo, as there were no signs of forced entry."

"...but more notably, was that the burglars had also managed to gain access into the safe."

ex wife? ex girlfriend? ex trusted employee? with front door key and safe combination? 

At 79 years old it must be difficult to know who to trust and keep your wits about you. I hope he gets this sorted.

I have a "safe room" in Thailand, literally.  No one has ever gone in it or knows about it or whats in it. And five CCTV cameras in my house with motion detection, IR and automatic cloud storage of images. One is at eye level at the front door so there is no doubt that you are on camera. 

When I talk to ANYONE in bars in Thailand I always say "I don't have any money."

Interesting to watch the girls eyes glaze over. 

You have to learn to walk among the Zombies here.

8 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

"It is still unknown how the burglars managed to gain access to the condo, as there were no signs of forced entry."

"...but more notably, was that the burglars had also managed to gain access into the safe."

ex wife? ex girlfriend? ex trusted employee? with front door key and safe combination? 

At 79 years old it must be difficult to know who to trust and keep your wits about you. I hope he gets this sorted.

I have a "safe room" in Thailand, literally.  No one has ever gone in it or knows about it or whats in it. And five CCTV cameras in my house with motion detection, IR and automatic cloud storage of images. One is at eye level at the front door so there is no doubt that you are on camera. 

When I talk to ANYONE in bars in Thailand I always say "I don't have any money."

Interesting to watch the girls eyes glaze over. 

You have to learn to walk among the Zombies here.

Well if they did not know before they certainly do now.