‘20 to 30 suspects took Rolls-Royce cash’

rooster59

‘20 to 30 suspects took Rolls-Royce cash’

By THE SUNDAY NATION

df4b7179e161f82df9c8169fdcc1ee32.jpeg

AUDITOR General Pisit Leelavachiropas said yesterday his agency suspected between 20 to 30 people were involved in the Rolls-Royce bribery scandal.

“It’s likely they accepted bribes,” he said, but the Office of the Auditor General would not identify them now. 

Pisit said they were waiting for details requested from anti-corruption authorities in the US and UK.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30305185

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-01-29

What is the point, of all the fuss when those concerned will have time to run and hide their assets,

fail to answer any warrant issued , fail to return from overseas to defend charges, out of the 20-30 suspects how many do you think will fall on their sword?

ill gotten gains remain just that, if these people invested those gains in rice holding and buying facilities  even then,

invoking article 44 would only cause a ripple,

maybe the suspects could ask the monk 

how to keep ignoring the law of the land once they have been identified,

The only surprise to me is that people think that this sought of behavior/business practice is an isolated case. Nothing could be further than the truth. anyone who has dealings with business here knows this is the norm and that back handers, bribes or whatever you want o call it happens all the time. We call it corruption and it is in its definitive terms. Thais would call it local business practice. I am not condoning it. as I think it stinks but it is endemic in Thai businesses practice.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha will not invoke special powers under the post-coup interim charter to expedite investigation into the scandal, Government Spokesman Lt-General Sansern Kaewkamnerd said yesterday.

The PM has resolved that for the sake of appropriateness, the anti-|corruption agencies responsible should be allowed to do their work, the spokesman said.

Says the guy who has used Article 44 hundreds of times for the most mundane things.

So is it 20, or 30? Why do they "suspect" them?

Throwing out vague figures doesn't exactly make it look like they are serious about "corruption"?

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

The only surprise to me is that people think that this sought of behavior/business practice is an isolated case. Nothing could be further than the truth. anyone who has dealings with business here knows this is the norm and that back handers, bribes or whatever you want o call it happens all the time. We call it corruption and it is in its definitive terms. Thais would call it local business practice. I am not condoning it. as I think it stinks but it is endemic in Thai businesses practice.

It's endemic throughout Thai society, and until upcoming generations have role models in high places who can set examples things will not change, and I can't see that happening any time soon. :jap:

4 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Also appears to be endemic in the UK too

5 hours ago, AGareth2 said:

one has to wonder whose name is on the list?

Well, you can be fairly sure that there will not be any "BIG" names on the list !    We can only hope that there will not be any related "suicides",  either genuine ones out of remorse, (highly inlikely) or (more likely),  dodgy ones to protect the guilty hi-sos.

6 hours ago, AGareth2 said:

one has to wonder whose name is on the list?

And when we read this:  "The PM has resolved that for the sake of appropriateness, the anti-|corruption agencies responsible should be allowed to do their work, the spokesman said."

Should read: For the sake of protecting the entitled and well connected...........................

No one will ever know who obscenely profited with impunity from this one of many deals here!!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, catinthehat said:

And when we read this:  "The PM has resolved that for the sake of appropriateness, the anti-|corruption agencies responsible should be allowed to do their work, the spokesman said."

Should read: For the sake of protecting the entitled and well connected...........................

No one will ever know who obscenely profited with impunity from this one of many deals here!!!!!!!!!!!

But, hey, what a story to tell the grandchildren one day, how you managed to get a substantial gift from no less than the prestigious Rolls Rice company.

Edited by ratcatcher

The first of the three periods RR admits to paying bribes to Thai state officials and THAI executives is the one that would need Section 44 to extend the statute of limitations on criminal prosecutions.  That period coincides with the listing of THAI and the coup government of Anand Panyarachun under the NCPK.  The influence of the air force had been dominant at the airline until the listing, to its financial detriment, and it continued to be strong for some years afterwards.  I seem to remember the air force's representative on the NCPK was a particularly controversial figure and there were allegations of self dealing over the listing.  I don't know if he is still around but I can understand why using Section 44 to stir up this putrid pot would be anathema to the NCPO.  

In addition there is always the perennial nightmare of all senior politicians, civil servants and military that graft investigations could one day get out of control and result in a witch hunt by voters and taxpayers against corrupt officials with no holds barred, the likes of which erupted in South Korea, a country that had had a similar mx of corruption and military interference in politics, in the 1980s.

In general the networks involved in this graft are too widespread and well connected to give much hope that anyone will go to jail for this eggregious theft from the nation these guys claimed to be protecting.  Some of the theft can probably be pinned on Thaksin and his cohorts and if they could be nailed in isolation without collateral damage to others, that would be a tremendously PC way to handle it in the current environment.  However, a surgical strike against the Thaksin camp alone will be impossible. So it is more likely the whole thing will go the way of the CTX scanners.  

It's very lucky for those 20-30 people that they only involved in stealing billions from the taxpayer.  If they were picking wild mushrooms in the forest, they would be dead ringers for 30 year to life sentences.

On 29/01/2017 at 9:11 AM, harada said:

It's endemic throughout Thai society, and until upcoming generations have role models in high places who can set examples things will not change, and I can't see that happening any time soon. :jap:

Er the Thailand end of this is small fry compared to what Rolls Royce have been getting up to world wide as regards bribery and corruption 

So maybe your holier than thou comments should be passed on to London and the Rolls Royce board of directors, who as normal " know nothing" and maybe they can set an example ? 

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jan/19/what-did-rolls-royce-directors-know-about-bribery-scandal-no-comment